Flat Tire EF/ED7 build

New here? Tell us who you are!
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Flat Tire EF/ED7 build

Post by Sandman »

FlatTireRacer wrote:Since I don't think a lot of you follow me on Facebook, I'll give you some sneek peaks here! (feel privileged)
I think I have like 2 ppl from here there. Admittedly I use it slightly more as well(Getting lazy I suppose) :D
The color looks great
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Well, thanks for following here, Sandman, and staying true!

Some in process pics I took...

Refinished the front filler and grill piece!

Finally got to refinishing the front lip! Hopefully the paint doesn't go all freaky flakey this time! I did a different prep on it this time *finger-crossed*

Still have some touching up to do, but it's almost complete!!

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

Looks good! That blue looks like it would look good all in that color. Not that white isn't a good color, or two tone. :)
Stand up and fight!

FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by FlatTireRacer »

The EBP would probably look amazing on the entire car, but for some reason I keep getting drawn to the two-tone look on my EF's! Lol!

FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Well, recent developments have accelerated a few things... For starters, my cousin that lives in Florida contacted me a few weeks ago. He is asking me to return to Florida to assist him with the flux of work he is supposed to be getting in 2016. Opportunities like this come once in a lifetime. With a ton of discussion between my wife and I, we both agree, this would be the best time for this and so we are moving forward. In turn, that means that the B16 will HAVE to go into the sedan before I move or it will take a really LOOOONNNGG time to get it into the car once I get out there. So I'm pulling in as much of my resources as I can before the move to make that a reality. Been doing a lot of homework towards the cams I was wanting to run and looks like I'll be going a different direction. I was going to run Crowers but have been reading a lot about those cam having trouble breaking. I can't run that risk with this being my daily so it looks like I'll be saving up a little longer for a set of Skunk2's. That means that the stock B16's will have to suffice for the time being. Oh well. Might help me save a little gas as well.

So yeah, moving to Florida in February and the B16 goes in the second week of January... (nervous as hell!)

FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by FlatTireRacer »

MERRY CHRISTMAS, YA'LL!!!

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

I hope you had nice holidays as well :)
Stand up and fight!

FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by FlatTireRacer »

They were pretty decent!

Finally got around to yanking the D16 out of my sedan! It's been an arduous journey but I finally got the damn thing shoe-horned into the friggin car!!

Once we finally got the D pulled from the car... that is when the hair pulling started. A good friend of mine was supplying most of the finishing parts for the B16... without much or any test fitting, we quickly began to discover that a lot of those parts were either wrong, damaged or just missing all together. The most frustrating was finding out that of the three starters he had, he had no B-series starters. A jumper harness someone else supplied turned out to go to another car entirely. The list goes on...

Got the engine snuggled into place with minimal casualties, the wire cover got damaged on the open side because the lifting chain crushed into it.

Since I didn't have enough time or money to get the Skunk2 intake I ultimately wanted, I opted to take my B16 intake to work and polish the runners out. Give that little bit of extra umfph!

Discovered you cannot run a 4-1 header without notching the cross member. Took it to work and dealt with that.Image

Right after we got the engine nestled in place, then I found out exactly why I have never seen a B-swap in a EF with power steering... It's physically impossible without removing a considerable chunk of core support behind the headlight. My heart broke and I sourced a manual rack and cross member.Image

The radiator hoses I ordered were apparently wrong as well. I slightly modified them to fit better, but I'm still unhappy with them.

After a week of working out kinks and bugs, she was almost ready to start...

Started getting things finalized and found out my intake was too long with the battery in place...

I still plan to figure out what factory tube I can run between the OE air box and the B16 throttlebody

We had a few scares on start-up. For starters, she immediately began throwing a code for O2 heater. We tried multiple variations at pinning and re-pinning the plug. Also, with the P28 plugged in she would crank up cold, every time, to 3000 RPM's! Eventually found out after a week of dealing with 3k start-ups, and an annoying 1k-2k throttle-bob that the B16 throttle body I had on it was malfunctioning for some reason or another. Replaced with one from a LS I had lying in my crap and she idles good now.

Cruise control works great. So relieved I got to keep one of my EX amenities. Still pisses me off about the power steering. On a better note: The springs I have on the sedan LOVE the B16! She hooks up like a pro in the corners! Just need to get her re-aligned so I'm not fighting her around every turn!

Well, pushing on to Florida is really the only thing left, now. I give back the GS-R ECU I've been running on tomorrow, as well as pick up my chipped P28.

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by 91hatchligon »

Looks beautiful!! Can't wait to see it all buttoned up. :)

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

Same thing. Waiting to see it done :)
Stand up and fight!

FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by FlatTireRacer »

I am going to try and get you gentlemen some completed pictures tomorrow!

FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Alright, I know all you guys and gals have been patiently awaiting completed pictures of the B16 in the sedan... Wait no more

I love it, because the weight of the B brought the front end back down over the 205's on the front end...

I'm blue da-boo dee dah-boo die...!

Bling-bling!!

I knew after replacing the rack that I needed to get it realigned. I didn't want to be eating up a full set of new tires just heading down to Florida!

Found out while I was there that Discount Tire lost the Enkei valve stem caps from my rear wheels that they worked on. But wait... there's more... they also scuffed the face of one the wheels AND mounted the tire backwards!!! Promptly after getting it down off the alignment rack I tore ass over to the Discount and showed them the problems I was having. They'll be ordering a new, full set of valve stem caps, sending the wheel out to get the scuff repaired and flipping the tire back on the correct way. It's just hard to find good help these days...

Well, unfortunately this will be my last picture post for a good while, because I can't transfer pics into code from my phone for some reason, but don't think I won't be coming here to say hi! form time to time. I'll source a PC somewhere that I can post up on soon! Wish me luck brothers and sisters!!!

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by 91hatchligon »

Looks absolutely beautiful!! thanks for keeping us updated. Good luck and have fun in Florida!

FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by FlatTireRacer »

Thanks for keeping up with my thread! I really appreciate it!

Little update. A week after a got to Florida I decided one Friday evening to head out for a little cruise. I drove over to Tampa and went out across one of the Causeway crossing the bay. On the other side I pulled into a gas station, bought a Sprite and went to head back out. As I went from first to second the transmission said it had enough and the differential popped. It blew a hole out the top of the case and left me stranded in the middle of the road. It turned into a long night after that. I finally got my roadside assistance to come pick me up and luckily I was in range of LHT Performance. I stayed the night in the car and the next morning made arrangements to leave the car with them to replace the transmission. Most expensive Sprite I have ever bought! Smh. Anyways, the car is back on the road, trans works great, and I am supposed to be going to a big EF meet this coming weekend!

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by 91hatchligon »

Glad to here its back on the road. On the bright side now you have a fresh trans that should last a good while :D

My civic is sitting in the garage with no engine while I wait for a JDM SOHC ZC that I ordered from Cali, So I was driving my summer toy a 74 MG Midget around for work and the throughout bearing decided after 30+ years that it had enough, lucky me I was only a block from home when that happened. Now I'm stuck driving a very sad/scary looking full size 84 Ram Van until my engine shows up.