What do you do for a living ?

Anything not 4th gen related
somedude88
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Re: What do you do for a living ?

Post by somedude88 »

I can't say haven't tried to get a job in IT since I got my A+ certification and trying to get a bench tech job repairing computers, was unsuccessful, that was before college but I had to study a lot to get that piece of paper.

All we can do is get the education while we can and cross our fingers... it will come in handy one way or another, whether the eco comes back or we move to somewhere that's better. Frankly I live in Detroit, MI, so I'm thinking anywhere is better than here, but I've got some roots tying me down.

somedude88
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Post by somedude88 »

el_jelly wrote:Something that could complement or help in the profession you choose. If you want to go in the mechanics field to work strictly with cars and on your own then a major in management, business adm. or finance may help a lot. Want to work in a car company, dealership, etc then a major in the ones mentioned or also in economics, human resources, psychology, accounting or some general science may help you in the long run to climb the management ladder. Forget those areas like engineering, IT and computer science, those are too focused on theory and not real world application like car mech.
You would need a degree though if you want to work on them?, electrical engineering. Cars are getting more complicated (electric plugins hybrids solar other alternative energies/technologies)and the day to day grease monkey can fix the suspension but if there are any motor drive problems or high voltage repairs, look out for more certification requirements. No experience in working on cars for a living but that's my "theory" but then again... I'm just an IT guy. :)

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Cars are more technical, mechanical. By the time the world have enough hybrids or cars with highly advanced electronic systems I bet the common everyday mechanic will still be working on them, not engineers or people with advanced degrees. I know mechanics that don't have any kind of degree just high school diploma, and yet armed with a multimeter, an obd scanner and some shop manuals they can trace out any problem related to electronic stuff in modern economic cars like civics, corollas, mazdas, nissans, and koreans which are the bread-and-butter of the world. Obviously if one wants to gain expertise in advanced cars like hybrids or modern bmws, mercedes, porsches, etc. then you he/she must train for that.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

somedude88
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Post by somedude88 »

good point, technologies are coming out slow enough for existing mechanics to learn them as they are introduced.

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

Victor wrote:Is it just me or are you feeling like school is a big waste of money right now?
Yes ...I work at one of those community colleges, and they are a waste of money (for most people)...point is education is just a big industrial complex...Most CC's are over charging people for 2 years (if you're lucky and bypass any remedials) of mostly misery and marginal educations, so that they can get an official document stating that they can do something that they have either:
A) Never actually done.
or
B) Could have probably learned to do on their own without going into debt.
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?

Victor
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Victor »

91B16AHB wrote:
Victor wrote:Is it just me or are you feeling like school is a big waste of money right now?
Yes ...I work at one of those community colleges, and they are a waste of money (for most people)...point is education is just a big industrial complex...Most CC's are over charging people for 2 years (if you're lucky and bypass any remedials) of mostly misery and marginal educations, so that they can get an official document stating that they can do something that they have either:
A) Never actually done.
or
B) Could have probably learned to do on their own without going into debt.

Exactly! I know people that even have bachelor's degrees and are still working hourly jobs and even a couple are unemployed. ridiculous amount of money spent into have proof that you've sat in a classroom and studied about a subject. Not to mention all those extra classes you have to take for no reason other than to fill your credit requirements

gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by gtviper2178 »

yep, i've seen alot of people have that same problem, go to school and have so much degrees and years of education and still work low jobs. looks like we all need a morale boost.

91EFbluehatch
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Post by 91EFbluehatch »

^^I work as a lifeguard. ;D
91 CIVIC hatch. b16a2 in the works

civic4Gdx4dr
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by civic4Gdx4dr »

I do security

Chiny
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Chiny »

I work as a case manager at a pharmaceutical company doing reporting to the FDA

F22A1
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by F22A1 »

graphic design, advertising and architectural design. I also work as a scenic artist in Union Local 829.

Northwesteclipse

Post by Northwesteclipse »

Just recently got a job at Fry's electronics.

89red Si
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by 89red Si »

im a student in college. also worked in a auto shop, now work in a grocery store haha. not totally sure what i want to do for a career, but love journalism. i dream of hopefully landing a job writing about cars. been trying to find a way to write online for now, maybe i ll eventually start an automotive blog or something.
1989 Honda Civic Si "red" and gold. ZC build in process.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

That's the best and easiest way to land a future job in a good mag or other place, get a blog and try to write stuff yourself, not copy/pasting everything from other blogs or pages like a lot of bloggers do. ;)
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

talonc1

Post by talonc1 »

I work for a tow boating company Ingram Barge Co. I've been out on the river for three years now. The hours kind of suck. Six hrs on six off then six on six off... It will keep you really tired the first week getting use to the up and down everyday. I stay out on the boat for 28 days at a time mostly then home for another 28. I'm on my way to getting a job in the engine room here so next semester ill also be doing school part time. Not to bad a life when you get use to it.