CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

Head Gasket Replacement questions

Anything 4th gen TECH related

Head Gasket Replacement questions

Postby Mac Listo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:39 pm

My car was overheating while stuck in traffic but when I started driving the temp went back to normal. Popped my near full radiator cap off and found oil streaks in it. Topped it off and started the car and coolant jumped out.

Rather than just doing a head gasket replacement, what other things should I swap out while im in there? I was thinking ARP Studs, some sort of performance head gasket rather than an O'rielleys or autozone one, maybe do my timing belt and all the stuff attached to that while im in there. Anybody have any links to good replacement parts for my ride?

Engine is a B16a JDM OBD-1
Mac Listo
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Re: Head Gasket Replacement questions

Postby Sandman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:35 pm

I don't know what brand of timing manifacturers you have available, but Gates is who makes the OEM timing belts and they even sell upgrade ones. I suggest you go with that. Replace the water pump and tensioner as well. While the head is off, replace the valve seals as well as the sparkplug seals and valve cover seal.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic Member ride topic
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Head Gasket Replacement questions

Postby po18guy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:11 pm

I would strongly advise that you have the cylinder head surfaced. They warp easily from overheating and the best gasket on earth cannot seal if the head is warped. Do it right. Do it once.
po18guy

Return to Tech Discussion