My car doesn´t start or has other problems: troubleshooting

Anything 4th gen TECH related

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Re: My car doesn´t start or has other problems: troubleshoot

Post by el_jelly »

If it has been sitting for so long without turning it on then the battery probably is dead. Push the car (someone to help could be nice) and while rolling put in on first and drop the clutch, it should start.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

mass13
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by mass13 »

The battery wasn't completely dead but enough. Anyways I changed the alternator and jumped the battery and now it starts up. It still has a loss of power though. It has new plugs, wires, alternator, fuel filter, water pump, timing belt, head gasket and coolant temp sensor. Timing is correct. It idles fine but if you tap the gas it lags a little and also when u take off until it gets up to like 2k. anyone have any suggestions? I'm kinda lost atm. Also the cooling fan works but takes a long time to come on.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Check the previous page for symptoms and possible solutions.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

gregy

Post by gregy »

would it be a bad starter or engine for this prob?

bigblkblazin

Post by bigblkblazin »

Thanks for that. used it yesterday after dying in middle of thw street

deathmonkey
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by deathmonkey »

Please add bad Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) to the funky idle part of the FAQ.
I didn't see how to list location in a very limited exploration of the user control panel, so I live in Arkansas. Geographically it's in the southeastern United States.

caddy

Post by caddy »

I have a 1990 Civic SI
It sat for couple years
itz been started resently, but didn't stay idle
needs work
562-972-9723
la habra, ca.
How do I post picz on here?

Moratto

Post by Moratto »

Moratto

Post by Moratto »

I had a similar problem just 2 days ago, if I knew about this thread it would have been fixed a long while ago. Great thread indeed, thanks for the thread.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Revamped thread, more symptoms and solutions added 8)

cjohnsontech
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by cjohnsontech »

Yeah... I'll be reading through all of that later today... Looks like I found another Go-To for information. It's like a useful Wiki! LOL
Trying to keep my page current with worthwhile information. PM me if you want me to add something:
http://www.cjohnsontech.com

King

Post by King »

1991 Honda Civic LX Sedan

Got this car a little more than a year ago, was totaled and rebuilt/repaired. Been running like brand new, until a noise started coming from the engine, and as i drove it longer the noise got louder and lasted longer. Sort of a screeching/high pitch noise. Had someone look at it said it could be coming from the distributor and needed to be cleaned / or replace the distributor cap, rotor, and gasket. A "shade tree mechanic" said it was the whole distributor stock needs to be replaced. Now I cant get the car to turn over/get started at all, just the sound like its about start while turning the ignition key. all of the lights and radio work. Totally clueless on the situation, so i was hoping you could shine some light on my problem/problems I'm experiencing.

Please reply / send copy to
Email : jorodric@yahoo.com

Mac Listo
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Mac Listo »

My car sometimes turns on but more often does not turn on and just turns over. I replaced the fuel filter and replaced the main relay. I am trying to avoid replacing the fuel pump. Anybody have any ideas?

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by 91hatchligon »

1.When you turn the key to the on position can you here the fuel pump prime the system? it a buzzing/humming noise from the rear.
2. Are you getting spark when its not starting? If not is could be the coil or the ignition module.
3. Dose it seem not start more often when hot?
4. Have you had it die while driving?

jmdinn

Post by jmdinn »

Alright. I no longer have any idea what's going on. So, if you know what might be happening here, I'm all ears:

I've got a great little 1991 Civic DX, 1.5L manual. It's never let me down and I love working on it.

Stalled on the highway a couple weeks ago and I couldn't get it re-started. Over the years, it's had a bit of a personality where it chugs and occasionally stalls at a low idle, or when very slowly accelerating from a stop. If I'm sitting still, I'll turn the key to full off, give it about 30 seconds, and it'll start right back up. For whatever reason just re-starting without turning off never seemed to work.

So since it stalled on the highway and I wasn't able to get it started at all, here's the list I've replaced or completed:
- main relay
- fuel filter
- plug wires
- spark plugs (the old ones were due, but not overdue, and all four were pretty fouled with burned oil and had oil in the wells)
- spark plug well o-rings and valve cover gaskets
- and fully charged the battery

At this point, if I let it sit until it's cool, it'll start right back up with no trouble. Then once it warms, it starts to run a bit rough, eventually chugs, stalls, and then I can't get it started again - spins a few times, then kinda sticks, then spins a few times, and kinda sticks again.

Any ideas??