CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

TPS (throttle position sensor) and idle problems...

Anything 4th gen TECH related

TPS (throttle position sensor) and idle problems...

Postby JDMCDM » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:04 am

Alright, so my stock, manual transmission, D15B2, 1990, DX has been having an idle/ power issue. At one point shortly after starting, it would sputter then die, at which I had adjusted the idle a little higher until I could diagnose the problem. I noticed that it had started to idle extremely high after the engine warmed up and saw a video on a 90's cr-x where he took off the piece directly above where the throttle cable connects, it would push down on the throttle making it idle higher, so i removed that and its been idling alright so far... I just received a new TPS in the mail and I installed it, sitting it at 4.5 at WOT (wide open throttle) on the voltmeter. The problem is even after adjusting the throttle screw with the spring on it that points directly out towards the front of the vehicle, and the smaller Allan key adjusted screw with the bolt on it underneath the throttle as far as they could possibly go without falling out, I am still sitting at around .63 at closed throttle on the voltmeter. My ECU threw the code 7 before I got to fiddling around in there but now it only throws code 6. I checked the ECT and it's missing the harness, so essentially it's just two wires sitting on the prongs of the ECT, not sure if that could be causing it? I am about to test drive it and see if it drives any better but ANY help would be much appreciated.
JDMCDM

Re: TPS (throttle position sensor) and idle problems...

Postby Jon Widmer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:43 am

I'd fix the 2 wires to the ect first. That check engine light can really plague how the car runs.
Jon Widmer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Return to Tech Discussion