CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

New ignition switch doesn't seem to work?

Anything 4th gen non-TECH

New ignition switch doesn't seem to work?

Postby badclearcoat » Fri May 06, 2016 9:06 pm

Hi everyone. My 1990 Civic LX almost got ripped off the other day. I think whoever tried to steal it was a dummy and couldn't figure it out, so they just left me with a cut ignition switch and a damaged key lock cylinder. I'm trying to get the engine running with a new ignition switch in my driveway before I bother getting new keys.

I went to the pick-and-pull and got a new ignition switch from another 4G. I removed my damaged switch and plugged the new one in at both places (one in the fuse box, and another in the nearby harness) and turned the switch to start the car, but nothing happened. I noticed I didn't even get Battery or Oil lights on the dash either, which happens normally when the ignition is turned. Headlights work fine, so my battery seems good.

I have the Haynes manual for 4Gs, which states I am failing the first step of the ignition check, where "ignition and battery supply to the ECU". Since my battery seems good, I think I have a problem with my ignition switch (or elsewhere). I am about to test my new ignition switch with an ohmmeter (per Haynes 7-7 through 7-8) to make sure it works. Assuming my ignition switch is OK, where else could I look for problems? What other electrical components are required for ignition which could possibly be damaged?

Any help would be appreciated. I wish I was better with electrical!
badclearcoat

Re: New ignition switch doesn't seem to work?

Postby 91hatchligon » Thu May 12, 2016 5:19 pm

I would guess that the moron that tried to steal it fried a fuse under the hood or possibly the main relay.
91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby badclearcoat » Mon May 16, 2016 1:23 am

91hatchligon wrote:I would guess that the moron that tried to steal it fried a fuse under the hood or possibly the main relay.

I just checked the fuses 2 and 14 (Starter Signal and Alternator/Solenoid Valve)(only fuses that looked related to ignition, everything else on the map was cabin accessories) and they both looked OK to me. And I actually do have a spare main relay, I swapped that in today too. And also, I ordered a brand new ignition switch off eBay as well. Hooked it all up, and - no luck. :(

To summarize:

New ignition switch
New main relay
Fuses 2 and 14 visual inspection OK
Battery OK
And still nothing at all when I turn the ignition switch. Anyone else have an idea where I could look next? I'd love to get the engine turning in my driveway if I can.
badclearcoat

Postby 91hatchligon » Mon May 16, 2016 6:45 am

Check the fuses under the hood specifically 31 and 32 the fuse box is located on the passenger side on top of the shock.

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Return to General Discussion