CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Can I convert to intermittent wipers? Slop also in wiper arm

Anything 4th gen TECH related

Can I convert to intermittent wipers? Slop also in wiper arm

Postby Scott91EF » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Strange question I know but I just bought a switch since mine was broken and it has the intermittent option on the knob. My car didn't come with intermittent wipers so obviously plugging this in did nothing. My question is this...is the intermittent function controlled by a relay? Can I just replace the relay with a different one and now have intermittent wipers? It may sound trivial but in the wet Pacific Northwest intermittent wipers are nice.

Next issue is also wiper related. There is slop or play in my wiper arms. Basically you can move them several inches when the wipers are off. When they are on while driving they go off the windshield at the pillar by about an inch and when you turn them off they remain about 1/3 of the way up on the windshield unless you push them down again. Tried the obvious...tightened the arms but that did nothing. I got the linkage and the posts that the wiper arms attach to from the junkyard today but before I rip mine out of my car does this sound like the problem? It looks like it's difficult to get to where the linkage attaches to the motor and the plastic cover that runs along the bottom of the windshield is tricky to remove without breaking.
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Re: Can I convert to intermittent wipers? Slop also in wiper

Postby deathmonkey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:46 am

+1 is it possible to achieve selectable interval wipers in these things without having to rig my wipers up to an arudino?
I didn't see how to list location in a very limited exploration of the user control panel, so I live in Arkansas. Geographically it's in the southeastern United States.
deathmonkey
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby 91B16AHB » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:14 am

Wow...wish I could help, I never even realized any 4g's didn't have intermittent wipers. :-[
I have this problem over 50mph, the faster I set the wipers the further they go over the pilar.

BTW, don't know if you've seen Flash of Genius... pretty cool movie about the dude who invented intermittent wipers. It might help. ;D lol
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?
91B16AHB
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby Scott91EF » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:25 am

Found the answer on another forum...you need a switch with the intermittent function which I now have and a different relay..it's behind the fuse box and should be gray. It has a "B" on it, the non-intermittent relays are marked with an "A"...so back to Pick and Pull to find that relay. I got a used wiper linkage...I'm going to try swapping that out...
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby Tursaanpoika » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:51 am

That relay is a pain in the but to get to...
Tursaanpoika
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby el_jelly » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Yes, you have to remove the whole fuse box to take it out. The play in the wiper could be the nut that attaches the linkage to the wiper arm, or the wiper arm bolt is simply worn out.

Continuing on the topic my intermittent wiper functions sometimes or it starts working and suddenly stops and have to put it continuous. What could be the cause for that, the wiper switch or the relay?
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby Scott91EF » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:36 am

Got the relay, it wasn't that hard to get out. I removed the two 10mm bolts that hold the fuse box in the dash and used a flat screwdriver to carefully pry it off. Did the same to install it and now I have perfectly functioning intermittent wipers.

The slop in the wipers was the right-hand side linkage. Originally I got the left side which was the easier to get out and missed the right so I had to go back for it...overall an easy/cheap fix. I figure it cost me about $35 to replace the linkage and all in all about $20 to upgrade to intermittent wipers but I had to replace a broken swith anyway so it was worth it.
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby Scott91EF » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Just to follow up...I replaced the linkage because the area around the bushings was worn. The metal had actually been worn to an oval as opposed to a circle. This took care of the "slop" issue but I have noticed some "chatter" in the blades, especially if the windshield is just a little wet and occassionally the wiper will go off the windshield especially at high speeds. I have replaced the linkage, wiper blades and made sure that everything is tight. I guess this is just a quirck with a twenty year old car.
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby 91EFbluehatch » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:06 pm

I have had the same problem. i have an intermitten arm switch, but no relay.

i also tried adjusting my driver wiper arm to not go over the pilar. but one day i have enough of it, and i took the driver wiper completly off, and rocked a fully functional MONO wiper!!! shit was legit
91 CIVIC hatch. b16a2 in the works
91EFbluehatch
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Postby Scott91EF » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:18 pm

91EFbluehatch wrote:I have had the same problem. i have an intermitten arm switch, but no relay.

i also tried adjusting my driver wiper arm to not go over the pilar. but one day i have enough of it, and i took the driver wiper completly off, and rocked a fully functional MONO wiper!!! shit was legit

The relay was only a couple of dollars at the salvage yard and was too easy to swap. Let me know if you can't find one and I'll keep an eye out for you.

The wiper arm going over the windshield is just something that I'm going to have to accept...
Scott91EF
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Return to Tech Discussion