CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Power steering removal - Manual rack conversion?

Anything 4th gen TECH related

Power steering removal - Manual rack conversion?

Postby JDMfrank » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 pm

Just wondering what id need to do this properly lad's

Is it just a case of getting a Steering rack from a civic with no power steering and switch them over?

Id need the rack and column? Any other part's id need?

Any help at all on this is appreciated. What i want to do is change the car completely to maual steering :thumbright:

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by JDMfrank on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDMfrank

Re: Power steering removal

Postby po18guy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:25 am

el_jelly has got to know this one. If you have the manual rack, compare it carefully to the power unit on the car, to ensure that mount points and steering column attachment points are the same, and that the attach points for the inner tie rods are in the same position and distance apart. . If that is the case, the swap "should" be simple enough. Knowing of Honda's penchant to change parts for no apparent reason, there certainly could be some sort of complication.
po18guy

Re: Power steering removal

Postby JDMfrank » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Hopefully el_jelly will reaply. I can get the manual rack cheap but it's abit of a drive to get it so i wana be sure i can use it in the car or if ill need other parts first.
JDMfrank

Re: Power steering removal - Manual rack conversion?

Postby JDMfrank » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:06 am

Need to know this soon.

Anyone know what else ill need if anything to turn the car to completely manual steering? :thumbright:
JDMfrank

Postby el_jelly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:38 am

As far as I have seen on this topic:
- some change to a manual rack and eliminate everything from the ps setup (pump, lines, hoses, reservoir tank, etc).
- some keep the stock power steering rack and just eliminate the pump and lines BUT make a loop at the valve body unit because there's no more fluid being moved around.

To better explain it see this write up on how it's done on a integra: http://www.diymyhonda.com/integra/manua ... rack-free/ and how is done on a civic 5g which I think is better for reference in our cars: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2461681 and here: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2542314

if you saw where the loop was made then you can understand where it must be done on a 4g:

on a 96-00 civic:

on a eg:

I bet the ps steering racks on the ef, eg and ek are very similar, more than the dc. For the response, if you read on those topics people say the feel is almost the same for either swaping a manual rack or staying with the stock ps rack and do the loop method. On this last method since the system doesn't have a resevoir tank anymore (which help venting pressure and vapors) some put a breather others a small reservoir or nothing...the effect of this varies the response of the steering some say. ???

Which is easier? Obviously staying with the stock one and do the loop, removing a rack is not something I would like to do.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby JDMfrank » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for that man. Very helpful. I think im going to go with the manual rack and get rid of everything from the power steering because of a test we have every 2 year's in ireland. And basiccly if i have evidence that the car has power steering but it was removed or modified like in the above post it will count as my power steering not working and fail >:D .
JDMfrank

Return to Tech Discussion