CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Differences between Canadian and US Civics

Anything 4th gen TECH related

Differences between Canadian and US Civics

Postby metalgear696 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 pm

So i've been hearing rumors from my friend who's been hearing rumors from some dude saying that you fella's up there in Canada have a bunch of tight shit that we dont get down here and i want to know if this is true.  he's been going on about manual steering racks for his 3g accord, a bunch of jdm stuff and different front ends and such.  I live about a 100 miles away from BC and if these kinds of things are true i gotta hit up some BC junkyards.
Thanks
metalgear696

Re: Differences between Canadian and US Civics

Postby el_jelly » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:14 am

yes is true, canadians have so much jdm stuff they even sleep in the right side of the bed ^-^
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby siR in progress » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:17 pm

haha i know i do, but look on the engine rad support and your civic is most likely built in canada. nothing is really different, we had a couple different trim models ie. std=cx and an SE model. the only thing that changes is in the later years of civics like late 90s.
siR anyone?
siR in progress
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby 89 lhd lx » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:19 am

I do believe that the instrument cluster is different in canadian models.  The speedo is on the left not the right.
I love my 4-door
[img width=640 height=480]http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/89_lhd_lx/DSCI0053.jpg[/img]
89 lhd lx
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby Sandman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:36 am

Every single 4G cluster I've seen has had the same layout with the exeption of the SiR cluster.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic Member ride topic
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby r4BBiT » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:24 pm

89 lhd lx wrote:I do believe that the instrument cluster is different in canadian models.  The speedo is on the left not the right.

I don't think so :D

without tach

[img width=640 height=480]http://bulletproof-fxp.org/ebay/pics/IMG_1413.JPG[/img]

with tach
[img width=640 height=480]http://bulletproof-fxp.org/ebay/pics/IMG_1628.JPG[/img]
and many more :P
r4BBiT
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Postby metalgear696 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:46 pm

well one thing i'm noticing with those gauge pictures is that everything is configured like the 88-89 CRX, i've noticed on the Hatch that the fuel and temp gauge are f*ckin huge, maybe it was a DX or something idk.  this is a hatch in the pic right?  two point steering wheel tells me so
metalgear696

Postby Sandman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:59 am

That's a standard cluster for the cheaper models that didn't come with a tach. What's also noteable about the second cluster is that the redline starts at 6500rpm, none of them start that low over here. That could be a US/Can only feature?
Stand up and fight!
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby r4BBiT » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:31 pm

the top one is the stock one from my hatch dx, the one with the tach i pulled out of some crx, i dont remember if it was si
r4BBiT
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Postby el_jelly » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:59 pm

it can be from an lx or ex sedan, both have tach.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)

Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread
el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Postby r4BBiT » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:06 pm

el_jelly wrote:it can be from an lx or ex sedan, both have tach.

its definately from crx, pulled it out myself, just dont remember trim model
r4BBiT
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Postby metalgear696 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:01 am

Sandman wrote:That's a standard cluster for the cheaper models that didn't come with a tach. What's also noteable about the second cluster is that the redline starts at 6500rpm, none of them start that low over here. That could be a US/Can only feature?

must be cause my CRX has a redline of "6500" but it goes to 7, even the stock si went to 7 but still had the redline of 65
metalgear696

Postby Sandman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:14 am

My old ED7 had the standard EDM tach cluster that they had if they had a tach(all of the 1.6's and 1.5's and some 1.4's). The red line in those start at 6750. As you can see from the backround of This picture.

The dohc model redline starts at 7250,VT and SiR are a different matter ofc.
Stand up and fight!
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby onyx2002 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 am

My Canadian DX had standard cluster(no tach) , I got the 6500rpm redline type from an SE model here in Ontario
onyx2002

Postby Robb » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:58 am

I dont have civic but here crx's.

CRX DIFFERENCES:

Here's a list of differences between the years.....if you know of any other differences, please add. Thank You

- 88-89 CRX's don't have side impact beams in the doors, the 90-91 do.
- All CRX's have rear drum brakes except the 90-91 Si's
- 90-91 si's had suede flip down mirrors (on the side that hits the roof while the 88-89's had vinyl
- 90-91 have a round instrument gauge cover while the 88-89 one is more square
- 88-89 door moldings are taller and flatter, the 90-91 ones are shorter but stick out further and have a beveled edge to them. This goes for the ones around the bumper as well.
- 90-91 rear lights have a 1/2 inch black edge all the way around them, the 88-89 do not.
- 90-91 have fake air ducts molded into the bumper, normally for fog lights, US/JDM option.
- 88-89 have slightly different front and rear bumpers than the 90-91
- 90-91 Rear bumper has a lip built into the buttom of it.
- 88-89 Didn't have an option in CANADA only for the front lip, there was in the US a front lip for the 88-89 front
- 90-91 bumper mounted turn signals are clear with amber inserts in them, the 88-89 lenses are just solid amber and shorter in length.
- 88-89 Corner mounted parking lights have their mounting screws visible while the 90-91 ones are attached by hiden screws.
- 91 only headlights have a vent in them to help prevent moisture buildup.
- 90-91 are the heaviest, the 89 is lighter, and the 88 is the lightest. In the USA, each year the hf is the lighter model, then the DX and finally the Si weighs in at the most.
- 88 manual transmissions have an input shaft with 21 splines
- 88 has a 21 spline input shaft, the 89-91's have a 20 spline shaft
- 90-91 clutch is 212mm, the 89 is 200mm and the 88 has either a 200 or 190mm, I can't remember which.
- 88 does not have a clutch safety switch. Which means it will start without having to press the clutch in.
- 88-89 Si models have 105hp, the 90-91's have 108hp due to different ecu settings
- 88 has "ball type Integra Type R" rear control arms. 89-91 have Fork type .
- 88 has slightly different sized front shocks.
- 90-91's have a "bladed" looking wheel while 88-89's have a older looking rim both 14's
- 88 ecu has a different internal design than the 89-91 but the inputs and outputs are the same and ecu's can be swapped between years. I know this one since most chip makers don't offer a chip for the 88 and my car was a gunea pig for Dinan to test a later year ECU on.
- 88-89's have the hazard light switch on the top of the steering column, 90-91's have it mounted on the dash.
- 88-89 Si seats have a white pinstrip, 90-91 Si seats have a red pinstrip.
- 88 has a pocket at the bottom of the drivers door
- 90-91 Si's and have a pocket on the back of the seats.
- 88 cam indexing is the same for all the engines, 89-91 si's have indexing that is different from the other engines.
- 90-91 and possibly the 89 have larger reverse lights that are set further to the sides than the 88

USA Spec Crx's :

88's have pillar mounted seatbelts,90-91 have door mounted belts, 89 si's and dx's have door mounted belts, 89 hf's have pillar mounted belts. I could be wrong on some of this belt stuff, if you can confirm or deny any of it please let me know.

Models with door mounted belts have a wider pillar at the end of the door to accomodate the belt mount, this also means that the glass is and inch or so shorter.

90-91's have a red seatbelt warning light built into the dome light

CRX Weight Differences US + Canada:

1988 CRX HF 1819lbs.
1988 CRX DX 1922lbs.
1988 CRX Si 2011lbs.

1989 CRX HF 1834lbs.
1989 CRX DX 2048lbs.
1989 CRX Si 2138lbs.

1990 CRX HF 1967lbs.
1990 CRX DX 2103lbs.
1990 CRX Si 2174lbs.

1991 CRX HF 1967lbs.
1991 CRX DX 2103lbs.
1991 CRX Si 2174lbs

Interior

Inside the car the biggest difference was the instrument layout from 88-89 to 90-92. The new layout had a higher curved top to the fascia and larger dials. Previous models had the Hazard Warning switch on the top of the steering column. This has been moved over beside the rear window defroster. The Instrument light dimmer was changed also, the old knob type was replaced with a flush fitting version.

Dashboard

JDM Models : The most noticeable difference between the 1.5x & Si is the redline being 200rpms higher on the Si. The Si also has a light for the ECU. The writing is also slightly different. SiR models got a very different dashboard, as we all know the redline starts at 8000rpms. Normally we have a Hatch Open, Battery, Handbrake, Oil Pressure, ECU, Main Beam, and a Catalytic Converter warning light. SiR models also have an ALB and a Low Fuel light.

UK Models : The 1.6i-16 has its speedometer in Miles rather than Kilometers on the JDMs. For the 1.6i-16 the same applies for the dash, 88-89 got the Flat top early dash and the 1990 onwards got the curvy type dash. The 1.6i-VT had its own dashboard like the later curvy top versions.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305 ... luster.jpg

Heaters and Air Conditioning

JDM Models : 88-89 1.5x's Had the standard heater unit where as the 88-89 Si's only ever had the Climate Control heater. From 90-92 all models had Climate Control.

UK Models : As far as i know all UK models only ever got the standard heater unit. I don't think the UK even got Air Conditioning because any i have seen had a blanking plate where the AC switch should be.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305 ... ntrol2.jpg

Seats

JDM Models : From 1990 onwards all 1.5x and Si models had "CR-X" stitched in gray letters onto the seats. SiR models had "CR-X VTEC" in Red stitching. The standard cloth type was a black cord material with thin red strips. Some 1.5x Special Edition models had Gray instead of Red. On 1990 onwards models there was now a softer material, it was much more comfortable as well Si models had Black with Red strips, while 1.5x Special Edition models had Gray with White strips. All standard 90-92 1.5x models had the original cord cloth in black with red strips. All SiR's had black leather seats which were also more shaped. Si and SiR models have a lumber adjuster on the drivers seat.

UK Models : All 1.6i-16 models got the cord material with Black and Red strips. All 1.6i-VT models got the Black Leather Seats. Same rule applies for the "CR-X" stitching.

US Models : For some reason US models didn't get a back seat, instead they got a lockable storage cabinet.

Door Lining and Fittings

JDM Models : 1.5x Models from 1990 onwards had gray plastic door lining and dashboard surround. Si models had the black velvet the same as 88-89 1.5x models. All SiR models had black leather. 1.5x Special Edition models sometimes had cloth inserts on the doors.

UK Models : All 1.6i-16 models had the black velvet while all 1.6i-VT models had black leather. UK models also got a velvet lined glove box where JDM models had bare plastic!

Other Small Differences

From 88 to 89 there was a layer of the black sticky sound proofing added under the rear seat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exterior

Front Bumper, Bonnet, & Lights

JDM Models : 88-89 Models had the deep front spoiler and the bonnet that dips in the center. Si Models had the Hump on the bonnet like the UK spec 1.6i-16 for the DOHC engine. Although it looks very similar to an 88-89 UK spec 1.6i-16 there is a difference. UK models had glass headlights with two bulbs where as JDM models have plastic headlights with a single bulb. The Japanese spec bulb is a different fitting and no where near as powerful. The sidelights are also different for each headlight type. 90-92 models had a softer looking front bumper with fake air scoops and wrap around indicator lights. Headlights and sidelights are also different for this age. Because the 90-92 Si models had the higher bonnet they unfortunately lost there hump. In order to change front ends you also have to change the bar that the bonnet latch is on.

UK Models : 88-89 1.6i-16 models had the deep front spoiler and the bonnet that dips in the center. 90-92 models had extra air scoops in the front bumper but kept the old style bonnet. Therefore they all had a hump on the bonnet to fit the DOHC cam engine. Yet again UK models have glass headlights where as JDM Models have plastic headlights, also the sidelights mount differently for each type of headlamp. All 1.6i-VT models had there own front bumper and the bonnet that rises in the center.

US Models : 88-89 US models are very similar to the UK except they don't have a hump on the bonnet and they also have yellow repeaters on the sidelights. 90-92 Models followed the UK spec 1.6i-16 in that it has the newer bumper and the older bonnet. US models also had glass headlights but they pointed the other way because there LHD.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305 ... umper3.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305 ... umper4.jpg

Rear Tail Lights and Bumper

JDM Models : 88-89 1.5x & Si Models had full colour Red & Orange rear tail lights. 90-92 age 1.5x & Si had most noticeably different light. Instead of the traditional full red & orange colour lights the new ones have a dark red surround and center section. Also the very bottom of the rear bumper has a slight lip sculptured into it. The SiR only ever got the later style rear lights and bumper. Note : JDM models also have a square rear number plate.

UK Models : 88-89 1.6i-16 models had the full colour red & orange rear lights, 90-92 models had the dark red surround style lights, the 1.6i-VT model only had the later dark red rear lights. The rear bumper had a lip on the later ages same as the JDM's. UK spec models also had a rear fog light which replaced the right hand reversing light on the later 90-92 UK spec models. On early 88-89 1.6i-16's they had the fog light set just to the right of the key hole and kept two reversing lights. On European models the rear fog light was an optional extra and was positioned in place of the left hand reversing light because they drive on the other side of the road.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305 ... ights5.jpg

UK 1.6i-VT and JDM Sir models had "VTEC" written under the CR-X logo. Some Japanese models had "Style SII" "Special Edition" or "Exclusive" written under the CR-X logo.

Rear Spoiler

JDM Models : 88-89 JDM 1.5x models didn't have a spoiler as standard. The option was for a raised spoiler. All Si models had the Raised spoiler as standard. All SiR models had the VTEC rear spoiler with the center support the same as a UK spec VTEC. For some reason my 89 1.5x had the VTEC spoiler?!?

UK Models : All 1.6i-16 models had a flush mounted black rubber rear spoiler All 1.6i-VT models had its own raised spoiler with a center support.

(Some times models had a third brake light integrated into the spoiler)

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305 ... light6.jpg

Glass Tint

JDM Models : 88-89 JDM 1.5x models had green tinted glass where as the 90-92 models had brown. All Si and SiR models had the brown tint glass.

UK Models : Some European Spec models got green tint glass.

The Roof

JDM Models : 1.5x Models had a plain roof as standard. It was an optional extra to get a glass roof. All Si and SiR models had a glass roof as standard and had an option of an Electric Sunroof.

UK Models : As for as i know all UK models got the Electric Sunroof as standard.

Badges

JDM Models : Had there badges on the top right on the back of the car. (the black trangle. There were three badges, 1.5x, Si, and SiR.

UK Models : Had there badges on the top right of the back bumper. They were 1.6i-16 and 1.6i-VT. On 88 models the Badge was plain Gray. On 89-92 models they were Gray and Red. There was different shades of grey depending on the body colour of the car.

Other Exterior Differences

Around the side of the car very little has changed. The rubber strip around the car was smaller and some Japanese models had body colour strips. All 1.5x models from 1990 onwards had silver or gold around the bottom of the car instead of black, except for any Special Edition models which had black.

All JDM models had body colour mirrors, door handles, and rear spolier where as European models just had black.

There also appears to be two types of rear mudflaps. Some are about 2 inches longer than the other.

Mechanical

88 Models had a slightly different rear suspension mounting. The inner control arm has a bigger rubber bushing to create the effect of passive rear wheel steering. In effect it help the car turn into a corner.

88 European 1.6i-16 models had drum brakes on the rear, 89 onwards had rear disks.

On 88 us models there was a different clutch, the difference was in the number of splines on the input shaft of the gearbox. I dont know if this is the same for UK and JDM models.

Miscellaneous

Stock CRX Spring rates are 250 lb/in front and 150 lb/in rear

On 90-92 models they made a slight change to the steering column, 88-89 models had four clamp type universal joints where as on 90-92 there is three clamp type universal joints and one wielded onto the steering column for greater rigidity.

90-92 models had a slightly revised joint on the bottom of the gear lever. The old style was a metal bar with two rubber O rings. The later style was a nylon sleeve that slid over the metal bar. The later type would transmit more vibration but would also reduce any slack in the linkage.

89 Onwards models had a different rubber seal on the back of the door handle. The later seal is designed to duct water away from the lock barrel

1990 onwards bodys are stiffer than the earlier models
Robb
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Return to Tech Discussion