1988 Civic LX Sedan auto to manual

Anything 4th gen non-TECH
TtheDon

1988 Civic LX Sedan auto to manual

Post by TtheDon »

what are the approximate costs of switching an automatic to a manual? is it worth it or just better to invest into an manual ?

cjohnsontech
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Re: 1988 Civic LX Sedan auto to manual

Post by cjohnsontech »

I don't know the costs but I've heard alot of debate on this particular topic... It seems like most people will say to just buy a manual car and start from there. But I know quite a few guys that have done the conversion (mostly because they had invested so much time and money in their current setup that they didn't want to start over) and they have been very pleased with the end result.
Trying to keep my page current with worthwhile information. PM me if you want me to add something:
http://www.cjohnsontech.com

TtheDon

Post by TtheDon »

That is true, it might be easier to just get a manual and build up from there, only thing is with the older civic the engines will run but parts always need to be replaced, and its always a risk when buying one from another when you truly do not know when parts will give, my 88 i have prob put out over 3-4000$ in just parts over 4 years, original engine has only about 250 kms and body is ok but underneath is rusted to the point no one will safety, now my final decision will be to scrap it, disassemble it myself, or wait till i get a heap of cash and restore it.

cjohnsontech
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by cjohnsontech »

I think that puts you with the majority of all the other members on this forum. And it sounds like you're in the same boat as my friends who have done the swap for the reasoning of already investing into their then-current automatic. Another option for you if you're having rust options, find a decent manual body and work from there. Since you already have all the parts (besides transmission) you could ever need with a working engine and running car, it seems like your existing car would be a perfect donor car for your next car...
Trying to keep my page current with worthwhile information. PM me if you want me to add something:
http://www.cjohnsontech.com

TtheDon

Post by TtheDon »

Thanks for the insight man, i think i will invest into a civic hatch 1995-2000 manual to start off