CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

wheel positioned too close to body

Anything 4th gen TECH related

Re: wheel positioned too close to body

Postby RaspberyRoby » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:28 am

Hey everyone, whats up. So am 99% sure we figured out how to fix the problem. The crack isnt effecting anything, as of yet at least but i took it to a local shop (KBR Tuning, Great shop, great prices and awesome service. Located in Vallejo CA for anyone who is interested) and they took a look at it with me and estimated to weld it would only cost around 60-80, compared to another body shop who wanted 500 plus.. rediculas.
The solution however sounds pretty dumb and i wish i would have thought of it before.
The Front crossmember has 2 holes on either side, and above them on the body of the car there are two more holes.
These holes need to be lined up because the radius rod is connected to the front cross member. So if the crossmember is pushed back, the wheel will be as well.
This can happen from hitting a curb, pot hole, running over a dead deer (it was dark, long story.)
So untighten the bolts, put a thick enough rod in to line up the holes and rebolt it. I plan to do this tomorrow but im 99% sure it will work. Probably will end up replacing bushings and lower control arm.
I saw a lot of other threads with the same problem so i hope i helped out, maybe I'll take pictures and upload them and create a diy how to thing.
RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby el_jelly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks for the info, I hope that's the cause and this may help in the future.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby RaspberyRoby » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:23 am

Alright, so I did what I described today, mixed results. It deffinitly helped, it brought my wheel forward a bit, not as much as I had hoped but it did help. I just realized maybe my fender and bumper aren't aligned correctly but I doubht it. But what I described worked and probably will for others, I jsut think something else is wrong with my car
RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Re: wheel positioned too close to body solution!

Postby RaspberyRoby » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Hey everyone sorry for reviving this but I found the solution and I thought I might as well share it with everyone.
What ended up happening is my radius rod bent, causing it to push against the front crossmember in a way it wasn't supposed to. It then grinded a semicircle in the crossmember and it got stuck there. This caused the alightment to be way off. Also my lca sat lower due to the bend, which didn't help either.

Solution- replace radius rod and crossmember. If you have this issue check if your rods look bent, then remove the screws and rubber connecting the rod to the cross member to check if it sill looks good. If not, there's your problem.
Hope this helps someone in the future.
Last edited by RaspberyRoby on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaspberyRoby
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby el_jelly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks for the info.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Previous

Return to Tech Discussion