CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Main Relay in a used car is 4-prong

Anything 4th gen TECH related

Main Relay in a used car is 4-prong

Postby Venusgate » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:52 am

So I'm sort of at my wit's end here on internet searches, so I decided to make an account here to ask persons not named google.

I'm attempting to replace my main relay on my 1989 honda civic (left of the clutch) and the relay in my hand has 8 prongs. The relay under the dash has 4.

This is not the first time this has happened to me, as the last civic I had (1991) had the same thing, but instead of a fancy connector, that car had 4 loose terminals plugged into a small relay, and the other four rerouted to a second small relay. So the whole thing was relatively easy to put back in order.

In this case, I can't find the second smaller relay.

My question is, is this a common "repair"? and do those relays exist for purchase somewhere?

Thanks!
Venusgate

Re: Main Relay in a used car is 4-prong

Postby 91hatchligon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:50 pm

All EF Main relays are the same and only have one plug If they look any different from the ones pictured below then it has been modified by the previous owner.
(Ignore the paperclips)
91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby Venusgate » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:34 pm

I'm aware of that much - I'm saying in the two civics I've owned, both have had the same modification. I don't know the mechanic who did it, so short of having omniscient knowledge of the Civic wiring system, or doing a thorough troubleshooting, I'm a little stuck on how to replace said modifications.

My hope is that others have seen this kind of mod, or know WHY it was modded this way.
Venusgate

Postby 91hatchligon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:08 pm

Find a wrecking yard with an ef cut the main relay harness as far back as you can and redo yours. I found this online I can verify with my car later to see if it matches up.

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Return to Tech Discussion