CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

how to clean your sunroof drain tubes the easy way

The DIY forum
Forum rules
Please post any new articles in the "Tech Discussion" forum. After approval the thread will be moved to this forum.

DISCLAIMER PLEASE READ!
Civic4g.com or the authors of the articles cannot be held liable for any consequences whatsoever of the information or advice they provide.
DIY can go wrong, with expensive or even dangerous consequences, and it therefore must be stressed that nothing should be attempted without applying common sense, and only if you are confident in your ability to carry out the job with safety. You cannot expect answers to your questions to include a complete list of possible pitfalls. Remember that the advice has been given to you in good faith for free, and neither its accuracy nor legality can be relied upon.
If you are unsure about anything then do please ask!

Postby gtviper2178 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:06 am

for the past week my area was drenched with heavy rains over days timespan and this made me realize that my sunroof was leaking alot of water into my backseat foot area. so i realized that my drain tubes were badly clogged since my sunroof seems to have a good seal on it. so i startedoff by going to the trunk and pulling out the tubes an there will be a little point nipple like this

remove that little nipple and stick your air hose in there and blow the SOB out good an continue to clean it if still dirty.
do this for both sides since you have a total of four drain tubes, 2 for front 2 for back.

the next step i took a small plastic tube smaller than the cars tube, taped it to my air hose and slid the tube into the cars tube and aired out the tubes from back first then front last. to blow it out vice versa stick the tube into the sunroof when its open right on top of the rails an you should hear the air escaping through the back of the car. but just make sure your tubes are pointing out of the trunk. for the front the holes are on the front corner of the sunroof bracket in front. once again stick the tube in or on the hole an press away and done.
after than you can close the sunroof and pour water on top of the car to see if water is getting in a draining properly. water should come out right behind rear wheel or behind the front wheels in the wheel well.
and thas it your cars drain tubes are unclogged ;) ;) ;)
theres more DYI on how to do this online but some people say to remove headliner...
THIS IS NOT NEEDED, I REPEAT NO NEED TO REMOVE HEADLINER.
hope this helps those with leaky sunroofs and even if they leak the water should roll down on the rails an into the drain tubes.

P.S i stole some of the pics from this link =p
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2872372

but i did this myself but was too occupied to take pics but this DYI is pretty straightforward and self explanatory.
if any more help is needed or anyone is unsure feel free to ask me or a fellow member :P
gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Re: how to clean your sunroof drain tubes the easy way

Postby Black R » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:39 pm

I was getting water in my front passenger seat and visor area.

My front drain tubes were all clear.

Both rears are completely clogged.

I just said f*ck it and removed that 35lb weight!
Black R
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby el_jelly » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:51 am

This should be in the How to section.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby gtviper2178 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:57 am

el_jelly wrote:This should be in the How to section.

how do we make this into the "how to" section?
gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby 90hatch268 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:43 am

it already is...
90hatch268
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby brent636r » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:15 pm

That is a good way to detect clogged drain tubes, but remember your blowing all that trash back up to the tracks. When you get another heavy rain all that trash will come back down, hopefully it will flow right out and not get clogged. Good tip!
brent636r
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby gtviper2178 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:53 pm

lol thanks mod guys!!! but i stuck the air hose from the sunroof then the air traveled throughout the car and down out of the trunk where no dirt got into my car. blowing from trunk to sunroof isnt a very good idea because like you said all the tracks will get dirty and can fall into your interior as well... easiest way to do it is stick a small tube down o the back of the track towards the rear of the car and let it rip, so far yet NO leaks what so ever. you'l know when your clogs are backed up if water is splashing down on you while your driving. ::)
gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby gregy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:15 am

got great ideas on cleaning my drained tubes... thanks for sharing this mate! :D
gregy

Postby gtviper2178 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:15 am

sorry on the late reply but your welcome mate!
gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby Hinige » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:27 pm

I own a shop, I was working on a customers Caddy and his sunroof drains were clogged. I removed the front wheels and wheel well/fender splash shields, partially, and found the rubber drain valves at the end of the drain tubes. They had a very fine sediment in them. I squeezed them and mud started to ooze out. Then drops of water I poked the mud with a straight metal pick tool and more water flowed. Finally I had good water flow and the tube emptied. I then blew the line out from above at the sunroof drain hole. Poured water in the trough and had good flow. Repeated procedure on other side.

At the rear, the the lines were clear all the way except for the check valves/rubber flappers which were full of sediment just like the fronts were. I removed the trunk interior liner enough to get my hands and a light in the area where the drains were, disconnected the white LH and black RH hard drain lines and cleared the flappers/valves. Poured water in sunroof trough and water flowed from all the wheel wells. Thanks Ranger for the above post because I didnt want to blow the lines off inside the car by blowing on them with compressed air. Your post was helpful and though this is 3 years after the fact, this is still a common problem and the thread lives on.
Hinige

Return to How-To's