CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

wheel positioned too close to body

Anything 4th gen TECH related

wheel positioned too close to body

Postby RaspberyRoby » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:30 am

What's up again everyone. Another issue. I'm a perfect example of buying a cheap shitty car with no money and understanding of cars who has to learn to fix the car. Anyways my left wheel in the front is too close to the fender and body of the car. Its visable and when I make a left turn I can hear it rub. It looks like the uca got pushed back a bit because compared to the other side, its too far back and I can't get a grip on the bolts if that makes sense. I took it to a auto body shop thinking maybe I had a crack, but the guy pointed out that it could just be a bent part, maybe a lca or something. But I don't know what a bent lca looks like, or what else could possibly be bent. Also I realized today that the bar that attatches from the lca to the front cross member I think, the one the radiator is above, moves a bit when I turn the wheels, the other side does not. I know this is a lot to read but if you can help me, please help id love to get some pics up of my car fiinally.
RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Re: wheel positioned too close to body

Postby el_jelly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:39 am

You mean the UCA is too far deep into the shock tower or too far up? If it's too far up then maybe the bolts or the bushings are worn or broken. If it's too far inside then the knuckle could be the cause (it could be severely bent), however you can easily see that by looking the car from the front, wheels straight. If the wheel is slanted in (too much negative camber) then that could be the problem. The LCA could also be bent but I doubt that, ball joints should also be checked.

Keep in mind that a common hit our cars take at accidents is in the front fenders, too hard on it and the shock tower may loose its stock position sending the suspension geometry way off. Try to find out if the car has been involved in an accident, also a shop specialized in chassis stuff (not an auto body shop) could check if the body of the car is straight or if it has some structural damage that is affecting the suspension parts. Our cars are good ones but they don't have vault-like solid structure.

The bar that goes from the LCA to the front crossmember is the radius rod, if it moves then the bolts that attaches to the LCA could be loose or the bushing that attaches it to the crossmember could be broken.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby freydaddy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:49 pm

ya id say its all about the radius rod.
that it what keeps the wheel/suspension from moving front to back.
see if you can adjust the nut...use a tape measure and compare to the other side.
then you will definitely need an alignment.
freydaddy
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby RaspberyRoby » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:06 am

Hey guys, heres some pictures, iv been too busy to get under the car and check it out but here are the pics.

This is the left side, the bad side.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the right side. you can see how they are positioned differently.

This is the front cross member on the left side, you cant really tell from the picture but its been moving, you can kinda see.

RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby el_jelly » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Difficult to see if the wheels are aligned and straight from that angle, it has to be seen from the front. Is there rust at any of the mounting points of the crossmember?
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby RaspberyRoby » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:12 am

They were pretty close to both poiinting forward, but even when for ward the gap is still very noticable. Not rust I don't think, just looks like metal shavings to me.
RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby freydaddy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:24 pm

using a tape measure, from front to back, measure from center of the wheels.
do both sides to see the difference.
its not anything that cannot be corrected.
freydaddy
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby RaspberyRoby » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:31 am

Hey everyone update. I had time to take off the wheels this weekend and do some measuring and take a few pictures.
The wheel is shifted about an inch from what i measured.
1. When i pulled the wheels off I noticed that the bad side (left, passenger) lower control arm sits a noticably amount lower. I took a picture which i will upload but its not that great of an angle, but trust me, its pretty clear if you looked at it.
2. I took a picture of what looks like a crack or something, but the crack doesnt appear on the other side.
3.The lca bushings were kinda cracked, but i figured thats universal with efs as of now.
4. The bolts holding the front cross member on the left side were pretty loose, i hardly put any force on and they started to loosen up more, and when i tightend them it tightend a half turn at least.
5.This one part, (i have no idea what it is so i took a picture of it,) looks like its somewhat broken off on the bad side.

Here are the pictures

Heres the thing I dont recognize.

The thing that connects from the lca to the body and looks like a u. this is the good side, the bad side the part on the body looks like its been puished down and not fully on the body anymore.

RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby RaspberyRoby » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:40 am

Oops forgot this one Image

RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby freydaddy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:39 am

has the car ever been wrecked on the front passenger side?
freydaddy
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby RaspberyRoby » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:48 am

Not that I know of, I mean I swapped my engine and I had replaced the knuckle and uca because the ball joint got stripped. They gave me a crx knuckle I think or an 89 civ knuckle, I don't think that made a difference but it mght have? Some other facts are I ran over a dead deer on that side, not on purpose, and the engine mount broke one time and crushed the axel, which is what I'm thinking caused the issue.
RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby RaspberyRoby » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Damn guys I really need some help. Iv been tryna search why one lca could be lower than another or an explanation on what to replace and all iv found is people asking the samw questions with no asnwers.. this really sucks it affects my steering so much. Any ideas? I'm despeate
RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby FlatTireRacer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:20 am

From what I can see with the fronts, is exactly what freydaddy is suggesting. Looks like your radius arm could be in bad shape. If you're unsure which one that is, it's the straight one that goes from the front LCA to the lower subframe. If the bushings on those radius arms go bad, they will severly mess with your caster, which from what I can tell is the majority of your problem. There is also a steel collar that happens to help center those bushings. If it gets crushed or damaged it can make locating the radius arm difficult as well. Those bushings are fairly cheap even from the dealer. If your more concerned about longevity, spring for the poly replacements. The poly one's will aid in eliminating wheel hop as well. As for the hoop in the last set of pics, that acts as basically a guard for the tie rods and there some frame strengthening as well. If you're running stuff over as large as deer in the road my next suggestion is to get that poor car on an alignment rack as soon as possible. Who knows what kind of structural damage has occured there, much less mechanical! Good luck to ya, and I hope some of that helps.
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby RaspberyRoby » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks that does help, but what do you think about that crack thing?
RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby FlatTireRacer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:55 pm

It looks to me like you bottomed a shock out. HARD! You might wanna get that looked at by a body shop. If you have a cracked weld there, the next time you hit pot-hole or something could put you into a curb. I'd look on inside of the bay as well. If there's a crack like that on the outside there's bound to be one on the inside as well.
FlatTireRacer
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Next

Return to Tech Discussion