88 Sedan Front brake upgrade?

Anything 4th gen TECH related

88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

88 Sedan Front brake upgrade?

Post by 88lxer »

I have an LX sedan. A few years back, with your help, I performed a D15B2 to ZC swap and replaced many other worn parts (all susp bushings, engine mounts, bearings, wheels, tires, windshield, etc.). I feel like the car could stop a little better and was considering replacing the calipers with Wilwood and bigger rotors. Stopped by a local Honda shop and the guy told me not to bother. He said just replace the stock hoses with braided steel lines and try some different pads since the car is so light. What do you guys think?

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 88 Sedan Front brake upgrade?

Post by Sandman »

Brakes are the ones that stop you from having an accident. I would not forget about them. Now being USDM I can't be sure, but I'd make sure I'd at least have the SI brakes on there. Preferably 4x discs because that's what the EDM ZC came with(in fact all the 1.6 models but still). I would probably not put braded lines on the car if you plan on using it on the street more than on the track. I love how the braded lines and upgraded pads work on my hatch on the track, but I dare say that in everyday use I prefer the stock brakes on my sedan.

I'd look up something like a integra and see if if has adaptable brakes(I know it's been done but as I said, not common here so I can't be dead sure about the fitting of these).
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by 88lxer »

Thanks Sandman. I failed to mention in the first post that the car has OEM accessory wheels that are 14s. They look a bit like HX wheels. I'll do some research on Si calipers and rotors. The original calipers are single piston and don't appear to robust.

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

All of them should be single piston. The size and ventilation is what changes(on civics anyway). 14" is the standard size for 1.6 models.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500