A motorcycle accident that almost killed me

Anything not 4th gen related
cougar289
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

A motorcycle accident that almost killed me

Post by cougar289 »

Haven't posted here in awhile, but I've still got some old buddies here so I figured I'd let everyone know what's up.

Back in June I was riding home on the nearby 4 lane highway at 65mph. Just cruising along looking straight ahead, no other vehicles around when I see the flash of a bare aluminum braided power/telephone cable coming down, me headed straight for it. No time to blink or react. It caught me right on the front of my neck and yanked me off of the back of my bike. As far as I remember, I backflipped off of my bike, landed on my left shoulder HARD, and my right knee. I flipped over again, and slid on my back for what felt like forever. Finally came to a stop, I jumped up to my feet to see my 2007 GSXR 750 still on two wheels riding away. It veered left and crashed into the concrete wall about half mile away. I started walking towards it, made it about 20 steps and couldn't take it anymore. The adrenaline was wearing off and the pain was setting in. A passing couple saw me alongside the highway, apparantly noticed me strugging to walk carrying a motorcycle helmet. They pulled over, noticed I was bleeding profusely from the knee (I had no idea), and sped me off to the ER.

I was wearing my helmet, leather jacket, and leather gloves....unfortunately blue jeans. Stupid I know, but my blue jeans held up well considering the stress.

I got a very deep silver dollar size piece of flesh missing from the inside of my right knee, a small piece of bone broken in left shoulder, torn muscle, and torn ligaments in left shoulder also. My neck is very bruised and scraped up from the cable. No other road rash or serious injuries.

My Alpinestars jacket clearly has rash on the left shoulder part, some on the back, the arms, and some around the neck collar from the cable. My gloves are wore down VERY thin with some holes, but not a single scratch on my hands or torso. I am thankful for the padded + reinforced jacket shoulders, or else my shoulder most definitely would have shattered.

cougar289
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Re: A motorcycle accident that almost killed me

Post by cougar289 »

Now, everyone I've told this story to instantly tells me to "Get an attorney and sue!". Well I'll tell you this, you'd think with all the suing that goes on these days that this accident would have made me a millionaire. I could not find an attorney to represent me. The general response was "Well there's no video of this accident, you have no proof of why, how, or where it happened because you left the scene without a police report. The power and telephone companies claimed that the cable did not belong to them, nor was any cable found at the scene you describe. I'm sorry, but there is no case here." I filed a claim with the power company, the claims department supervisor instantly said "No that's not our cable goodbye."

I was in the hospital for 6 days. The following Monday after the accident I contacted my boss at the dealership where I was working to let him know I had been in a bad accident and would be out of work for probably 3 weeks. He said "Oh alright buddy that's fine we'll take care of things here!". I show up to work 2.5 weeks later, they hired in a new guy to replace me, and my boss pretended like he had absolutely no idea I was in the hospital. He was a dirty, lying, scumbag piece of shit and I hope he rots, burns, and suffers in hell for all eternity.

Now here we are in October, my knee has a giant purple scar on it and it still hurts a bit. My shoulder also still hurts when moved in a certain direction. And I have a very faint, hardly noticeable scar across my neck. I've moved to Florida, and I'm in flight school training to be a multi-engine flight instructor...so all in all I think it worked out in my favor.

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

Damn. That looks painful. But very good that you didn't loose any limbs or your life. Too bad about the job, that would never fly over here since we've got some actual laws protecting the employee. But at least you got some good out of the whole situation.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

bracer
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bracer »

That's quite a story.. Good thing you're ok and lived to tell.
I love motorcycles but I hear too many stories like this that keep me off getting my license.
Good luck with flight school!
2007 325i
Ex 1991 Porsche 944 S2
Ex 1990 1.6i-VT Hatchback

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Important thing is that you are alive and doing well with new plans and a new life ahead, the rest is history and experience for you and others to learn. Too bad for the aftermath and for the irresponsible way others treated you, sooner or later they will get what they deserve. Good luck in your new adventure ;) .

Sadly this is another story that makes me think twice about riding a bike on highways....
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

bracer wrote: I love motorcycles but I hear too many stories like this that keep me off getting my license.
I passed the written test yesterday! It was a lot easier than the last time I took the test for a passenger car ten years ago :D

I'm getting the full "heavy" license straight since I'm so old. After I pass the handling test and the driving test.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

Damn man, lucky you were not decapitated. I've had so many friends die on bikes, that they scare the shit outta me. (except dirt bikes)
Glad to hear you are doing better, and starting something new.
As far as your old boss goes, karma is a bitch, and inescapable. ;)
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?

gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by gtviper2178 »

damn dude that blows, glad to hear that your in better shape since that was a hell of an accident, for your boss he can shove it as far as he could but atleast some good did come out of this. hope flight school goes for you.