"Other" cars......

Anything not 4th gen related
Bassdude404
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

"Other" cars......

Post by Bassdude404 »

Being this is a car forum I assume that there's other folks like me that are fans of cars that are of other makes....So this is the thread to post them guys!!!!...Pics are preferred, but if not, just tell about them....But as we all now, no pics=no car...lol....Now I realize that what's "cool" to you may not be the same to the next guy, but hey, it's January, I can't ride my bike and I'm bored, and want to see what you guys have driven previously...I'll start things off with some pics of some of my favorite cars....Some of my "car" choices aren't exactly the "norm"...Going to go in order of ownership here...Starting with me 2nd car ever, bought in 1981 when I was still in high school....A 1974 Pontiac Firebird that I owned for about 6 years and I customized with a mix of aftermarket and factory Pontiac parts....

Still wish I could get that car back..... :(

Then right after the Firebird, bought a 1984 Pontiac Sunbird SE Turbo hatchback...

REALLY fun car (and fast), but had the trans go out withinn a month, and when my dad and I was R&R'ing the trans, found out the turbo was on the way out...So I traded that car in on a brand new 1987 Sunbird GT Turbo....BADASS little car and even faster than the '84 I traded in...

Was married to my first wife at that time, and I was trusting her to take care of the household bills...Big mistake on my part, as the car (and house among other things) weren't being paid for, so it got repo'd.... :( :angryfire:

Got divorced from that wife and had a few snoozer cars in that timeframe, including my first 4-wheeled Honda, a 1st gen Prelude...Fun car to drive, but man was it ever rusty!!!!!...Broken timing belt ended that car's life, then went waaaaaaaaaaay outside the box (so to speak), and bought a 1968 Cadillac Superior funeral coach...(Yeah, a hearse!!! :headbang: ) Was a fugly green when I bought it, but I soon painted it flat black....

Then one night some dickwad kids decided to go around shooting windows out of cars, and my hearse was a prime target...Shot all the glass out of the driver's side, along with the back "loading door" window, and also shot and cracked the windshield...Now Caddy hearse's were built on a "commercial chassis", menaing special glass and many other hard to find parts....So just the glass for that car was about $1200, plus installation costs..I only paid $350 for the entire car....So dropping that much on glass was a bit tough to swallow...Then a buddy told me about another hearse sitting behind a barn he saw...I tracked down the owner and scored a 1971 Cadillac Miller/Meteor funeral coach for the whopping sum of $200...For a few weeks I had both hearses parked in the driveway..... :headbang:

Drove that car for about 5 years, met my current wife, and about that time the rear diff seal went south and burned a bearing in it....Another "commercial chassis" only part, that I couldn't find, and the local shop said they could install a Dana 60 for about $600...Ummmm....No thanks...Body was alot worse than the '68 I had previously, and just not worth sinking $600 in a rear end...Soooo..I traded it in on a 1987 Pontiac Firebird...

REALLY fun car to drive...T-tops, V-6 5-speed car, without the front end weight of a V-8....My wife (then girlfriend) hated that car, but I absolutely loved it!!!....

Got a job where I had to commute about 40 minutes each way, and the miles were taking it's toll on the Firebird, so sold it and bought a very nice (and fast) 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix...Bought the car on a Saturday, and the following Tuesday it was at Ziebart, getting a power sunroof and window tinting installed....

Drove that car for a few years (and enjoyed every minute of it), then when my wife's (still girlfriend (Jenny) at that time..lol) daughter waas about to turn 16, we was car shopping for her...Couldn't find anything we'd send a 16 year old out into the world with for the $$ we had available ($1500), so I made Jenny a deal...I'd give her daughter the Grand Prix fore her b-day, and use that $$ for the car I wanted...A 1981 Cadillac S&S Victoria funeral coach...(yeah I have a thing about hearses....lol..)

Oh yeah, almost forgot Jenny's "cool" car...Picked her up a 1995 Chevy S-10 2wd pickup truck...Lowered with aftermarket rims and fat BFG tires..4 cylinder/5-speed truck.....Really cool lil truck until a deer decided to pull a kamikazi mission and total it...She's still pissed about that deal....

Then she bought this...Not exactly a "cool" ride, but a nice car and still driving it today...

Anyways, a year ago this past September, the Caddy hearse had been sitting alot due to high gas prices, and decided to put it up for sale...Ended up getting $1500 for it (which is exactly what I paid for it 5 years prior), and bought myself a 1967 VW Beetle for $1200 that was about a mile from the house here...A bit of a project car, but the floor pans have all be replaced already, I put a new clutch in it, rebuilt the carb, fixed some electrical gremlins, has a new headliner and carpet, and strong running 1600 dual-port engine in it...Just needs new seat covers and bodywork/paint to be a really nice car again....

So ok, how bout the rest of your guys, what other cool cars you got in your past or present that you wanna talk about and post pics if you got em.... 8)
Last edited by Bassdude404 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: "Other" cars......

Post by Sandman »

I don't have pics of most of these since most of these were way back before digital cameras were around. But I've had 2 Fiat Unos, Sort of had 2 VW Golfs(the 2nd one was a group thing we took out of it's misery) and a 240 volvo for awesome winter fun!

The "two by four" was my dd for a few years. Ended up selling it when I lost my job at the time and couldn't afford to drive this prime example of "how to make a 4 banger use fuel like a V8 without making any power"

I had this on the quarter mile! We went there for shits and giggles. Since my 4G was not done I faced off against my friends 245 hearse and won twice! Ending up with a blistering time of 19,7@107kmh(about 66mph)
Fast forward to one minute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brdIsxjgSvc

1987 240 GL

Action shot

My cars at the time

This golf was my friends car for a good 6 or 7 years. He aimlessly put money in to it to keep it on the road going though 2 engines and incredible amounts of oil. In the end it got marked in the annual inspection as "Significant environmental hazard"

We decided it's time we put an end to this madness! We bought it off, I singed the papers and we proceeded to take it out. This was the way it looked when the engine blew up.

One of the con rods flew through the block and the alternator, but not only after we had jumped it from a good height on it's nose a good +15 times tearing off an engine mount dropping the engine on the chassis rail.

Sad and shitty little 1.3 engine
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

Bassdude404
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Bassdude404 »

Wow....44 views and only one reply??....I figured this thread would generate a little more activity than that...lol...

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

People are lazy. ;)
Stand up and fight!

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

Sandman wrote:People are lazy. ;)
I have no digital proof of most of my cars, but the list is as follows.
1981 VW Rabbit (It was my father's car and I drove it until the clutch went)
1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with a 350 out of an 82' Z28 (My first, and unfortunately not last automatic) Car was a beast in a straight line, but turning and stopping were not options.
1985 Volvo 240 Turbo (First car I ever loved, also inherited from my father, blown engine)
1979 Volvo 242 (My favorite car ever, totaled by a drunk driver)
1984 Subaru GL (Painted with a brush, and held together with duct tape and wire, eventually donated to a friend so he could use the drive train in his VW Bus)
1982 Volvo 245 (owned it for about a week and sold it for a few buck more than I got it for)
1987 Volvo 245 (Electrical issues caused me to park it, and eventually sell it for scrap)
1984 Honda Accord coupe (Sloooooow, and automatic, but this is where the Honda love affair began)
1991 Civic Si (nicest car I've ever owned, stolen within 6 months)
1991 Civic DX (just sold and greatly missed)
Now lets see how many pics I can dig up.
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

Lots of "two by fours". Sweet! :D
Stand up and fight!

kspraker
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by kspraker »

More like others - no digital proof but the list is:

1971 Ford Torino - purchased in highschool - left home and joined the Army
1976 Ford Mustang II - bad rings so I took it home put on air shocks and picked up the motor/tranny out of the Torino - was really fast until she threw a rod!
1976 Oldsmobile Omega (Nova) - shoe horned a Pontiac 400 into her and kept it for over 20 years! 13.1 best ET ever! Sold it to a young kid who totaled it within 3 weeks of buying it.
1992 Ford Taurus - totaled (was hit head on at an intersection - nasty but only broke an ankle)
1991 Mercury Sable (blown head gasket - traded)
1989 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible (sweet little 2.2 turbo) - blew a head gasket from over heating - traded
1997 Dodge Intrepid - loved that car but it started to nickle and dime me - traded it.
2001 Dodge 2500 Pickup (still own)
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback (still own)

I didn't count the wife's cars
1991 DX Hatch - bone stock - well not the stereo - but the rest is!!

Count Vronsky
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by Count Vronsky »

Hey bassdude, love your random collection of cars you've owned over the years! Didn't even realize they made turbo sunbirds! Too bad Pontiac no longer exists!
Last edited by Count Vronsky on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
-1990 Civic Base on GSR fat fives, DC rear disc conversion, other stuff
-2004 JRSC Civic Si

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

Wow...lots of former Volvo owners. Who'd of thought that on a 4th gen civic forum?
My buddy had a 98' V70R with a manual trans ans 300k+ miles on it, still sold it for almost 4k. That car was a blast.
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?

deathmonkey
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by deathmonkey »

In my car-related Internet travels (considerable quantity) I[ve noted that a lot of folks that like hatchbacks like station wagons, old V8's, and Volvos, especially V70Rs and older volvo wagons (ideally with GM crate motor swaps).
I didn't see how to list location in a very limited exploration of the user control panel, so I live in Arkansas. Geographically it's in the southeastern United States.

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

I would still buy an other volvo if I was looking for a new winter beater. Reliable, hot and rwd. :)
My old two by four was bought off me on a sunday out of the blue. Had it stayed I'd probably still have it.
Stand up and fight!

Dave
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by Dave »

just got a new DD 4 weeks ago

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

FN2/Type R?
Stand up and fight!

Dave
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by Dave »

Sandman wrote:FN2/Type R?
Yep sure is ;) . One of the funnest cars to drive ever. Even better than the s2000 that it replaced (some prick stole it and set it on fire, at leased it was over-insured) . Vtec is such a huge difference in this thing its allmost like having boost

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

Congrats :)
Having said that, most ppl think the EP3 handles better with the better rear suspension in it. But I'm sureyou need to push it to the limit for that to come out. Damn good engine. :)
Stand up and fight!