CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

d series crank swap?

Anything 4th gen TECH related

d series crank swap?

Postby foreveryoung » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:19 am

wondering if there was a crank i could buy brand new and put it directly in my d15b2? not a d/d just somthing to mess with n rip around once n a while .. cant find a simple queston in the search and i like talking about these things so sorry if its ben talked about too much already i cant find sh_t it seems like
foreveryoung
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Re: d series crank swap?

Postby gtviper2178 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:50 am

you could buy another stock one an have it shaved down to be a knife edged crank, helps make the motor spin faster
gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Postby foreveryoung » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:07 pm

nice thanks ill look into prices for that today :) & do they sell rods or a rodbolt for the d15b2? reason why i asked about the crank swap is because i thought it'd be the easiest cheapest way for compression n power that way i wouldnt have to take off the head like a bolt on n go type thing :scratch: .. with the oem dech height rod length and piston heigth of d15b2 and a d16a6 crank the compression is around 11 iforget i was messing with the compression calculator when i was bored but yeah knife edge crank sounds cool id love to beable to wind out the little motor to 8k.. but i relly want to get the compression around 11:1 not a d/d jus somthing to play with

how big of a cam can i get away with spinning that fast on stock valvetrain? and when i get money and quit buying movado watches :banghead: lol is it worth putting pistons and valves and all that in? because its a 80s car i kinda like the way a non vtec d-series looks in the car like old school motor :/ not in it for big power just a good sound a little pep and beable to take a beating from time to time
foreveryoung
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby 91EFbluehatch » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:16 pm

foreveryoung wrote:nice thanks ill look into prices for that today :) & do they sell rods or a rodbolt for the d15b2? reason why i asked about the crank swap is because i thought it'd be the easiest cheapest way for compression n power that way i wouldnt have to take off the head like a bolt on n go type thing :scratch: .. with the oem dech height rod length and piston heigth of d15b2 and a d16a6 crank the compression is around 11 iforget i was messing with the compression calculator when i was bored but yeah knife edge crank sounds cool id love to beable to wind out the little motor to 8k.. but i relly want to get the compression around 11:1 not a d/d jus somthing to play with

how big of a cam can i get away with spinning that fast on stock valvetrain? and when i get money and quit buying movado watches :banghead: lol is it worth putting pistons and valves and all that in? because its a 80s car i kinda like the way a non vtec d-series looks in the car like old school motor :/ not in it for big power just a good sound a little pep and beable to take a beating from time to time

dont do a knife edge crank.

if you want your comp. around 11, your going to have to get high comp. pistons. aftermarket rods.

you really need to do your research, and based upon your last statement, you sound very inexperienced.
91 CIVIC hatch. b16a2 in the works
91EFbluehatch
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Postby foreveryoung » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:27 pm

i am very unexperienced...
foreveryoung
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby 91EFbluehatch » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:48 pm

research is your friend.

first off, just meerly swapping a crank isnt going to do you anything but throw rods out the block, and slam your pistons into the head.

the d15b2 isnt the best platform to even mod.

if you are still DPFI, which im 100% you are, there is your fist mod.

convert to MPFI. you will notice a good amount of pickup

also you stated you wanted a cam?? not very many cams are available for a sohc d15b2.
you have cams for the z6 and i believe the y8, and a couple of other ones but not the later model b2s.

my suggestion is simply this....read up on all the MPFI articles
1. do the MPFI conversion
2. swap in a d16z6
3. wire in vtec and run a p28 ecu
4. cam it, intake, header and exhaust and it will be a fun little DD.

i had a 93 eg hatch SI with a High Compression z6, ported and polished head, intake, headers and a straight pipe.

would rape integra's and other civics no problem
91EFbluehatch
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Postby el_jelly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Some are forgetting about the d16a6.
- you can use the crankshaft of it on your b2.
- you can use the camshaft of it on your b2. And you will notice some gains.
- there are aftermarket parts for the a6 which will fit the b2. Many internal kits are available.
- people here have built the d15b2 for cheap, the major mod and the most important of course is the MPFI conversion which must be done first.
- yes, a z6 swap is a nice idea but for learning your way is better to work with what you have now. Mod it for cheap, blow it and then think about swaps. ;)
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby foreveryoung » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:46 pm

lol thank you el jelly exactly what i wanted to hear.. i know all about the mpfi and whats good whats not good to mod but im just not really intrested in buying a engne swapping and putting money in it, i have had b18a crx y8 crx b18c/b16a head in 91 integra not looking for power just somthn to do .. of course ill do the mpfi haha , so to clear everything up a d16a6 crank will fit on the d15 rods and the d15 main journels? and its going to be hard to find or not a good idea to put bigger than d16a6 cam in d15b2 head? thanks again!
foreveryoung
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby 91EFbluehatch » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:45 pm

el_jelly wrote:Some are forgetting about the d16a6.
- you can use the crankshaft of it on your b2.
- you can use the camshaft of it on your b2. And you will notice some gains.
- there are aftermarket parts for the a6 which will fit the b2. Many internal kits are available.
- people here have built the d15b2 for cheap, the major mod and the most important of course is the MPFI conversion which must be done first.
- yes, a z6 swap is a nice idea but for learning your way is better to work with what you have now. Mod it for cheap, blow it and then think about swaps. ;)

forgot about the a6!

we dont really mod em that much down here in the lower states in the US
91EFbluehatch
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Postby foreveryoung » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:50 am

haha yea thats what i was trying to spit out on my first post; use d16a6 crank in the d15b2
foreveryoung
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby foreveryoung » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:06 am

and a new a6 crank for 180 .. if everything is going to be this cheap i may end up with a pretty fresh little motor :) any rods or brands and pistons i shoud be looking for or looking out for i want 11:1 comp d16a6 crank d15b2 crank case d15b2 head
foreveryoung
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby el_jelly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:27 am

Race Engineering, Bisimoto and FJT Distributors have many parts including internal kits for the d15 and d16 engines. Check their sites and you will see, there still good aftermarket support for the d-series family.

The heads of both the a6 and b2 are the same but what changes is the internals (camshaft, springs, etc). I think the cam gears are the same too.

I'm not all sure if the blocks are identical (probably the a6 one is stronger). Rods of the a6 are longer than the b2 ones. The extra .1L comes from the little differences in some of these parts.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby foreveryoung » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:50 am

thank you sir, the strength of block should i be worrying about?? id like to rev this thing out alot i drive to LA once a month and would like to rip this thing out their once in a while
foreveryoung
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Postby el_jelly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:09 am

11:1 is a pretty high compression for a daily driving car, it will survive but has to be done correctly and that means good parts and properly tuned which cost a lot.

Remember what they say: fast, cheap, reliable, you can only pick two.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby foreveryoung » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:29 am

its that sensative huh? and its not going to be daily driven more like 2-5 times a month... would i not beable to buy a tund ecu or just regulate the furl pressure ? afc? grrr
foreveryoung
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Next

Return to Tech Discussion