Bought my first handgun, are you feeling lucky punk? :D

Anything not 4th gen related
cougar289
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Bought my first handgun, are you feeling lucky punk? :D

Post by cougar289 »

I've been wanting a good handgun for awhile, couldn't ever make up my mind. Seems like everyone has 9mm's or .40cal's, semi-auto handguns, cheap High-Point, Taurus, Glock's, etc...but I've always had a love for good ole fashioned revolvers. I came across a nice Smith & Wesson 629-1 4" barrel .44 magnum revolver for a fair price, and couldn't pass up the deal. It's in great condition, about a 1984 - 1985 year. I love this gun, so much power, a good hard recoil, and ear busting LOUD. The way it sounds in the iPhone video does absolutely NO justice for how loud it is.

A mix between a modern firearm, and a old cowboy shooter 8) . Going to hang onto this thing for awhile. I've got a few others shotguns and old rifles, but this is my only handgun. Dirty Harry style ;D

Any other gun-owners here on civic4g?

Here's a video of me shooting it for the first time, standard 240 grain Magnum rounds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNPRBZR1caY

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Re: Bought my first handgun, are you feeling lucky punk? :D

Post by el_jelly »

FTW O0
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

bracer
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bracer »

Nice gun :)
Absolutely no way you could get anything like that over here lol
2007 325i
Ex 1991 Porsche 944 S2
Ex 1990 1.6i-VT Hatchback

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

If chezuki still be here he would give lots of opinions on this topic ;D
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

cougar289
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by cougar289 »

That's right I forgot a lot of the members here live in countries where guns are heavily controlled.

Here in West Virginia (and the USA in general) our gun laws are so loose. There are gun stores everywhere, you can buy them in the shopping malls, grocery stores, classified ads, pawn shops. There's seriously a store in the local shopping mall here that sells everything from snow skiing equipment, to assault rifles, to hand guns. Every Wal-Mart grocery store has a small arsenal of shotguns and rifles, aswell as ammunition for them. I bought this gun from an online classified ad from a guy in Texas. Our state laws don't even require you to register your firearms.

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

bracer wrote:Nice gun :)
Absolutely no way you could get anything like that over here lol
It's hard over here as well. Even if a while back we were ranked third with weapons per capita. Not surprising that the US was first, followed by Yemen of all places. Finland was third. :D
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/08/ ... 3820070828

We've had some shootings so they're making it harder for people to get handguns. Getting hunting rifles and shotguns have remained the same. Every man has to do military service. When there, you get too familiar of the weight of the standard issue assault rifle :D
For me it was the rk 95 tp
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

2 Stroke Toy Chest
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 2 Stroke Toy Chest »

The us west coast is not as leinet about fire arms as the east is , mostly stipulations on clip size , bullet type, and and weapon type .I know out there you have swap meets ( or a giant gun sales ) were you can walk out the front door with a case of frag grenades , a ak or sks and high grain rounds with no issues . Ca in perticular , wants to be the front runner of gun saftey laws :banghead: but after the things we have had happen it is slightly understandable .
our Wal- marts have basic ammo , and the cheap chinese weapons. But we have a few other sporting good stores that can supply you properly .

I am still a fan of the primitive weapons :o , ie; bows, throwing knives , hatchets and tomahawks

gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by gtviper2178 »

over here in NYC gun control laws are pretty strict. being pulled over with any kind of weapon means your being arrested on the spot. its pretty hard as well to find any stores that sells guns, and only one that does that i know of is Dicks sporting goods and they're more for just hunting.

90hatch268
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by 90hatch268 »

i laughed when u got all giggly in the vid

the cities here in oklahoma is fairly strict, but theres a gun show about every other week where almost anyone can walkout with a gun. no 3 day wait or anything. usually not even an i.d.
whenever i would travel for work and i'd have to go out in the country it seemed i was the only person without a gun on their dash... also the only person who had seen a dentist or even a shower.. damn rednecks

Bassdude404
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Bassdude404 »

Buying this tomorrow...... :headbang:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/index.html

Will fit perfectly in my inside pocket of my leather jacket or my vest while on the motorcycle, and not be obvious....My wife and I head out alot of times on the bike and just ride roads we've never been on...Sometimes we travel throough some rough neighborhoods (Chicago, IL/Gary, IN/etc) and she gets a bit nervous when that happens...Don't do it on purpose, but you don't always have a choice and have to go where the road goes...Hope to god I never have to use it, but if it comes down to it, I WILL use it if need be....

deathmonkey
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by deathmonkey »

I inherited a large cache of rifles, shotguns, handguns, machine guns, etc from my father. They were held in a type of escrow service until I could obtain a Class III permit. So long as you can fill out forms properly and prove that you've never been convicted of anything besides basic traffic stuff (preferably at least 3 years prior) and never been deemed a threat to yourself or others by a shrink, or had a restraining order against you then you can have pretty much anything with a class III and a couple of choice additions to it.

but I must say that out of all of the handguns I inherited my favorite has got to be the CZ 75. I've got an old "pre-B" from 1976 and a new CZ 75 SP-01 that I bought just because I felt like kicking hundreds of dollars at the CZ factory in the Czech Republic, and it has a cool rail on it that I can stick a really bright flashlight on so I can make sure that what I'm shooting at isn't a drunken neighbor or something like that. I've put about 15k rounds of 115gr handloaded 9mm FMJ through the SP01 and between me and my dad there's over 200k on the old CZ, but it has a particular maintenance regimen with my gunsmith that keeps it functioning in spectacular fashion.

I love guns and responsible gun owners. Every time I see some fu**nugget doing something stupid in America with a gun on TV I die a little bit inside.
I didn't see how to list location in a very limited exploration of the user control panel, so I live in Arkansas. Geographically it's in the southeastern United States.

Moratto

Post by Moratto »

Bassdude404 wrote:Buying this tomorrow...... :headbang:

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/index.html

Will fit perfectly in my inside pocket of my leather jacket or my vest while on the motorcycle, and not be obvious....My wife and I head out alot of times on the bike and just ride roads we've never been on...Sometimes we travel throough some rough neighborhoods (Chicago, IL/Gary, IN/etc) and she gets a bit nervous when that happens...Don't do it on purpose, but you don't always have a choice and have to go where the road goes...Hope to god I never have to use it, but if it comes down to it, I WILL use it if need be....
I've only ever shot air rifles & fake bb versions of guns & such, but having one of those in your pocket is something else... What actually can happen driving through a rough neighbourhood? Someone just starts something with you & guns be popping?

deathmonkey
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by deathmonkey »

Google search for "banging in little rock" to see what parts of my hometown and current city was when I was in ~pre K- ~2nd grade before Bill Clinton got elected president and they hired a SHITLOAD of cops for the inauguration party and they've grown the number of police since then. We got a pretty awesome S.W.A.T team (real Arkansans can shoot) so generally doesn't get as crazy as it did.

So I carry it because I like it, and sometimes crazy shit happens, but not excessively based on nationwide statistics for an area with similar population and population density in the US. I have some friends that live in the ghetto, flanked on two sides by a housing project and a continuum of crackhouses in the same crappy little apartment complex. That neighborhood is one of the neighborhoods that was in the HBO documentary.

I also just like to shoot. Having the concealed carry license makes police interactions less stressful and that's handy because The Middle of Nowhere is less than an hour from my house and I like to shoot, and The Middle of Nowhere is the best place every to shoot and burn things. But I mention police because they're sticklers about doing 2-3 MPH less than the speed limit on one tiny state highway that's patrolled by one tiny town's 4 police officers that get their whole budget from bogus traffic tickets. Talking to the police about why you have a semiauto 30'06 and 5 dozen loaded 8 round magazines in the back of your car or truck when they ask "um, do you have any weapons in there?" without a concealed carry permit is unnecessarily stressful. My ghetto friends run a tree service so we make giant bonfires every couple weeks or so to get rid of all of the giant trees that they cut down and haul off, and since I've got that property setup for measured shots up to 1000 meters it's perfect for target practice. It's also good for deer season, and venison is scrumptious, so it's really easy to take the annual bag limit when they walk across the giant field that you shoot at least twice a month.

I like to shoot my CZ, but I like shooting rifles more. Specifically 30.06" out of my tricked out M1 Garand. I love that thing. I can shoot things a little bit farther away with my .308 boltie (old Savage with a new barrel and some awesome gunsmith magic). I have some shotguns, namely a 1925 10 gauge over/under and a Saiga 12 that I bought solely because it can accept 20rd drum magazines. The barrel is too short for it to be useful at past ~30 meters but I didn't ever know you could have a drum magazine on a 12 gauge so I bought one before Obama got elected and they were cheap and plentiful on the Internet. The 10 gauge is for geese. I know people that eat them and at a certain time of the year they're a f****** nuisance animal, and that shotgun is basically an anti-aircraft gun. Those geese can be at some pretty decent altitude and still drop like a sack of potatoes.

Automatics are too expensive to shoot frequently unless you're active duty infantry in the Marine Corps or the Army, so basically they're "safequeens". They cost me nothing (deadbeat dad left a lot of cool shit for me when he died) and each one is worth at least $15,000 for beater M16A2's and a lot more for the belt-fed machine guns. They're a better investment than anything (screw gold, real estate, and the stock market) so they stay in an exceedingly safe place where they will not deteriorate. I don't shoot them because of 1) at 70 cents to $5 per round depending on the gun when it's shooting dozens or hundreds of rounds per minute is ridiculous and 2) getting parts for a lot of them if they broke would be a royal PITA and horrendously expensive.

So basically I carry a giant 9mm around for 8 months out of the year (tough to conceal it when it's 100F or 38C with ridiculous humidity in the summer) because my friends live in the ghetto by a housing project and at least 2 crackhouses, I like to shoot competitively, and I like to drive around at night. I have a lot of police friends because my mom was a divorce lawyer and represented a bunch of local cops in their divorces, and a good chunk of radio equipment in my truck and a lesser but still impressive amount in my hatchback. I call crap in when I see it, chart potholes (I'll never lower my hatch because of those potholes) for the road maintenance folks, and just drive or sometimes "hoon" around the city at night. The likelihood of needing a gun here at night is greater than during the day, and it's just nice to know that some crackhead, methhead, PCP tripper, or crazy person would have to have some pretty serious firepower and the skill to wield it to ruin my day. I have a really bright flashlight/laser on my CZ (surefire x400) so the very few times I've had to "pull" on someone I never had to actually shoot them because when it's dark and that flashlight illuminates the sh*t out of someone's eyeballs then they can't see anything for ~30 seconds, during which time I call the cops. The criminals here know what guns are and my CZ looks scary enough so none of them have been dumb enough to make me shoot them repeatedly in the Fatal T with 9mm hollowpoints while I wait for the cops to come arrest the dipsh*ts.

And since I do that in addition to shooting (at shooting ranges) with the police, they generally let me do what i want with my hatch at night because it's quiet (nobody usually calls 911 to complain about me doing 2-3 times the speed limit in the dead of night) and a lot of them have driven it and understand it's ability to maneuver out of the way of incompetent drivers. I tend to not own cars or any other expensive thing unless I really like it, and I love my '91 civic hatch. When it dies (308k now) I will make i go as fast as I can make it go while still retaining air conditioning, but not before the stock engine blows up or stops getting ridiculous fuel economy.

I'm sorry that was long winded, but explaining Arkansas gun culture to non-Arkansans is difficult because other Americans tend to think that everyone in Arkansas is an uneducated, bigoted, and inbred hillbilly, and the concept of huge wide open spaces where it's totally safe to use any conventional weapon that isn't airdropped cluster bombs or land mines can be hard to explain to Europeans and Asians that have never seen somewhere vast like the Middle of Nowhere parts of the US, Russia, China, Australia, and big places like that. I think that if it didn't get so hot during the summer it would probably be the most ideal place on the entire planet to live.
I didn't see how to list location in a very limited exploration of the user control panel, so I live in Arkansas. Geographically it's in the southeastern United States.