CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Carpet Installation with Pics!

Anything 4th gen non-TECH

Carpet Installation with Pics!

Postby Scott91EF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:16 am

So, some of you may recall me mentioning that I ordered some replacement carpet for my hatch and was planning on doing a post/review. My carpet was pretty dirty, the previous owner had let a dog with short, wiry hair ride in it a lot and there was all of this hair that would not vaccuum out. I think the previous owner also routinely hauled pine needles by the ton because there were pine needle stuck in every crack and crevice. Basically 20 years of use and none of the previous owners were clean freaks like me. I pulled the carpet out of the car in an attempt to steam clean it with dismal results. Luckily my wife felt sorry for me and googled auto upholestry and found this site that sold direct fit replacement carpet. The site is autointeriors.com...there are several similar sites and they may or may not all be the same. Price was $145 plus about $15 shipping to my location. Sounded like a good deal so I figured "what the heck".

They offer several colors, I chose navy blue because that was the OEM color. Obviously they offer options for other makes and models, not strictly Honda or anything. Ordering was easy and my carpet shipped when expected. I think there's a 3-5 day turn around on orders and then shipping takes how ever long UPS ground takes to your location. No issues with service or shipping.

The carpet arrived and the company recommends letting it lay flat for a day or so to regain shape. Use this time to compare it to your old carpet. My carpet was close to the OEM shape and size. It comes as one piece with no cut-ots, you have to do that yourself. Take your time and remember "measure twice, cut once". Having everything out of my car allowed me to take some time to figure out a sturdier way to mount my DC2 console, it's bolted in flush and very stable now. Cleaned out the floorpan really well and got started.

They suggest starting from the middle and working your way out, the gearshift area. My carpet was molded and you could tell how it was supposed to lay. I wish that it was more "form fitting" but that may just not be realistic to expect. I cut out the gearshift area and started working out from there. I cut one slit to get it around the console (the main one with stereo and climate control) but I guess you could remove it. I got it to lay flat behind there so I wasn't worried. I could have done a neater/better job cutting around the seat bracket holes, I cut mine a little too large and in some seat positions you can see the metal.

The old carpet had a plastic rail edge where the carpet met the door sill. The new carpet did not. Maybe it was due to my inexperience but I don't think it fit in the door sill that well. My carpet tends to pucker at the door sills and where it meets the backseat. Not a huge deal since there's not a lot of in and out traffic in my car, just me, but about once a week or so I have to tuck it back in a little.

Overall I'm pleased with the quality of the carpet. The problems with the puckering could be my fault. $145 is certainly very reasonable for replacement carpet. I kind of wish that I had got black now since I ordered black seats. Maybe on down the road I'll give it another shot with black carpet and paint the rest of my interior plastics black but for now I'm happy with the result. If your carpet is trashed it's an affordable solution. With a little more work I'm sure that you may get a better result than I did.
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Re: Carpet Installation with Pics!

Postby Scott91EF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:19 am

Old carpet

new carpet

Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby Scott91EF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:21 am

Gutted interior

Home Depot carpet padding

Carpet installed

Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby Scott91EF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:23 am

Sorry I don't have more pics of the process, they didn't turn out. You get the idea, installation is simple...take your time and measure...I'm sure with a little more work someone could get a better looking result. Mine is not too bad, just a little puckering around the door sill and rear seat.
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby Northwesteclipse » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:14 am

That looks really good. How long did it take you to put in?
Northwesteclipse
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby Scott91EF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:19 am

Northwesteclipse wrote:That looks really good. How long did it take you to put in?

A few hours, it's not hard but obviously if you take your time you get a better result. I rushed a few of my cuts... :-[
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby sstupid » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 am

Looks awesome, Scott! After a few months of heat in the summer, the carpet will begin to lay flat and those puckered edges will smooth out some.
sstupid
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby Chiny » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:19 pm

This what I was waiting for! Yes! It looks great, can't wait to do mine. It's so hard when the hatch is a daily driver to actually have time to do a project like that but I will def. get it done. Can I see your new seats? ;D
Chiny
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby Scott91EF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:40 pm

Chiny wrote:This what I was waiting for! Yes! It looks great, can't wait to do mine. It's so hard when the hatch is a daily driver to actually have time to do a project like that but I will def. get it done. Can I see your new seats? ;D

I did mine in one afternoon. A little prep work will save you some time. Just take your time making the cuts. I started another thread with pics of the new seats.
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby el_jelly » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Looks all great. Seeing that you removed almost everything in the interior you could have also remove the radio console metal brace (I think it has 4 bolts) and slide the carpet down it so no need for cutting it. Also putting the old carpet over the new one to use as a mold for cutting the holes is a little easier than guessing where they must be :) . Overall you did a great job.

Scott91EF wrote:Home Depot carpet padding

Carpet installed

Questions about this
-The new carpet doesn't have an underside padding? or you just added the home dep padding as extra layering? I suppose this may also help quiet the interior from noise and vibration, even the audio equip may sound better.

-How the carpet attaches to the door sills and b pillar post? Stock one has plastic strips with carpet clipped to it, the replacement has this too or you make something to attache them?

- I have seen people mounting custom carpets and since the back of some of them are plastic they use a heat gun while pressing the carpet to make it form better to the curves of the car, can this be done to this carpet?

One good thing about new carpets is that they make the car smell like new ;D . Thanks for the pics and info scott :thumbright: .
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby Scott91EF » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Yeah, I should have removed the console with the stereo and heater controls although that little slit was the least of my problems. The only reason I didn't lay the old over the new when cutting was because the old was so disgusting. In retrospect a little mess on the new carpet may have saved some trouble. The new carpet had underside padding similar to the stock carpet but my car also had additional padding that I replaced with new. The new carpet did not have the plastic strips and that was one area that I had trouble. I tried to remove the trim on the door sill but mine is stuck on there pretty good. I actually broke the special hex socket trying to take it off. Every week or so I have to tuck the carpet back under because it puckered. I may go back and try the heat gun. The carpet is plastic backed and that may work. I was hoping that it would become more form fitting with time but that's probably not the case. The carpet is definitely worth the price and with a little more ingenuity you could probably achieve a better result. Overall I'm happy with the outcome.
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby el_jelly » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:25 pm

And how did you attachecd the carpet to the door sills, fabricated some strip or bolted the carpet to the plastic?
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby 91EFbluehatch » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:09 pm

i would eventually take the plastic strips off of the old carpet. and staple it onto the new.
91 CIVIC hatch. b16a2 in the works
91EFbluehatch
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Postby Chiny » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:43 pm

Scott, can you tell me the website you bought the carpet from again? I was look on www.auto-interior.com and I didn't see an option for "navy blue", there was a dark blue but I didn't know if that was the same one. Then there was an ocean blue and a fed blue. I wanted to order the one close to OEM like you have.
Chiny
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby alexmark » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Carpet padding looks of good quality. Really nice. When you first mentioned navy blue i was not sure of how it wold look but when i saw the pic must say nice color choice. I vacuum my car carpet and this is what i have been doing since 7 years and the carpet still works well for me. I have a grey color carpet stair treads. But after looking at your carpet i too think of replacing mine. :)
alexmark

Return to General Discussion