Super off-topic thread

Anything not 4th gen related
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Super off-topic thread

Post by Sandman »

Thank you! :)
Since winter is around the corner(snowing as we speak) I've got nothing. But I do have very close ties to a locall MC so getting help in getting one is not a problem(I've already been offered a loaner). I've been looking at a yamaha virago or a honda shadow. A cheap cruizer in any case.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

kspraker
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by kspraker »

Okay you young guys - old guy here (45) has decided I want a tatoo. Probably upper arm so I can hide it (I wear a tie all day long). Any advice? I have a charcoal drawing that I know the artist and have his permission to have it done. I'd like to give the tatoo artist references for the proper colors but wanted to hear thoughts from those who have 'em.

1. Is color harder/easier/same to have done?
2. Is color harder/easier/same to maintain (I'm aware of sun fading colors)?
3. Is color harder/easier/same for healing (since I have to have clothes over it most of the time)?

Any and all opinions welcome.
1991 DX Hatch - bone stock - well not the stereo - but the rest is!!

Bassdude404
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Bassdude404 »

Sandman wrote:Thank you! :)
Since winter is around the corner(snowing as we speak) I've got nothing. But I do have very close ties to a locall MC so getting help in getting one is not a problem(I've already been offered a loaner). I've been looking at a yamaha virago or a honda shadow. A cheap cruizer in any case.
Honda Shadow 750 line is a great bike to start out on...Can get them for a great price on the used market, and if you out grow the bike in a year or so, can make your $$ back on it...I have my 1st bike, a '73 Honda CB 350 that I'm restoring, and gonna have my wife use it for a learner bike..After she gets done dropping it in the yard and that, I'll go ahead and repaint it, finishing the resto...Then we'll get her a Shadow 750 Aero....Then we'll start saving and planning for a 2-3 week vacation on the bikes, riding from our home in Northern Indiana to the Grand Canyon and back..Taking scenic routes, stopping at friend's places along the way that said we could stay the night to save $$ over a motel room...

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

The ppl I know(the president of the MC is my father) do loads of long trips during the summer. The longest one was about 5000km(about 3100miles) all over europe. As the web admin(among others things) I've been there as a support car a few times. Next summer I'll be the with a bike.

All the shadows I've seen have been 600's. It could be that that's all we got here. In the end I don't care how big the engine is(as long as it's not tiny) since the feeling and the sound is what matters! :) It can't be too expensive, since between 2 cars and 1 bike the insurance companies have the potential to rape me.

Here's a nice scenic shot I took back in 2007 when I was at a bigger club meeting. the bikes in the pic are just one tenth of the ones present. My ZC in it's old form, two harleys and a virago.

Stand up and fight!

Bassdude404
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Bassdude404 »

A former co-worker (I switched jobs in June) bought a Honda VLX600 at the beginning of this year...REALLY nice bike, and he got it at a great price...

Last summer my wife and I spent 10 days on the bike, logged 2619 miles and covered 8 states...Best vacation we've ever had, and hoping to do it again as soon as I get some vacation time built up....Here's a link to the thread on the motorcycle site I'm a regular on...LOT'S of pictures...

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/6 ... ation-EVER!!!!

Been around bikes my entire life, as my dad and his buddies always had at least one bike, and mostly Honda's...Most of my local buds here at home have Harley's and ask why I bought the Honda...Told them I've always had them, and just stuck with that brand...They've never let me down...I'm into pretty much anything with an engine and wheels (huge motorsports fan), but we take every opportunity during warm weather to get out on the bike and add some miles on the odometer... 8)

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

i'm kind of between a virago and a shadow. Where the virago is more familiar I like the lower, more massive look of the shadow.

Now the bad part of this. I just paid the bill for the upgraded in my license....it's 500€.
Stand up and fight!

Bassdude404
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Bassdude404 »

Found some pics of that VLX 600 Shadow...Took them when I worked at previous job and they were paving the parking lot...I talked the boss into letting us guys with bikes park on a concrete pad at the building next to ours while they were paving...

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

Sweet. Just what I want. :)

On an other note, it's the first proper winter day(snow and the temp is -20c or -4f). Nothing major as long as you have proper clothing...what annoys me is that this wind raped shed called work seems to be just as cold. Turn up the heat ffs.
Stand up and fight!

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

-4F......... how luck I am to be in the tropics 8)
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

interesting comparo: http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/US/FI

what you think sandman?
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

I agree with that with the exception of money. True enough our highest paying jobs aren't anything close to the mega millions US company leaders make, but on the other hand we don't have any jobs that pay as poorly as US minimum wage pays. Over here you get enough to live on even if you're unemployed.
Stand up and fight!

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

Happy Independence day to all the Finns on the board!
Even if there are very little of us and most of us are semi-active!

Not the war that won us independence, but one of the best cases of Finnish Sisu! As a musician said: Sisu is sort of like guts, not giving up and bull headedness rolled in to one. To all the people who fought for us, this Jaeger thanks you! (yes, that was my military rank).
Stand up and fight!

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

That had to be hard since "nobody fucks with a russian" :o

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

With a nation as small as ours it's nothing short of a miracle. But just goes to show, never give up no matter how big the challenge is! Some of the stories I've heard have been just mind boggling to listen to. There are a good number of the veterans still alive today.

Sort of a legacy of the wars is that every man in Finland has to do military service(some opt. for a civilian version).

Just a few of the interesting stories. One soldier made 505 confirmed sniper kills in just 105 days without using a scope, while an other one got the rank of captain in 3 different countries, Finland, Nazi Germany and finaly in the USA as a green beret(he was killed in Vietnam).

The sniper, Simo Häyhä, AKA "White Death" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä
The man who fought under three flags, Lauri Törni aka Larry Thorne http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauri_Törni
Stand up and fight!

gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by gtviper2178 »

on the same note, i've officially enlisted into the united states army and im being shipped out for basic training on February 12th!! my job is wheeled vehicle mechanic and im looking forward to it. also everyone has been asking me what im gonna do with my ef so i plan to leave it at a buddies house to take care of it while im gone.