What should 91B16AHB drive?

Anything not 4th gen related
91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

What should 91B16AHB drive?

Post by 91B16AHB »

Hey guys, As some of you know, I sold the hatch a few days ago, and vowed to one day own another, but needless to say it was a very sad day. My daughter actually cried and was yelling "why couldn't we sell mommy's car" (broke my heart)
:(
Anyway, the current matter at hand is what to buy next? I'm having a really hard time, so I figured that I'd ask what you all thought, since we clearly all have similar taste in cars, and have been spoiled in similar fashion by the reliability/fun/fast/economical factors of the little 4G.

Well first off, I'm 6'1" and need some leg room with 2 car seats in the back. I'm leaning heavily towards a wagon, which severely limits my choices. I'm used to driving a 2000lb car that made around 170hp, so downgrading to a 3500lb car that makes around 160 seems.... boring? I DESPISE automatic transmitions, and often lug around a double wide stroller that under no circumstances would ever fit in the 'ole hatch.

I'm a huge fan of the V70r wagons, but finding a manual is not easy, not to mention they are near the limit of my budget. I'm also a fan of the 2005+ Outback XT's and Legacy GT wagons. (a liitle easier to find a manual, and alot cheaper than the Volvos) I have not looked at the WRX as of yet, but they seem a little on the small side, and I feel like the Forester XT's are nice, but just a little too high. (too much head room, not enough leg room)

At this point I've considered everything from the Honda Element to the VW Passat, so I'm up for suggestions people!
What do you all think? I'd like to spend under 15k (I'd REALLY like to stay as close to 10k as possible)
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What should 91B16AHB drive?

Post by Sandman »

If it has to be a wagon. What about an impreza wrx wagon? I was going to mention the V70R and the 850R but I suppose they're not a real option over there. And I don't know how expensive they are over there but they're not that common here and I suspect not that common over there. An EP civic with a k20 could work(space could be a bit limited though), I suspect the stroller would be a tight squeeze. A Legnum/Galant VR-4 is also available as a wagon.

I'd stay away from VAG products if you're used to jap reliability and maintenance.

If I think of something else I'll post it, but at 2am these my 2cents on the matter. :D
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Word on the wrx wagon, always loved those because they are awd, turbocharged and look pretty good. With basic mods for a turbo car it can be scary fast but still a good daily. Audi and bmw 3series station wagons (specially e46 chassis) are also some of my favorites. Other one (but maybe a little small for you) that I really love is the mini clubman.

Also consider crossovers like the matrix, the mazda3 (or the mazdaspeed 3) or the current lancer sportback. If you're lucky you may find a previous gen lexus is300 station wagon at a low price, those are nice.

In terms of cars at below $15k range you may find a used lancer gts which is a well equipped car with a strong engine and nice interiors (looks good on the outside too), the mazda 3, a first gen tsx, maybe a 3g TL with good mileage, a base altima from the previous gen, or a previous gen civic.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

The 850r and first gen v70r (basically just a re-badged 850) where never imported as manuals except for in 98', so those are off the list. Suprisingly the 2nd gen v70r's, while not common, are not impossible to find, and are scary fast cars.
I also must say that the WRX is probably one of my favorites, but they are not the roomiest cars, and the trunk room seems like an afterthought.
I'm looking to avoid BMW and Audi, mainly because I am used to driving Hondas and Volvos, so I'm kinda used to reliability.
The 2005+ Legacy GT's, Outback XT's and Forester XT's share the same engine as the WRX, and offer more interior room, not to mention an infinitley bigger trunk.
I thought about the Clubman as well, but it is waaaay too small, The Matrix XRS was also on my mind, but I need to get a better idea of how much cargo space they provide.
I've always loved the is300's but finding a wagon is not easy, and one with less than 150k miles, even harder.

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

BTW el, you mentioned pretty much every car I have thought of, except for the Lancer (I'm not a huge Mitsubishi fan) I have thought about the Mazda3 and even the Mazda5, the only true mini mini van on the USDM, and the only one available manual, but the 5 is a bit underpowered, and the 3 a bit small, on top of that they are both Fords, and I hope to own this car for many years to come, so I'm a little intimidated by the blue oval connection there. I know Volvo had their ford ties as well, but parts, design, and manufacturing of most models remained largely in Volvo's hands.

My mom has the last generation Altima, and I'm not gonna lie, that car has more leg room than my 81' Cutlass Supreme had, and also has pretty decent power, but (don't want to sound snobby) there are waaaay too many of them. Also going from a 4th gen hatch, I still want something with at least a little bit of the "cool" factor, and imho the Altima has none.

As far as the galant VR4's...sadly none were imported to the USDM, and we don't have the wagon available either.

So far I think the Subaru Legacy GT and Outback XT are the front runners at this point, but I really need to get into a WRX wagon so I can see what the interior feels like (space wise) Especially since mfg's measurements can be so misleading.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Both the legacy and the outback are good options, the problem for me is their style. They look more plain than a vanilla cone, if they didn't have the subaru emblem on them they could easily pass as a late ford or chrysler from the 90s.

I also forgot to mention the previous generation scion tc, that car is really nice and has lots of standard equipment for its price. Some lexus from the past decade could be found at that price range you are looking. Just like acuras they are well equipped, have good engines and have plenty of potential to choose a way to go modding them (performance or style).

What about the infiniti g35 both coupe and sedan? I'm sure there had to be some below $15K, I rode in a g35 coupe once and that car was a blast, interiors are very spacious, rear seat is good too. That's one car I definitely would own, it looks sporty but refined, engine, transmission,suspension and brakes are excellent, plus it has some gtr dna on it...

Just dont get an suv ;)
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

I love the G35 and G37 sedans, but if I decide to go with a sedan, I think the TL or TSX will probably top my list.
I'm dying to stay behind the wheel of a Honda, and seeing as the crosstour would probably make me vomit a little every time I look at it, those seem like the best options.
Any thoughts on the 7th gen Accords?

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

8)

I prefer the mid generation facelift where the trunk was changed and the front looks a little different. Nice car and big inside. The coupe looks good too.

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

Yeah, the coupes do look good, but I'd of just kept the hatch if I could still get away with a coupe.
I've been checking out the V6 sedans (with a 6spd manual ;D )
It is so hard to get away from Honda once you get used to their awesomeness.

2 Stroke Toy Chest
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 2 Stroke Toy Chest »

CRV . 4-wheel drive , legal b20 block and its a patty wagon . i would just change the suspension a lil and a nice gsr head to compliment it . prices are fair and they do come in a 5-speed

deathmonkey
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by deathmonkey »

When I read your OP I instantly thought a Subaru because you live at a much higher latitude than I do. I like to drive my friend's nutzo '05 WRX in the snow because it's kinda like a 350whp tractor. I have searched nationwide for 6spd V70Rs and found nothing. I'm sorry that you had to sell your hatch, and sincerely hope that you'll be able to build a better one than the B16 white hatch in the future. If your daughter turns out to be a gearhead too then that might be some cool stuff to do with her.

May you have excellent luck in your quest for a nice used Subaru!
I didn't see how to list location in a very limited exploration of the user control panel, so I live in Arkansas. Geographically it's in the southeastern United States.

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

So I finally bought a car. 2006 Accord EX-L k24a8 5mt as suggested by el.
I've had the car for a couple of weeks now, and must say that I'm happy to be back behind the wheel of a Honda, but this is NOTHING like the B16 hatch.
Overall a nice comfy family sedan, that still has a little more road feel than most. pushing it up around 5 or 6k rpm it can feel almost....exciting?
Performance mods are not going to happen with this car, and unfortunatley the k24a8 is nothing like the k24a2. I may do a mild drop, and TL type S sway bars if I can find a set relatively cheap, but nothing else. The good thing is my wife loves it, so I'm most likely gonna pass it off on her, sell the slowrolla, and buy something a little more fun to replace her car with.
Sad thing is I still try to acknowledge people driving by in nice older Hondas, but now I'm just the middle-aged guy in the boring late model Accord. At least it is not an automatic. ::)
I'll try to get some pics up soon, so you can see it in all of it's boring silver glory.
(There are at least 3 silver 7.5 gen Accords on my block, although mine is the only manual ;D )

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

Oh yeah, and I am already sourcing a roof rack for our camping adventures!

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Sandman »

Congrats. :)
I was going to make an old man joke...but you did that without help. :D
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500