CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

The DIY forum
Forum rules
Please post any new articles in the "Tech Discussion" forum. After approval the thread will be moved to this forum.

DISCLAIMER PLEASE READ!
Civic4g.com or the authors of the articles cannot be held liable for any consequences whatsoever of the information or advice they provide.
DIY can go wrong, with expensive or even dangerous consequences, and it therefore must be stressed that nothing should be attempted without applying common sense, and only if you are confident in your ability to carry out the job with safety. You cannot expect answers to your questions to include a complete list of possible pitfalls. Remember that the advice has been given to you in good faith for free, and neither its accuracy nor legality can be relied upon.
If you are unsure about anything then do please ask!

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby el_jelly » Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:02 am

What is DPFI?
DPFI means dual point fuel injection. In simple words it's like an update on the carb design however the fuel is injected electronically. It has only two injectors that deal with all the fuel, the cylinder that is in the intake stroke sucks the fuel available in the manifold. That's one of the multiple problems this system has, fuel is not distributed the optimal way. In a MPFI (multi point fuel injection) you have an injector for each of the cylinders so fuel is administered correctly and more efficient, producing more power. Also this system is easier to tune or modify compared to the dpfi.

How to recognize a DPFI-equipped car?
By model:
- Look in this page for the model of the car you have and notice the engine code: http://www.civic4g.com/index.php/4th-ge ... del-lineup. Now if your car model comes with a D15B, D16A6, D16A9, B16 or ZC engine then it's MPFI. If it's any other model then it's a DPFI car.
- However this assumes the car has the stock engine, not a swapped unit.

By looking at it:
- If you car has a dohc engine it is not dpfi. An easy way to spot a dohc engine is that the spark plugs are in the middle of the valve cover, not in the front or rear of it like sohc engines. Sohc engines can be dpfi or mpfi.

- If it has a sohc engine an easy way to identify the dpfi system is with the intake manifold. it will look like this:
Notice the round cover over the intake manifold (the one that says pgm-fi, between the firewall and the engine block), that's part of the dpfi system.

A mpfi equipped engine will look like this:
Notice the cylindrical part of the intake manifold (pgm-fi over it), that indicates it has 4 injectors so it's mpfi equipped.

Some may say you can look at the engine code stamped on the block and by knowing the codes for the dpfi engines you may know if it's a dpfi model, however, you can have the case when someone matted a mpfi engine block (like the d16a6) with a dpfi system and you may think is a mpfi engine. Once you know how to identify things like this it will be easy to know but for the moment just look the intake manifold. ;)

So if you want to swap a more powerful mpfi engine the first step is to convert to MPFI. Here's a general guide for doing it.

4G DX to ZC wiring conversion
by Kenji Plennert

In order to convert your dual point injection DX to multi-point injection you will need 4 injector plugs, an injector resistor box, extra wire, a wire stripper/cutter, heat shrink and/or electrical tape, and some patience. Also, when doing this conversion I would highly recommend soldering all connections and heat shrinking them. If you do not have access to heat shrink neatly wrapped electrical tape will do just fine. It is also extremely helpful to have an extra multi-point injection engine harness laying around to take plugs from (i.e. injector plugs, injector resistor box plug, and distributor plug). Listed below is a straightforward and easy to follow set of instructions to help you complete your DX to ZC swap:

Inside car at the ECU plug:
• Pins B10 and B12 are empty. Unused pins can be taken from B2 or B11. Some models have a wire located at B12.
• Cut orange and white wires off at C1 and C2 and connect them to wires added at B10 and B12. Orange-B10. White-B12. Leave enough wire for next step.
• Run wires from C1 and C2 (direct ECU connection) into the engine compartment. Label these wires for later use.
• Cut wires at A3 and A7 leaving plenty of wire. Run these wires into the engine compartment and label them for later use.

Outside car
• Transfer DX wiring harness over to ZC engine.
• TPS and EACV plugs are too short and must be extended.
• Be sure to switch green/white and yellow/white wires on TPS

Injectors and injector resistor box
• Connect the yellow/black wires from the two DX injector harnesses and run it to the yellow/black wire on the injector resistor box.
• Connect the yellow wire from the DX injector to the #1 injector (brown wire).
• Connect the red wire from the DX injector and run it to the #3 injector (blue wire).
• Connect the A3 wire to the #2 injector (red wire).
• Connect the A7 wire to the #4 injector (yellow wire).
• Connect the 4 red/black wires from injector resistor box to each injector.
Cylinder position sensor
• Connect C1 to blue/green wire on cylinder position sensor plug.
• Connect C2 to blue/yellow wire on cylinder position sensor plug.

That’s it. Double check everything and start it up. Good luck!

If you still have doubts on the conversion read this thread completely, there are lots of links for more write-ups on it plus answers to common questions. ;)
Last edited by el_jelly on Sun May 22, 2011 4:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby alslord » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:09 am

Where to buy full conversion kit? And NOOB instruction please :) :D

Thanks
Honda Civic 1990 STD YO!
alslord
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby el_jelly » Mon May 26, 2003 8:12 pm

I thought this thread will need a revival. Many interested on the conversion.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby speedracer » Tue May 27, 2003 12:26 am

i heard that hasport makes a wiring harness to make this conversion easier for the common folk is this true
speedracer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby el_jelly » Tue May 27, 2003 2:20 am

I know they have an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness but haven't heard about that one. Will check hasport.com to see.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby speedracer » Tue May 27, 2003 1:22 pm

http://www.hasport.com/Products/Wiring.htm im 99% sure that this is it
speedracer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Umm easier way?

Postby gelkingt » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:33 am

Couldn't you just get the ecu, wiring harness, fuel rail, injectors, and intake from another car and put it all in instead of wiring it all together from the crappy dx ecu? Cuz i can get an 89 acura integra engine and i wanna know if i can put the intake on the d15b2, or just drop the engine in.
gelkingt

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby civicFROMdaBRIX » Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:10 am

Do u Have Ant Pics Of This Swap? And Do U Have To Put a the MPFi Intake Manifold On TO?
civicFROMdaBRIX
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby Sandman » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:13 am

You people have it made. You can legally put a more powerfull engine in your civics, but here we have to use an engine that was available to the car as new.

Plus if you want to tune it, you can increase the displacement(engine size if the term is not right) by 20 prosent to the largest possible engine, and the power output by 25 prosent(could be off by a prosent or two). And if you do tune the engine, you'll have to upgrade your brakes to match the brakes on the top model. N20 is illegal if you have the bottle installed and the N20 injectors in. Though people have discarded these rules and change the car back to legal in time for the cars annual check up.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic Member ride topic
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

IN NEED OF HELP BAD>>w/ DPFI TO MPFI SWAP

Postby teal_civic_mobile » Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:48 am

hi im doin a dpfi to mpfi as i speak and im stuck pretty bad as of now.... a few things first i need to know where i can get a diagram of where the (EACV)( electronic air control valve) runs to off the back of the manifold and where should it run too...
plus i've been followin some directions off of www.geocities.com/c_rexboy/mpfi.html and he mentions to cut and add a wire from the (cylinder position sensor) to (B12) socket in the ecu... what if there is a wire already in there what do i do from there add them together or what.. i'm in real need of help right now so whatever anyone comes up with would be a great deal of help!!! so thanx for reading this.....teal_civic_mobile
teal_civic_mobile

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby civic1784 » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:08 am

nope haven't yet, fill me in.

people have twin turbod B16s, but i think that it's a waste to twin turbo a 1.5L because the volume of exhaust gases is low comparatively.
[size=7px]CIVIC4G.COM[/size]
civic1784
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby Civic_legalR » Sun Dec 21, 2003 1:16 am

To bad the european dpi's are diffirent, the colors don't match. But we found the problem
Streetlegalhonda.nl
Civic_legalR
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

question on multi port swap

Postby x605 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:42 am

hi everyone im a new person on this board, im selling an engine and am regularly checkin up on that i have a 89 dx hatch,YAY!! :wink: lol
i need to know if anyone has put the intake mani/injectors off a d16z6 (the motor im selling) is it the same as the dx to si manifold swap?, also does anyone know if CRX SI seats are the same as the hatch SI seats?
thanks
Jon
osama yo mama
x605

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby ErMaK » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:28 pm

Nice info. This will definatly come in handy.
ErMaK

ZC

Postby gutted-dx » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:32 pm

Good instructions soon to be ZC4g
gutted-dx
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Next

Return to How-To's