CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Flat Tire EF/ED7 build

New here? Tell us who you are!

Flat Tire EF/ED7 build

Postby FlatTireRacer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Here's just a lil teaser.

Ok here's how this one starts. I bought my hatch from a friend of mine who's motivation was seriously lacking. I needed two more seats over my CRX and so I decided to transfer all the good operational stuff from the CRX to the hatch, and so it started... I drove the CRX home on my birthday in Sept 2009 and in the next four days and beyond the rest is history...

This is how the hatch was when I got it.

Was very happy to see my sub box fit under the covers in the hatch. Had to take my spare out to accomodate it in the CRX.

The motor in the CRX. Last pics inside this engine bay.

Emtee... The engine bay in the hatch... The dipstick before me decided to paint the bay in rattle can black. Great... now i have to bust my knuckles to get it back to white... not today!

My battery relocation.

I'll take this, and this, and one of those too...!

Knuckle relocated to the hatch.

Before I dropped this motor into the CRX I got bored waiting on parts and decided to try my hand at detailing the block a little. That's not bad for a little over a year old.

The remainder of the pull...
So I borrowed an engine hoist to lift the car over the the motor. That's the best way... right?? LOL!

My Fiance (now wife) was so nervous about working the lift...

And it's out! Time to move it to the Hatch!

A friend of mine did stop by to help.
Getting it back in was a little more trying but in the end I prevailed!!!

It's in!!! I almost have a hatch!!!

Got the car on the ground. It was missing the rear bumper when I got it. Hell it was missing both bumpers and someone hacked the hood all up too. Idiots...!! Been busting my butt tryin to get all the matching parts.

Here she sits. Took this after i took it on a test drive @ 3 in the morning...bet my neighbors love me for that one. Especially since there wasn't any exhaust under it. Just the down pipe and exhaust pipe to where the muffler bolted up, but wasn't there! LOL!

In the morning I felt like a little school boy. Looking at these pics really gives me an accomplished feeling.

A month after I build that hatch, the timing belt snaps. Damn... So I had this head lying around and had to utilize it as more or less a band-aid. The cool thing about it is that it houses 1mm o/s valves over the stock D16 head. The bad thing is that it out runs my fuel pump. The ECU just isn't tuned for it.

You ever get tired of lookin at that little ugly plastic cap at the end of your fuel rail? I did! So I made this lil rail cap!

Found out that about half the stuff for the Si hatch dash was busted broken or just plain wore out. Installed the CRX dash into the hatch. I had gotten used to the cubbies and the console of the Rex, plus I have an O.E. armrest and it just didn't fit the hatch trim as i'd have liked.

My custom One-off shift knob that I made.

So far, this has got to my own biggest pat on the back. 100% custom wheels. Granted, I didn't make the wheel casting, but I did have them powdercoated white, added the Honda logo and pinstripe. After I lost one of the center caps in a small tangle with a box spring on the highway in the CRX I made some of my own. 100% billet aluminum turned on a lathe, and then we CNC machined the 'H' into the cap. Dropped a lil paint on em, and Viola!

FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Re: Flat Tire EF/ED7 build

Postby el_jelly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Digging the build, specially those wheels :thumbright:

I have never saw someone putting an engine in a 4g by lifting the car with an engine hoist and lowering it in the engine. For some reason it is called engine hoist ;D ;D ;D .

Welcome flat.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby FlatTireRacer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Alright, alright. Settle down and strap in! First: my inspiration I know it's on an EG chassis but that is all Forza allots for the hatches.

Now, the work in progress...

Now, before the haters start in. Yes I know it is not perfect nor is it close to complete. It is goin to take me 2 more years to save up the $3000 to get the proper paint and body work done on this poor girl. Until then, at least this appeases me and it'll be all uniform in color. It's like a Monet, viewed best from afar, lol! At least when I do take it to get it painted there won't be any second guessing in what I want LOL! I've still got some prep work to do to get to where i can start painting the bottom half of the car. Some idiot thought it would be a good idea to put half of Home Depot's fastener stock in the rocker panel to hold the crappy body kit on previous to my gettin the car. :shun: I hate stupid people. Speaking of...I can't illustrate to you in words how frustrating it is to have to try and cover crystalizing crappy engine paint on outside body panels. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! Leave engine paint in UV free areas! It works best there. So untill then... Stay tuned you never know what I'll come up with next. Anybody know where i can find one of those ChargeSpeed spoilers?
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby FlatTireRacer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:31 pm

Started in on the rocker panels. Looks like the people who turned them into swiss-cheese, actually tried fixing all the holes at one point. Why they didn't finish is beyond me, but I wasn't there either.
So I decided to try this filler that we have at work. LOL! We use this stuff to attach heat-tabs to our heads that we finish and it holds pretty good. So i figured why not...

Every little dob was a hole... :hand:

The larger areas were more like constelations. Kinda like the one butt-head that goes along poking holes in a wall to find a stud... :dead: That's what this crap looked like!!!
The passenger side after I sanded and re-filled a little.

Anyway, hopefully my nightmare is almost over with this. I hope to pull the bumpers off and finish them out soon, plus the lower half of the car. Gotta go talk to my vinyl guy and see what it's going to take to get the striping all the way around. Got a few more small buttons to deal with but nothing that can't be taken care of. :wink:

Lil progress pic for you guys...

Now I know the bumpers are not done yet. I need to finish them this weekend. I'm waiting on my striping to come in as well. I'm almost there! :)

I plan on totally changing up the hood too. I just need to come up with the time to really dig into it. Since I bought it brand new I will be stripping it back down and starting anew on that.
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby FlatTireRacer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:34 pm

Ooh... Looky what I got! :bang:

I'm just curious wether or not these are going to make or break my engine bay, being as they are yellow. I have no yellow in the rest of my setup... Hmm... Maybe the flair of color will be more eye catching. We'll see. LOL

Bestill my heart...! What do we have here!?! :o :o

I just might be able to finish the hatch up this weekend!!! Yay! Now I'm behind a day in prep and paint on my bumpers because I didn't think I was gettin this stuff till Monday.

Woohoo! Got around to finishing up the paint on the hatch this weekend!

Pulled her into the garage and took the front bumper off...

Taped it up and got to sprayin! The rear got the same treatment.

Uh oh! What is that I see??

While the paint was drying on the front bumper I took the liberty of starting the stripe on the body trim.

The front bumper got dry enough I could work with it again. Put the stripe across it and slapped it on in time enough to make it to the local meet Saturday night! :bang:

So the next day I put my a/c back together (again) and finished out the rear bumper. My wife sent me out to get some dinner and I snatched the camera before I walked out the door... He He He!

Stopped by the local dealer and played around a little...

This was an accident that made this pic the best IMO... :)
The flash went off and lit up all the tape on the car! I love it!!!

Ok, so here's where I'm starting at on one of my Single cam heads...

Got a fresh surface on it so I'll have to be extra careful of that.

The valve job and start of the ports. Nothing you haven't seen if you've been keeping up.

Unmollested exhaust port...

Unmollested Intake port...

All the rest of the goodies!

Close-up of the intake and it's ports. I'll be smoothing out the casting inside here for maximum efficiency.

The icing for this proverbial cake! Powdercoating...Mmmm...

Haha!!!! Yeah right!!!!

Check this out! This is the home made port bench we have. It's quite nice actually! :)

Ok, so remember how I said I was gonna have to protect the fresh surface? You'll laugh, but this is how we acomplish this task...

Duct Tape!

Get it up on the bench and trim it out so we know where we're working.

I'm goin to be 'Port Matching' this head and this is how we start that process. Put the desired gasket up there so we can map out where all we need to go...

Break out the Prussian blue...

And dye the head so we can get an acurate map...

Remove the gasket so that it doesn't get chewed up and you have a nice clean stencil.

Repeat the same for the intake side.

Our little metal muncher...

Here we go! No turning back now!!!

Get all the heavier cuts removed...

Then we move on to shaping and sanding...

Gotta get down in there and blend everything together making it as seamless as possible... That little line going up the port is the casting line. That is what we are ultimately lookin to eliminate in this venture.

After we get done with the manifold side we flip it and start to dig out the valve side. Since this head already had a valve job done on it, that makes it that much more difficult to maneuver around in there because you have to make sure not to hit it with the sanding roll.

Next we move on to the exhuast side...

It undergoes the same treatment. Dig out the big parts first then go back and sand and finish.

Little comparison...

...and done!!! 2.5 hrs later :P

I'll be ceramic coating the exhaust ports next!

Ok so got the ports coated the other day.

It's crazy because after we do this the ports look so slick that they look greasy. It's like almost Powdercoating them just with ceramic instead.

Got around to putting this bad boy together this morning! Well, got the valves in anyways.

Starts like this...

Put all the parts out on the bench, get em organized, assess inventory then assemble.

We put a little oil on the top of the guides before we shove the stem seals on. This keeps the stem seal from grabbin the guide and tearing. It also ensures that it seats on the guide all the way.

Slip the spring shim on first... These keep the bottom of the spring from eating a ring into the head from the constant pounding that they hand out and it also helps with what is called deflection which is where the spring will try to walk from side to side. If that were to happen you would, over time, experience premature wear on your springs, broken springs, or bent valves, or even all of the above.

Now for the stem seal. To put it on we use a stem seal installation tool that comes with a large variety of different cups and pilots for the wide variety of heads that we actually do have come though here.

Line it up with our guide and all it takes is a good firm push.

Dah-tah!

Repeat that 16 more times and we're ready to put the valves in.

Oil the tops of the valves so that as they pass through the stem seal that it doesn't tear that new stem seal. This also lubricates the guide as well so that the guide and valve don't rust together and stick open the first time you try and start it up. How tragic and frustrating would that be? Yeesh!

Springs are next. Let's take a moment and talk about springs... There is a certain way to install springs. Yes a right and wrong way for valve springs. Too many times have I seen someone bring a head in that the cams keep getting chewed up on. This is some times due to poor installation. All factory Honda valve springs are progressive. Means they get a tighter wind towards the bottom. This is where the spring does most of it's work. The progression also helps eliminate sympathetic waves from coursing through the spring which again could lead to spring failure. Dual springs act as the same purpose. So if you get a head re-done at a shop, make sure to give it a really thorough inspection before handing that person your hard earned cash!
Springs installed like this Will screw a cam up in a hurry!

Lay all the springs up there and get the keepers together and ready to go!

They're so TINY!!! Here's the installation tool for putting keepers on! :) Makes life SO much easier!!!

Basically the same operation as installing the stem seals. Line up good and push!

Voila!

Everything is repeated for the exhaust side.

Yeah Yeah... I forgot to put one of my exhaust valves back into the bag o' parts after I was showin some of the guys the back cut on the valves.

There it is!
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby FlatTireRacer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:36 pm

Here we go again! Pulled the "Band-aid" head off this weekend and slapped the A6 head I've been workin on onto the motor...

Started by takin the pulley nut off first

Then moved on to the intake

Strut bar

With all that done we can really start diggin in!

Carefully removed the distributor and started unplugging hoses.

Got the header off almost unscathed. With the a/c lines in place gettin that out now is a real pain!

Here's a lil preview of the the intake manifold that is goin on the car! ;)

Almost time for the head to come off!

I want you guys to take a look at this. This is why I swear by Castrol! Almost a year of me beating the crap outta this car every day and the insides still sparkle!

I did not wipe anything down. I took the v/c off and popped these. Lovin it!!!

Cylinders look good too!

Intake manifold swap-a-rooni!

New gasket for the t/b!

Ok so this is after a new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, oil pan, and filter. Sorry no pics. Got busy...

I like to put the intake on before I drop the head on...

...simply because this nut on the bottom is such a pain to get to!!

Dropped her down with a new MLS head gasket and went to buttoning her up!!!

Had some timing issues, found out the damn IAVC was bad, :crook: replaced it. Still, I know I'm gonna need an adjustable timing gear to really lock in the cam so I figure i'll make me one! Hehe! :bang: Anyhoo gotta take a lil time to save up some $$$ for makin a few dyno pulls, while that's goin on I'm gonna be doin small tweaks here and there and try and get this ol' girl dialed in.
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby FlatTireRacer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Hoorah!!! Went and got my parts last night!! Extended Top Hats from Blox. Stoked!
Hopefeully these'll make it to where my poor shocks don't bottom out around every other turn or bump in this City... LOL!

Ok...so, starts out like this...

Get the wheel off and start bustin things loose.

Take the upper ball joint loose otherwise it'll NEVER come out.

Gimme 'dat!!

Cleaned it up a lil and installed the new bump stop.

Spring...

Hat...

It's so purdy!!! I didn't have the top nut installed all the way. I just simply didn't have enough ass on me to compress the spring that far. My wife had to help me with this one by putting the nut on while put my weight on it. Then i realized... I forgot the top washer...LOL! No big. I just put it on after I put the car back down.

Driver's side went about the same way except for the installation of the new shock.

This is the one thing I didn't like about the new one (right).

And there it is... Looks out of place up in all that dirty ass suspension... It's ok. I have spares and I plan to powder coat it all before too long! ;) My biggest debate: Color...

Took this on the way home... SHHhhh! Don't tell my boss... It was with his camera @ 70... LMAO!!!!!
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby 91B16AHB » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:29 pm

Haters? C'mon not many of us have 3k to spend on paint at the moment, and I for one think the car looks great, not to mention the work you're putting in (wish I could get my wife to help out sometimes)...good luck with the rest of the build, and keep us updated.
BTW, what are the original rims on the hatch? I like 'em alot.
91B16AHB
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby FlatTireRacer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Awesome! At least that assures me the kind of people we have here! :D Thanks!
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby freydaddy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:14 pm

thanks for the detailed pics.
I always tell Honda junkies that if they want the most bang for their buck, put most of your time in the head...as you have done successfully :)
the camera you use is amazing also.
Did you ever get on the Dyno?
freydaddy
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby JustinEF9 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:35 am

what's up flat tire?! hey ur build on ur hatch is awesome! :thumbright: now thats what a X CROSS car should look like. i like the work you done with the head and wow i didnt know blox made extended top hats! thot ground control were the only people that made them. ur fellow EFfer from the BAY, CALI giving you MAD PROPS for your build! check back with you later! 8)
ISLANDERZ DJ's
JustinEF9
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby FlatTireRacer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:10 pm

freydaddy wrote:thanks for the detailed pics.
I always tell Honda junkies that if they want the most bang for their buck, put most of your time in the head...as you have done successfully :)
the camera you use is amazing also.
Did you ever get on the Dyno?

Man I appreciate the compliment, but I'm goin to have to bust your bubble... a lil. That camera isn't really all that great, for the quality I get from it, it's nice, but it is still just a digtal Kodak point&shoot... I wanna buy a really nice one. The first ones of the initial build were done with my parents camera, and that one is REALLY nice, but the rest are the point&shoot.
From a machinist's POV, yes, you're right the most bang does come from the head. Let's not forget the tuning aspect. Bad tune + nice head work= junk LOL! No unfortunately enough, I still have yet to make it to the dyno. Things over the past few months have been on a pretty steady downgrade. At the moment I'm just anticipating the bounce-back point, lol! Thanks again!
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby FlatTireRacer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 pm

JustinEF9 wrote:what's up flat tire?! hey ur build on ur hatch is awesome! :thumbright: now thats what a X CROSS car should look like. i like the work you done with the head and wow i didnt know blox made extended top hats! thot ground control were the only people that made them. ur fellow EFfer from the BAY, CALI giving you MAD PROPS for your build! check back with you later! 8)

I must apologize for my confusion. Blox does not make thos extended top-hats. They came from a company on eBay. I can't recall the name at the moment but that is where I got them from.

Thanks for the compliment though! I appreciate it! I did build the car with Auto-X in mind, unfortunately I haven't had the time or the funds to make it to any of the local meets :( I miss the tracks... I need my fix... :confused2: Thanks again! :headbang:
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby FlatTireRacer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:20 pm

91B16AHB wrote:Haters? C'mon not many of us have 3k to spend on paint at the moment, and I for one think the car looks great, not to mention the work you're putting in (wish I could get my wife to help out sometimes)...good luck with the rest of the build, and keep us updated.
BTW, what are the original rims on the hatch? I like 'em alot.

^ Those rims were from a US company calle REI. They are not in business anymore and i now wish I hadn't sold them to the friend I did... Not that they went to a bad owner, he had a wreck the other day and totally deuced on of them :'( Oh well I guess.
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby FlatTireRacer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:44 pm

Picked this up this weekend. Had to sacrifice my timing plastics to do it but I can get more of those from Honda. Now that the D-series is done I can start focusing on the B again. Gonna have my bills all caught up hopefully in the next month and this thing should take off!

It's a little rough right now but I'll fix that. Don't you worry.

Seen this lil crack in it. I'll be welding that up.

Finally got around to re-finishing tha Hasport A/C bracket.

This after the weld and some filing. Gotta reset the threads and it'll be like new again! Gonna Heli-coil though for a little added durability.

Scrubbed on it a lil with some steel wool and sanded the welded area smooth

Got most of the dents and stuff outta the label plate.

Oooh shiny!!! :)

Woot! Woot! Got this back from powdercoating!

Gettin it prepped here to expose the lettering

Ok, so the other day was kinda crappy... I got my valve cover all se up, only to find out that Honda put's an odd trim on there machine to scrape the letters from the factory. :| I ended up with this...

Don't fret though I know how to fix it. I guess what frustrates me the most is that I put a straight edge across the two surfaces to make sure they were parallel with one another. Oh well. Like I said, I know how/what I need to do to fix it.

Ok! Got that V/C back up on the surfacer, compensated for the angle I needed and Bam! Lookit that!!!!

i gotta talk my boss into tossin this into the CNC machine for the 'Honda' logo at the bottom, then I might send it back down to cleared, I dunno yet. We'll see what I feel like!
Oh! BTW... It's shiny like that straight off the machine ;)

Went out & had a lil fun this weekend. Hope you like... :)
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Next

Return to Who-Is-Who