CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Front end damage

Anything 4th gen non-TECH

Re: Front end damage

Postby cjohnsontech » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:01 am

zloetakoe wrote:Maybe the hood is bent and thats how it sits? I got it from the yard and it wasn't closing very well on the car it was on, but I thought it was the hinges (replaced with my hinges). Also, the drivers side corner nearest the front headlight is elevated about an inch after I use enough force to close the latch...

If you can, see if someone else's hood works. Otherwise, I'd see if it looks straight still by setting it on the ground flat and measuring to make sure the front corners are the same height off the ground. You may be able to tell if it is slightly twisted this way too. If it was at the boneyard with it propped up in the sun for long enough, it may have warped or been damaged previously...
Trying to keep my page current with worthwhile information. PM me if you want me to add something:
http://www.cjohnsontech.com
cjohnsontech
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby 91hatchligon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:28 am

Did you just replace the hood or did you replace the hinges as well? Also lets see a picture of the not fitting hood.
91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby zloetakoe » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:07 am

Good ideas ya'll.

The hood was from the JY, I used MY car's hinges (originally).

Last night out of frustration I tried to straighten the other hinges that came with the hood from the junkyard instead of the ones on my carand it actually shut much easier, but instead of being able to just drop the hood from about 3 inches from the latch and having the hood latch shut like it used to, it now sits up about 3 inches away from the latch and is resting on that rear hood gasket. Again, with the current hinges it has a lot less resistance and will shut and actually looks halfway decent compared to what it used to look like. HOOD does not UNLATCH unless 1 person is pullling the latch cord and another person is pushing down on front of hood. Once shut, it's on there pretty good.

How does someone put pictures on here? Do I have to post it online before posting?
zloetakoe
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby cjohnsontech » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:15 am

Open up a free PhotoBucket account and upload it to there. then it will give you a link to the image that you can copy into here. It will even give you the BB code to post it up with the IMG tags to make it show up inline.
Trying to keep my page current with worthwhile information. PM me if you want me to add something:
http://www.cjohnsontech.com
cjohnsontech
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby zloetakoe » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:43 am

zloetakoe
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby 91hatchligon » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:56 am

If the hinges are good then compare the old latch assembly to the new see if any of it looks different.
91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby zloetakoe » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:01 am

I'm about 90% sure that it's the hinges giving me fits.

Tired of taking the hood on and off though (so is my assistant - wife).

Drove the car tonight. Still amazed that there was no further damage to the suspension, car drives straight as ever. Driver headlight is a bit off, but other than that no complaints. LOVE LOVE LOVE the way these old buckets drive.
zloetakoe
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby zloetakoe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:30 am

zloetakoe wrote:I'm about 90% sure that it's the hinges giving me fits.

Tired of taking the hood on and off though (so is my assistant - wife).

Drove the car tonight. Still amazed that there was no further damage to the suspension, car drives straight as ever. Driver headlight is a bit off, but other than that no complaints. LOVE LOVE LOVE the way these old buckets drive.

Hey all. it's been a while. Things are SLOW on this forum (unfortunately).

I sold this car to my neighbor for $500 bucks. wish I would have kept it actually. hope all is well for everyone.
zloetakoe
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby Sandman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:54 pm

Hey

Unfortunately it's slower for every conventional forum. Times change and ppl use social media more.
But good to hear you're still going strong - even if the car is gone. :)
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic Member ride topic
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to General Discussion