CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

88 lx sedan questions

Anything 4th gen TECH related

88 lx sedan questions

Postby 88lxer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:00 am

Hi guys/gals,
I'm new to the forum and seek advice. We are the original owners of an 88 lx sedan. It has 237K on the original engine and is getting tired. I really like this simple little car and have children who will be driving in 3-5 yrs. The paint and body are in very good cond as it has been always garaged. After reading a bit about swapping engines on your site, I need advice. It leaks oil, the steering is sloppy, resonator is rattling and of course the rear trailing arm bushings are shot. Dropping in a vtec engine w/mpfi sounds like a big performance jump that may or may not be needed. We live in Colorado and may move to CA in the next few years. Thanks in advance for your useful and clever comments. BTW, after looking on KBB.com to no avail, on ebay motors I found an 88 dx w/39K orig mi for a current bid of $2K in NY. Very nice.
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Re: 88 lx sedan questions

Postby 2 Stroke Toy Chest » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 am

good to hear about another orignial owner

as far as swaps there are alot of options and enjoyment
i live in california

just a pre warning we have a F!@#ed up smog rules
so swapping a motor is a bit more of a head ache here

do you plan on staying with a single cam or going to a dual cam motor ?
2 Stroke Toy Chest
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby 88lxer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:33 pm

The car is actually a CA car meaning we owned it there for 17 years before moving out of state. Given the chance we may move back maybe I should just rebuild the original engine and avoid the smog hassles. I did find an estimated value on nada.com. only $2-4K. Seems low for such a good little car. Thanks for the reply 2 stroke.
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby 2 Stroke Toy Chest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:32 am

in the products link there is a spot for
motors / parts
some of them sell crate motors
a single cam zc can still be legal here as long as it is run with all the ca smog appropreate things
(intake mani , exhaust mani , and a si ecu ) and for the most part it will fall with in the same range as a usdm motor but a with alot of life on it

the all come with a warrenty deal so there is that peice of mind

the lx came with a d15b2 right ?
i would recomind something on the multi point injection if so

your welcome
2 Stroke Toy Chest
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby 88lxer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:38 am

Yes 2 Stroke, the engine is indeed a D15B2. I couldn't locate a transmission number but there is a number immediately below the engine number on the block. It is 1009226. It's a 4 speed auto which I reckon all lx models were. Would it be a good idea to have the tranny rebuilt or replaced? Will there be any compatibility issues between new engine and original tranny? I did find a JDM engine at hmotors online....

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc200 ... item=30020

Out of stock right now though. Would need to track down a PM6 ecu? It appears the original ECU is a PM5.

Thanks again for the help. Kind regards.
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby 2 Stroke Toy Chest » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:30 am

that number you stated is the block's vin number

the transmission code is on a sticker that more thatn likely fell off during 20 years of life

depeneds on how the tranny was acting before the removal
just lagging or being sluggish --- a rebuild
if it is missing gears or hard shifting ,grinding ,
a new / used one would be advized
2 Stroke Toy Chest
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby 88lxer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Hello all. It's time to start ordering parts. I intend to start working when the weather warms in May. Please review my list and comment. What am I missing? Tips?

JDM ZC SOHC engine from hmotorsonline $700
OBD0 to OBD1 conversion harness. Should i use Rywire or Boomslang? I want plug and play. No bothering with pin replacement, soldering, etc. $100-150
PM6 or PM7 ecu $100-150
Rebuild original 4 spd auto transmission $200??
90-93 Integra or CRX/Civic Si throttle cable $???
Hoses, belts, waterpump maybe, fluids $200

I also need advice on exhaust. I prefer to keep it Calif smog legal and fairly quiet. I understans that means no header but wonder about after the cat.

One other thing, I would like to rent is the rear trailing arm bushing extractor tool Schley (SCH65100). Anyone?

Thanks all for your help. I'm getting excited to start and teach my kids along the way.
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby el_jelly » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 am

I would have suggested a z6 which is usdm, easier to smog, tune, get replacement parts, etc. but since you want a jdm engine...
Get the ecu for the engine and that can be matched to the auot tranny.
Search on how you can smog that engine for cali before buying it, you will not want headaches in the long run.
Magnaflow and dynomax are simple quiet exhaust for replacement.
If that tool cost less to rent than taking the arms to somewhere to remove the bushings then rent it.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby 88lxer » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks for the reply el_jelly. I was thinking a D16a6 initially. I just wanted to keep the swap simple and don't need a big performance jump. The SOHC ZC non-VTEC or D16A6 seemed the most appropriate in that respect. I will look into smog details though. 2 stroke toy chest mentioned earlier that a ZC will be ok if I keep everything else(intake, exhaust, ecu) in order.

I also hope to use my starter, ac and power steering off my D15b2. Is that wishful thinking?
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby el_jelly » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:52 am

Well the zc sohc non vtec is almost identical to the d16a6 so it would have been an easy swap but since you mention you are also getting a obd0 to obd1 jumper then I suppose you got the obd1 zc. The wiring will be similar to a z6 swap. Some more info: http://hondaswap.com/civic-crx-ef/1990- ... lp-524128/
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby 88lxer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 pm

It's pretty obvious I don't know what I'm talking about. I've done all the wrenching on this car but this will be my first attempt at a Honda engine swap. I have spent hours pouring over this site and others trying to learn.

Perhaps I can state my goals and you guys can tell me which swap to perform. I have a 1988 lx sedan with a D15B2 and automatic transmission with over 200K miles. I want to increase power just a little with the following restrictions: compatible with my original transmission, able to pass CA smog someday if needed, SOHC, and the most simplistic way to wire and vacuum it together.

I know it's painfull for you more knowledgable users helping schmucks and I appreciate all of your help. I want to be driving this car for a long time.

Thanks again.
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby 88lxer » Sun May 06, 2012 5:55 pm

Hello Everyone,
My SOHC ZC from hmotorsonline arrived last week. I'm in the process of the maintenance tasks, ignition components, timing belt, water pump, etc. Afterwards, I will begin the swap. Found the directions from ZCSpeed to be very useful. Thanks again.
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby 88lxer » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Engine/transmission is out. Transmission will be $1000 to rebuild. Wasn't expecting that. Also am replacing front wheel bearings and lower ball joints. Bushings and engine mounts should arrive next week. It's been fun so far. Has anyone seen a MPFI automatic throttle cable? I bought an SI cable but the pedal end stop is disc shaped instead of barrel shaped like my original.
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby cougar289 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:26 pm

You might be able to reroute your stock DPFI cable so you can still use it with your new MPFI intake.

If I were you, I would wouldn't have opted to do a ZC OBD-1 swap. That's going to be a bit of a headache. You would have been better off with a D15B2 rebuild to freshen the bottom end up. Bore .020in, resurface head + block deck for the compression bump. MPFI swap with D16Z6 intake manifold + D16A6 OBD-0 Injectors, D16A6 camshaft, PR4 ecu, and adjustable cam gear. You could have even swapped in a Delta-cams 260 duration regrind. These simple mods would definitely give that sedan a kick in the ass! I hope you enjoy your new ZC though, either way you go it'll be a nice peppy car!

How come the transmission needs rebuilt? If you aren't having problems with it, I would just do a fluid change. Make sure you use OE Honda fluid! If the transmission is slipping/shifting hard then you might be better off swapping in a used trans.

As far as exhaust goes, there really isn't much power to be gained there. If the old exhaust is rusted out then have a new one bent up out of 2in piping. You can also port the stock exhaust manifold if you'd like.

Replace the inner + outer tie rods to tighten up the steering :D
cougar289
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby 88lxer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:27 am

I had heard you can just run the DPFI throttle cable around the shock tower. However, I already bought the SI cable an no return on special order parts. So, I filed the disc into a barrel and it now fits nicely.

The ZC engine is OBD-0. Sorry about my ignorance in the earlier post. Should be pretty straight forward DPFI to MPFI wiring changes. Gonna use a PS9-L50 ECU as I'm hoping to pass smog if I return to CA.

The guy who has my transmission used to run a reman shop for Honda transmissions and has a good reputation. Says the countershaft for 4th gear is bad and something about reverse being bad also. He hopes he can get new parts for such an old transmission.

The right tie rod ball joint boot is ripped and I intend to replace those along with all the other rubber stuff down there. The radius rod bushings look very good. No cracking or visible signs of deterioration.

Thank you for the reply. I'm hoping to be done in a few weeks.
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Next

Return to Tech Discussion