CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

WTH is goin on here?

Anything 4th gen TECH related

WTH is goin on here?

Postby ajlewis » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:42 pm

I have a problem with my 91 hatch that I've never had with any car. The brake lights won't go out! ...even when the car is off. I removed the fuse and that made no difference, they're still on. The only way to get them to shut off is to disconnect the battery. (which is now dead) Most of the trouble I've had with this car has been electrical. I'm obviously no mechanic.
Any thoughts??
ajlewis

Re: WTH is goin on here?

Postby 91hatchligon » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:01 pm

If the wiring hasn't been butchered then pulling the fuse will kill the circuit and turn off the lights maybe you didn't pull the correct fuse? If the wiring has been messed with/butchered then its going to take some hunting to find the problem. Do the lights get brighter when you press the brake? Or are they stuck on full bright as if you are hitting the brakes all the time? another thing to check is pull each fuse and replace it one at a time until they turn off that will give you an idea where they are wired wrong.
91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Re: WTH is goin on here?

Postby Jon Widmer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:36 am

I bet the little rubber stopper for the brake light switch is gone. Look on the brake pedal, there will be a small switch attached to it that when the brakes are pressed it pulls the pedal away from the switch and the brake lights turn on. You'll probably see a hole there now. There is a plug that goes there and they wear out over time.
Jon Widmer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Return to Tech Discussion