CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Air Conditioner Install

Anything 4th gen TECH related

Air Conditioner Install

Postby NeoBear » Tue May 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Hello Everyone

I have an old 89 3 door civic I was looking to sale because of the lack of AC. It is not because the air is broken, It does not have air at all.

My friend mentioned that I could just purchase a, AC unit and I did some looking around online and prices seem to jump around. I was wondering if anyone may have any idea of what I should be looking to spend and if it is even worth it to do. I live in Fresno CA and we hit triple digits and during these times the car can not be used.

Any advice would be welcome and if possible I could really use a list of everything I may need to consider purchasing
NeoBear

Re: Air Conditioner Install

Postby 91hatchligon » Wed May 18, 2016 5:33 am

From what I understand you should be able to pull the entire system from a wrecking yard and install it pretty much plug and play
91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby NeoBear » Thu May 19, 2016 4:17 pm

That is what I figured as well. I got a quote today from a shop I found that will do it and it was around 2k! I would rather just suffer and try and do it myself then spend that much dang money. I just need to know what I need to be looking for does anybody have a list of items I would need to pull from like a junkyard?
NeoBear

Postby 91hatchligon » Sat May 21, 2016 5:21 am

Found this on another forum

If you want to add A/C to your car, your best bet, or at least least expensive, is to find a pick a part auto recycler. Then find a 88-91 Civic with A/C in it. If you can find one that still has a little charge in the system, that would be best. Pull everything associated with the A/C. If you can, take a digital camera, so you can take some pictures of where/how things come off.

You need the following:

The compressor
The mounting bracket to the block
The tensioner
The belt
The dryer. It is sort of a can like device, on the right. You want to get a brand new one, to put in the car, but you should grab the old one, so you have a reference.
The evaporator, it is what's in front of the radiator
All of the A/C hoses.
The A/C relay
The additional fan for the A/C
The wiring for the compressor, fan and relay
The condensor, it is under the dash, behind the glove box, between the heater core and the heater hoses
The A/C switch which mounts in the heater controls.
I think their is a relay or something to the right, under the dash, connected to the condensor.

The A/C wiring under the dash is already wired for the A/C

You will need to add a small bottle of PAG oil, when you reassemble it in your car.
You should replace all of the o-rings, with R134 compliant o-rings. You will also need to get a R134 conversion kit, to change the refrigerant fittings to R134.

After you get it assembled, then you need to evacuate it and fill it with R134, or you can also use a refrigerant called RedTek.

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby shin nico » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:26 pm

I really want to install one on my car but it seems to be very hard to install it. I guess you must have the knowledge.
shin nico
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Return to Tech Discussion