CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

How to install a Dead pedal

Anything 4th gen TECH related

How to install a Dead pedal

Postby Issar79 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:25 pm

You can source a dead pedal from any USDM EF Hatch Si's or Wagons. Mine came from an Si, here how I installed it.

First pull back the carpet as show below, you'll notice that there is already a cut out in the insulation for the pedal

Image Image

After removing the insulation you'll see that the firewall is already shaped to accept the pedal. Also you'll notice two spots with dimples on them.

Note: On the Si or Wagon the dimple on the right, closest to the clutch, has an 1 1/2in long thread bolt welded to it. These would normally received the pedal and you would tighten it down with nuts.

Since I don't have any welding equipment I instead drilled holes where the bolt would be and then bolted it down with two self taping bolts.

Image Image Image

I made sure that the holes where smaller then the bolt diameter so I can really anchor the dead pedal in.

After installing just snap the pedal cover on and your done...

Oh yeah to access holes in the dead pedal you need to wedge something like a flat head in the seam and pop it out...be gentle it is plastic.

Note: The dead pedal is installed over the carpet, some people believe the carpet runs over the lip at the base of the dead pedal but this is not true, I've seen two installed from the factory and they both cover the carpet.

Also I installed mine without the foam insulation put back. In retro spec I think I remember the foam being behind the carpet when the I removed the pedal from the SI. This would make sense because it would lift the carpet up more behind the pedal and make for a more flush and clean install. As it is now there are small gaps between the base of the pedal and my carpet. I will reinstall it with the carpet and see if that cleans it up.

Questions?
"The more you know, the farther you can see,"
-Ikuo Kajitani Inventor of VTEC
Issar79
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Re: How to install a Dead pedal

Postby el_jelly » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:42 pm

Nice bro, add it to the how-to section :thumbright: .
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby gtviper2178 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:44 pm

friggin awesome dude, the amount of times we got this question form people, now someone finally made a dyi for it :D good job!
gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby Sandman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:37 pm

I find this interesting since all the 4G's I've had have had these as stock. Interesting to see what it takes to get one in.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic Member ride topic
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 2 Stroke Toy Chest » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:59 am

got to love the convience of luxuary
good stuff chap
2 Stroke Toy Chest
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby el_jelly » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:08 pm

Indexed ;) .
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby Issar79 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:51 pm

WARNING...OK so I just noticed that one of the self taping screws goes enters into the wheel well an inch. I cant tell if it is the top one or the bottom one.

I'm on stock springs and shocks with 13in steelies so for me it doesn't present a problem. But anyone whos' tire is running close to the wheel well might have a 'problem'. Just keep that in mind.

I'm thinking a shorter bolt with a nut on the other end, instead of the self tapping bolt, would be work.
"The more you know, the farther you can see,"
-Ikuo Kajitani Inventor of VTEC
Issar79
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Return to Tech Discussion