CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

d16z6 into 90 std wiring help please

Anything 4th gen TECH related

d16z6 into 90 std wiring help please

Postby beg_for_mercy » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:42 pm

so heres what i got a totaled 93 civic si coupe vtec d16z6 and all parts and 90 std with a blown d15b1 i no how to take it all out and put in back in but my problem is how to do the wiring i no i have to do dpfi to mpfi but what els do i need to do to run it off the d16z6 stock ecu
thanks jason
beg_for_mercy

Re: d16z6 into 90 std wiring help please

Postby el_jelly » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:11 pm

First read this topic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9501 all is there.

Basically you almost have everything to do it except the conversion harness for making the ecu work. There are tutorials around on how to make them but we are talking about changing, depinning and repinning, soldering, etc a lot of wires. If you are good at wiring then go for it, IMO is better to buy one already made. Check rywire, boomslang, xenocron and others to get it, they come with the additional wires needed for this mod (extension for the o2 sensor and dizzy plugs).
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby 1990zc » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:50 pm

if u have the whole donor car jus remove the engine with the ecu and all wiriing rip out your old ecu harness and replace and your golden
1990zc

Postby beg_for_mercy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:03 am

so basically i can just swap the engine and take out the old wiring harness and just use that whole wiring harness with the ecu from that engine and it will all hook up? and what about the speedo do i need to change anything there or just use the stock one from the std
beg_for_mercy

Postby el_jelly » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:45 am

If it would be that easy (swap the engine and use the harness from it) then nobody would be selling conversion harnesses and all this stuff.
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby beg_for_mercy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:31 pm

well i got lots of time 2 do wiring i already nno what mods neeed to be done but i need to no how like what wires to depin cut and solder
beg_for_mercy

Postby el_jelly » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:08 am

this is why it's suggested to buy a jumping harness...

the conversion harness:
is just the male connectors cut off an obd1 harness matched to the female connectors of a obd0 ecu and an extended little harness...

this is the diagram on how to make it:

for example, injector #4 wiring, you cut the wire on the ef harness that goes to the A plug pin #7, then you go to the z6 harness, look for the A plug pin#2, cut the wire and solder it to the wire on the ef harness mentioned before. And so on for another 40+ wires. This way you won't be making a jumper conversion harness like pictured above, you will be making a full conversion of your stock ef harness. It's really no big deal if you know and like to work with wires, the problem is that one wire incorrectly put, pinned bad, if the wire has bad resistance, etc. and you may have a nightmare. That's the reason some suggest a conversion harness, to avoid headaches and leave the obd0 harness "virgin". :D

the dizzy plugs also need some mods, you either cut the plugs on the dizzy and wire them up to the stock ef harness or make a conversion plug like this one side ef harness dizzy plug, the other side z6 dizzy plug:

some people make and sold them but you can save cash by just cutting and/or pinning wires accordingly, if you have the diagrams for it:

the injectors: if you use the ones on the z6 engines they don't need the resistor box (less stuff to have) but the plugs of the ef stock harness won't fit them, so you need to cut the ones on the z6 harness and wire them correctly to the ef harness (no big deal but more work to do). You can save this work by using the ef obd0 injectors but you will need to put in the res box.

Since you have everything from the two cars then try to do it, you will learn a lot. The above obd0-obd1 diagram is an online reference, I can't be 100% sure it's all correct. Here's a great page on the conversion with pics and good info: click. I think their pin positions are 100% correct.
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby beg_for_mercy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:39 am

thanks you thats exactly what im lookin for ill let u no how it goes lol this should be fun :thumbright:
beg_for_mercy

Postby el_jelly » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:20 am

write all down, take pics, etc and make a good article on the DIY thread ;) .
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby beg_for_mercy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:16 am

i actually got one more question to do this i would have to swap the original harnees from dpfi to mpfi right?
thanks
beg_for_mercy

Postby el_jelly » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:09 am

yes, the only difference is that you will be wiring the dizzy as the obd0-odb1 isntructions above, and you will not have to get and install a resistor box (if you go with the z6 obd1 injectors). I have read about people trying to do both things at the same time, attempting to convert the ef harness to obd1 and mpfi at the same time. Is best to add the wires mentioned in the dpfi to mpfi articles, change the wires at the sensors and then go for the obd1 part, IMO (I get easily pissed when working with wires so I like to take it easy ::) ).
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby beg_for_mercy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:02 am

ok so i did the dpfi to mpfi and now im trying to work on the odbo to obd1 conversion but i ran into a problem it says connect a16 to b5 but there is no b5 on my harness and a11 to a10 theres no a10 on my harness a12 to b4 theres no wire in b4
thanks jason
beg_for_mercy

Return to Tech Discussion