CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Mini-me swap?

Anything 4th gen non-TECH

Mini-me swap?

Postby allaboutthathatch » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Hello. everyone. I once again own a 1990 civic hatch. I bought the car for $550 delivered to my door from 2:30 hrs away. 8) I was told by the owner it had a cracked head. There was some water on the dipstick and some in the valve cover. When i drained the oil and water/coolant. I didn't really notice water in oil or oil in water. Either way the car was running on 2 cylinders at best. The car came with a VTEC head for a replacement. the block is a D15B2 and the stamp on VTEC head says P08-2 (P08 is the head off a JDM D15B sohc vtec motor. I do not know what the "xxx-2" is there for, but p08 is D15b vtec head. Very similar to a D16Z6 head but has more aggressive cams according to honda-tech forum) So the big question? What all do I need for the build any suggestions and average cost? The last civic I had I had a d16a8 put in it all said and done that ran me about $800 4+ years ago. I'm hoping I can do this for a couple hundred since I have the head already. If not I think I'll just save up a few more months and get another bigger engine.
allaboutthathatch

Re: Mini-me swap?

Postby Jon Widmer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:25 am

Saving up and getting a larger (possibly lower mileage) engine sounds like it may be better it terms of cost. You may spend more money fixing everything on your current setup along with the head swap. Rebuilding can be great though, as long as you know it's performed correctly. Spending the extra cash for a rebuild could be more beneficial in the long run.

Personally, I have had a lot of luck with low mileage Jdm engines. That's the route I would go with.
Jon Widmer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Return to General Discussion