91 Civic Hatchback DX Engine concerns

Anything 4th gen TECH related

gadawg31

91 Civic Hatchback DX Engine concerns

Post by gadawg31 »

Hello everyone, I need some information in order to determine what kind of mess I may be getting into or if I should not worry. I have a friend that is wanting to sell his sons 91 civic. From what I was able to get from the VIN was that it is a 91 Civic Hatchback DX, with a 1.5L L4 SOHC 16 valve engine and 4 speed manual transmission. My concern is that his sons states that he put a 1.6L on a 1.5L and the only thing his dad and I can figure, is he is talking about a head swap. If that is the case and this being an interference motor, should we be looking for anything particular? We have not tried to start it, to see if the motor is free, but we are worried that maybe the timing is out or the valves may be bent, etc... Before I fork over any money, I want to rule out any major issues. Any ideas from those who have done these types of conversion? Also, can I pick-up a stock head and go back stock? Finally, I was told that if he in fact did a head swap, there were some electrical issue that would have had to be done. Anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JD

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 91 Civic Hatchback DX Engine concerns

Post by Sandman »

Finding out if the whole engine is swapped is easy, just look at the front left side(looking at the car) of the block. You'll see a flat piece that'll have the engine code stamped on it(it'll probably be covered in dirt/grime). If it's just the head it won't matter a lot, they're about the same(the smaller 1.2-1.4 heads lack an oil passage that the injection models have). The cam will be the biggest difference from a 1.5 to a 1.6.

As long as the timing is correct you shouldn't have problems with bent valves(unless they were bent to begin with).
if it's been converted to mpfi from dpfi it's possible that who ever made the swap made mistakes. Knowing what kind of an electrical problem the car has would help.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

gadawg31

Post by gadawg31 »

Thanks sandman. According to all my research with the vin and other forums, the d15b2 is already Mori engine. I found the spot on the engine and it has D15B2 stamped on the engine. With that said, I saw a picture today of a D15B2 engine and it was presented as a DPFI and that is how this engine looks. Could it be possible that an entire engine swap was done, but I can't see why they would go to a DPFI engine, instead of an mpfi one. Still researching and trying to get more details from the owner.

gadawg31

Post by gadawg31 »

Sandman, I confirmed the head was the only swap made and it was with a 1.6L. Trying to see if he remembers which one he used, but I can also look on the head itself from what I am being told. Another issue I am running into is the following: would you happen to know or anybody for that matter, which transmission this car was supposed to come with. I am getting conflicting data from online and the owner. When I searched the VIN, it came back as a 5speed, the title has 4speed and in this forum, one of the spec guides I saw has it listed as a 4 or 5speed. Any thoughts? Thanks.

JD

Moratto

Post by Moratto »

1991 Civic Hatchback DX Difference Between 1.5L and 1.6L

There are a whole bunch of comparison facts between 1.5L and 1.6L on this wiki…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic

Take a look and see what you come up with…