1990 civic std project.

New here? Tell us who you are!
janz3n
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

1990 civic std project.

Post by janz3n »

Hi, im new as you can tell. im from canada, originally from ontario but moved to alberta a few months ago. after finding a job i realized that i actually had money to play with so i wanted to start a project that i have wanted to do for years back in ontario.

first part was hard, finding a good condition 88-91 civic hatch ( really wanted a crx but they are either stupid expensive or in horrible shape ). after a good 2 weeks of searching for a car i found this one for $500, engine was shot and i got the owner to trailer it an hour to my place for $75. thought i got a great deal.

first day i got it.

only real bad spot of rust on the whole car, not bad for being from the country but alberta also doesnt use salt. this thing is in better condition than my 97 hatch i recently sold.

old car in Saskatchewan (about) in the summer with my girlfriend , dog , and cat. took 5 days and i never got it into 5 gear. had to throw stuff out of the trailer about 30 minutes into the drive because it was over heating. almost didnt make it up one hill going flat out in 1st gear.

anyways. let the car sit for a week or two while i got used to my new job (apprentice mechanic at a nissan dealer)
so i started ripping into the interior.
4 speed std.
interior was out except for the upper trim panels and dash.
removed antenna and was happy to see no rust under the cover.
little bit of a rat nest in the trunk. actually the mouse ended up in my girlfriends 1.6 el and chewed up the trunk area a bit. put a mouse trap in the trunk and got the little guy.
took off the bra and again, no rust on the hood, its just dirt. also found about 10 pens and markers under it.
money shot.

picked up a rear disc swap for cheap probably needs calipers, needs rotors pads and im replacing trailing arm bushings. also got a rear sway bar with links and mounts and a cheapy ram air intake with filter.
so the whole reason why i bought this car was to have a daily driver. but once i started getting in to it i realized that it wont be done for a while so i probably better get another vehicle so i can get to work. so i picked this up for $1300 with 180 000km. needed a thermostat and also needs intake gaskets but it runs and i only live 5 minutes from work.
fast forward to a could more weeks later.
started getting at it again. removed the front bumper and filler ( filler removal not pictured )
found a stereo downstairs so i put it in the garage.
at this point alberta was getting cold and i wasnt motivated at all. untill i started the gas heater in the garage.
removed all a/c lines, condenser, dryer, rad support, rad, removed oem intake box, cable for clutch, throttle cable etc.
then removed the intake manifold to make removing the harness a lot easier.
was getting board at this point so i had some lunch.
then went back out. jacked up the front, removed wheels and sprayed every bolt with wd40.removed axle nuts ( every diy garage swap iv seen everyone had trouble with these with no impact gun, i just used a 1/2 inch ratchet and a regular hammer and beat the poop out of it till it came loose, it was easy )
drained the transmission fluid and removed shift linkage because the bitch pin is my least favorite thing to do and i wanted to get it over with .

thats all for now, i was going to post a reply with out putting everything on one page but for some reason i cant find the reply button, maybe its part of the forum rules and i only have one post a day?

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 1990 civic std project.

Post by Sandman »

Looks good. :)
The reply button was missing because the member rides section is for single posts gving information about your car. I moved this topic to "wo is who" where most ppl post their builds.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

janz3n
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by janz3n »

thanks a lot man.

last night while waiting for my girlfriend to get home from work i worked on the civic a little in preparation for some stuff im getting saturday.
removed dash and steering column. i didnt realize the std model had no tilt steering untill i read some other std project. lucky for me im getting a full si interior along with some other things from a part out.

my parts pile keeps getting bigger and the sad thing is most will be thrown out because no one in edmonton likes to buy used parts, at least for older civics.

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

Alot of people on here can always use some little odds n ends. If you're gonna throw 'em away anyway, I'm sure people would be glad to pay for shipping and your trip to the post office ;)
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Word. Welcome man, nice deals you get on everything in there :D .
It's progressing fast.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

2 Stroke Toy Chest
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 2 Stroke Toy Chest »

good stuff you have going there , and greetings

janz3n
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by janz3n »

i guess i could ship parts if people want to pay for shipping. i just didnt think anyone would want any std stock parts? if anyone wants something let me know. iv never shipped parts before so i'll need instructions.

also i dont work that fast. iv been working at this for over a month now. i find it slow lol.

upgraded my tool box at work so now im bringing my old one home for the garage.

Superhatch
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Superhatch »

Cant wait to see how this turns out!

janz3n
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by janz3n »

Removed the drivers side cv shaft last night. Didn't have time to completely remove the suspension.

Picking up some si stuff today.

janz3n
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by janz3n »

just a little throw back to my old 1991 civic sedan special edition. it was pretty rusty so i painted it and did a little body work. i wasnt making much money as i was about 19-22 when i owned it and had a shitty paying job as a auto body apprentice.
had a sohc zc engine with a dohc zc tune.
so many things i would have done different if i still had it and it didnt rust out.

it had si seats in it, i dont know how i got them to fit at all. probably wasnt safe at all.

heres one with my friends red sedan.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

It was a real SE?
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

janz3n
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by janz3n »

yes, it was a rear SE. i removed the center piece on the trunk to a regular one though, and i tinted the tail lights and the center piece a darker red.

worked on the civic a bit today. waiting a couple more hours to go get my si stuff.

removed all the front suspension. going to install new bushings on the lower control arm. not sure if im going to go with a camber kit upper control arm or not, or just stock ones. im also wondering if i should just go with the si front brakes or do the DA integra knuckles. i dont plan on "slamming" this car as i want something functional and i would like to take it to a track one day, so the DA knuckles may be a good idea.
heres all the pos std scrap metal. i removed the bolt holding the shock forks on easily. last time i tried that in ontario i broke both bolts into the fork. got to love no salt on the roads.

i'm also probably going to end up getting a traction bar to clean up the front of the engine bay. so i removed the stock trailing arms as well. cant wait to actually start putting stuff back together.

for suspension i'll probably get a one piece coil over with adjustable perch, i had k sports 32way adjustable coilovers on my ek and i loved them. pretty much everything i need will have to be ordered online, i miss toronto.

janz3n
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by janz3n »

i just quickly looked up traction bars and it seems like they're mostly for drag racing, i knew there were to prevent wheel hop, is there any purpose in getting one for a street/ occasional track car? would i be better off just getting some stiffer bushings for the stock bars and save my money for something els?

91EFbluehatch
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Post by 91EFbluehatch »

janz3n wrote:i just quickly looked up traction bars and it seems like they're mostly for drag racing, i knew there were to prevent wheel hop, is there any purpose in getting one for a street/ occasional track car? would i be better off just getting some stiffer bushings for the stock bars and save my money for something els?
most people will use a traction bar because it allows them to use a 92-95 civic half radiator.
especially if you are running a turbo build, or a b series, and your header or turbo mani cannot clear your stock radiator.
91 CIVIC hatch. b16a2 in the works

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

And it cleans the front of the bay. 8)