CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

The DIY forum
Forum rules
Please post any new articles in the "Tech Discussion" forum. After approval the thread will be moved to this forum.

DISCLAIMER PLEASE READ!
Civic4g.com or the authors of the articles cannot be held liable for any consequences whatsoever of the information or advice they provide.
DIY can go wrong, with expensive or even dangerous consequences, and it therefore must be stressed that nothing should be attempted without applying common sense, and only if you are confident in your ability to carry out the job with safety. You cannot expect answers to your questions to include a complete list of possible pitfalls. Remember that the advice has been given to you in good faith for free, and neither its accuracy nor legality can be relied upon.
If you are unsure about anything then do please ask!

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby CivicBot » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:17 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I have an 89 Civic DX hb that I converted from DPFI to MPFI.
I did this swap about 4 years ago and it works great! I installed an Si head, cam, intake and ECU from an 89 Si and also got the harness from it. I didn't cut any wires; I made them all up using the Si harness. It took me a couple of weekends but I did it without a hitch.
It's still not quick but it certain is QUICKER than with the DPFI. You can definitely feel the difference and I haven't had a problem with passing emissions also.
CivicBot

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby freydaddy » Sat May 26, 2007 9:04 pm

i was going over the general guide for doing this swap and came across a question????? lets see who can answer. im sure im not the only dumbass wanting to know. in doing the swap, i also swapped the ecu--now a PM6 (was the PM9) is it still possible to use this guide when the ecu is swapped? the only difference is now its a VTEC head off a 94 EX.
1991 D16A6 Mini-Me OBD1...TURBO
freydaddy
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby siR in progress » Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 pm

youre changing from obd-0 to obd-1 when you change the computers,there more wiring since you put in the VTEC and the other sensors but you eliminate the use of the injector resistor box,plus i think alot of the pinouts are different. use a jumper harness and run your wires
siR anyone?
siR in progress
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby civicjdmb16a » Sat May 26, 2007 10:10 pm

"siR in progress" wrote:youre changing from obd-0 to obd-1 when you change the computers,there more wiring since you put in the VTEC and the other sensors but you eliminate the use of the injector resistor box,plus i think alot of the pinouts are different. use a jumper harness and run your wires

I didnt lose my resistor box when i changed over
civicjdmb16a
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby siR in progress » Sat May 26, 2007 10:17 pm

its if you change your injectors to obd1 injectors you lose the box
siR anyone?
siR in progress
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby civicjdmb16a » Sat May 26, 2007 10:36 pm

gottcha :wink:
civicjdmb16a
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby Ci\/iC » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:20 pm

I'm interested in doing the conversion, but before I do, I have a few questions.

Since I have an automatic transmission, that will mean that I need a different ecu, so which one will I need?

I have cruise control and I want to keep it, will that cause a problem?

I haven't looked, but since I have cruise and an auto tranny, would I have a wire already going to pin B12 on my ECU? If I do, what would I have to do with the wire from C2?
Ci\/iC
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby siR in progress » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:36 pm

i have an 89 teg ecu,im not sure you may have to look at the pinouts on that but it came from an auto teg
siR anyone?
siR in progress
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby 4g4door » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:54 am

Do you need to have the shorter si throttle cable to do this swap? Or can the DX throttle cable be used?
Crashing a Honda is like kicking a puppy; Its just sad.
4g4door
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby kevo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Hey, i just got a 91 hatch se it comes with a dpfi and i want to convert it to mpfi, i was wondering if i could take the intake manifold and wiring from a 1992-1995 Honda Civic CX (Canadian model) and incorporate it into my civic. Is the procedure of converting it the same as with the ZC?
kevo

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby freydaddy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:36 pm

"kevo" wrote:Hey, i just got a 91 hatch se it comes with a dpfi and i want to convert it to mpfi, i was wondering if i could take the intake manifold and wiring from a 1992-1995 Honda Civic CX (Canadian model) and incorporate it into my civic. Is the procedure of converting it the same as with the ZC?

i think you would use a different head for that intake :?:
1991 D16A6 Mini-Me OBD1...TURBO
freydaddy
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby el_jelly » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:15 pm

I don't remember ths specs for the canadian cx model but if it's similar to the z6 then to put it on the a6 it would be like a mini-me swap.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby classictuners » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:39 pm

i've had my mpfi swap for a while now and it runs fine, but idles low, and before the engine warms up the idle fluctuates a little.
I know that my fitv valve isn't wired up, and i'm certain that the vacuum lines aren't routed correctly, also take in mind that i have removed the charcoal canister, and purge cut-off solenoid. i still have the wire plug from the purge valve, i read that if i cut the wire and ground it, i will loose the 20 flash ecu code, however since i've removed the valve, the plug is just dangling there and i don't see how that would work, i tryed grounding the wire but it just blew the no. 14 fuse.
Also i'm not sure if my coolant lines on the intake manifold and TB are routed correctly.
Like i said, my engine runs great, just idles a bit low and fluctuates, any info and pictures of the proper routing of vacuum lines and coolant hoses would be great, if i knew someone with a stock si i could just look at there engine but life isn't that easy :x for the record i have a d16a6 in a 91 dx as if you didn't already know :D
Loving Father, Honda Tech, Aspiring Auto-crosser, tenacious builder...

Honda inventory...
- 1991 Civic DX hatchback, SCCA Solo E Prepared
- 2010 Honda Fit Sport, SCCA Solo Street Touring FWD, Toyo tires
classictuners
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby totally_stock_civic » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:08 pm

classictuners, her is a forum posting that has some good info about vacuum lines and stuff.
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f94/basic-mpfi-swap-how-128905/
as for coolant lines, i'll get you a routing when i get home. but one side of the eacv goes to the coolant pipe on the engine, the other connection goes to the throttle body. other side of throttle body goes to pipe hooked to breather. other end of that goes to the small fitting on the manifold above the bigger hose connection.
hey, you must be a parkin' ticket...'cuz you got fine written all over you. giggety giggety goo!
totally_stock_civic
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

DPFI to MPFI Conversion

Postby classictuners » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:18 pm

thanks a bunch man, every little thing helps :D
Loving Father, Honda Tech, Aspiring Auto-crosser, tenacious builder...

Honda inventory...
- 1991 Civic DX hatchback, SCCA Solo E Prepared
- 2010 Honda Fit Sport, SCCA Solo Street Touring FWD, Toyo tires
classictuners
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

PreviousNext

Return to How-To's