which engine would do the job?

Anything 4th gen non-TECH
caljank

which engine would do the job?

Post by caljank »

Howdy,
I am new to the forum, and truth be told new to Honda vehicles. I've predominately owned domestic vehicles till about a month ago.

I was given a 91 4 door civic dx. The previous owner began to turn it into a mini pickup truck. I plan to finish the job and hopefully make it look decent. Here is a link to what i hope the finished product to resemble.http://www.thezcr.com/gallery/showphoto ... 90/cat/500

The civic has the stock engine and tranny with about 212k on them. I'd like to make this my commuter to and from work (about 90 miles + 4 days =130 miles a week). I don't really know the realistic longevity of a Honda 4 cylinder that has been reasonably well maintained, but I figure at some point I'm gonna need a new engine and maybe tranny. I am looking to put some pep into it without going overboard. I am trying not to break the hot rod rule "never make your daily driver your hot rod or your hot rod your daily driver".

So, what (in your experience and estimation) would be a reasonable goal to shoot for an engine/tranny combo that gives me pep, but doesn't cost me thousands and leave me with my daily driver in the garage for a month?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Re: which engine would do the job?

Post by 91hatchligon »

Your first thing you would want to do would be converting to multipoint injection, that alone would give you some bump in power. Next thing you would want if you wanted more power would be a VTEC capable engine such as a D16Y8. There are many many other options to have more power but that's where you get into more work then it sounds like you would want. There are many different right ups and how to's on how to do all of this available on this forum and others.

caljank

Post by caljank »

sweet, thanks.
Will definitely start with multi point. how about longevity for the motor and transmission already in my civic? Any idea how many miles i should be able to get out of it before the swap is necessary?

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by 91hatchligon »

It really all depends on how the car was and will be driven and how well it was taken care of before you got it such as oil changes, maintenance, timing belt and so on.

caljank

Post by caljank »

Thanks, here is a picture of my Civic (if this works)

kspraker
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by kspraker »

280k (miles) on mine and counting - taken care of every 5k by the dealer until I bought it. It is driven daily (by my daughter) now. No issues. Just put a timing belt on it myself, some new front axles, and now awaiting some new struts for the rear.
1991 DX Hatch - bone stock - well not the stereo - but the rest is!!