CIVIC4G.COM Menu header

End of Civic4g.com?

Post suggestions / questions / errors or any comments you may have on the site / forum.

End of Civic4g.com?

Postby bracer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi all,
I don't know if anyone will read this but the time has come to ask the question if I should continue keeping this site up and running. After 19 years of Civic4g.com, maybe its time to pull the plug. The car has become very rare and very few people still own one ;)

So, if anyone is still reading and wants to keep the site alive, give a reply.
If I don't get any replies I know what to do ;)
Thanks
2007 325i
Ex 1991 Porsche 944 S2
Ex 1990 1.6i-VT Hatchback
bracer
Administrator
Administrator

Re: End of Civic4g.com?

Postby Classic_Si » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:56 am

Hi,

Here is the first reply. I just found this site TODAY and saw your questioning about how it might be time to take it down.

I know web sites cost money to keep running with hosting and domain name costs so I understand closing up shop here if traffic has slowed.

Hopefully your site will still be here as I restore my SI that I've owned for 28 years. But if not, I get it.

After one hour here, the forum may have already suggested a solution to my hatchback water leak in the rear spare tire well (tail light gaskets). Thanks!
Classic_Si

Postby 88lxer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:43 am

I own an 1988 lx sedan and this forum was instrumental during a restoration(DPFI to MPFI via ZC) that I performed about six years ago.
The cars are becoming more rare here in Californa but still a few to be found on Craigslist.
I've mostly been a user of this site and don't have much to contribute to the community as I am just a schmuck willing to wrench on a worthy car. There aren't many sources to be found that are 4G specific.
I hope the forum lives on and we can help each other from time to time.
88lxer
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby 91hatchligon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Facebook had taken over for the general purpose of sharing your car and quick questions but I still refer to this forum and others for the immense knowledge available on these cars gathered over the past 19 years. Today I see this post because I'm here to refer a fellow 4g owner some info on dpfi to mpfi. Facebook is not a good archive of shared information. That being said I'd be interested in how much it cost to maintain the site.
Last edited by 91hatchligon on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby Sandman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:05 pm

I should have read this sooner. I have visited without logging in.
That said, I do visit frequently. Not every day by any means.

As for the question. I think the information on this site is irreplaceable and it should stay. Eealizing that traffic is slow these days and the reasons are well posted above, social media. Running this does cost money and effort. For that we may have a solution or two. I also keep pointing people back to the site when ever I can.

Also, I feel that 4G is, and always will be "home on the internet". I have sent you a PM bracer-
Timo Pauniranta, AKA Sandman.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic Member ride topic
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500
Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby cjohnsontech » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm with Marc and Timo on this. I refer people to this forum all the time (the DPFI to MPFI process and the engine swap guides usually). I would be glad to discuss how we can keep this site alive in any way possible. Where is it hosted? Fundraiser? I have a server or two it can move to if needed.
Trying to keep my page current with worthwhile information. PM me if you want me to add something:
http://www.cjohnsontech.com
cjohnsontech
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby bracer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:01 am

Thanks for your replies everyone! Good to see there's still support for the 4th gen :)
Maybe my post was a bit direct but your replies make it clear to me the site still has a function. I'd really like all the info which is inside the civic4g forums to stay available for everyone. Because the forum was pretty much dead I just didn't know if I was the last one left ;)
Another reason to start this topic was the board's software. It's old and vulnarable for spambots and hackers. It really needs an update. I don't mind doing that, but I didn't know if it was worthwile.

The site doesn't use much bandwitdh anymore so the costs aren't that high to keep it online. I'll pay the bill for another year and more if needed.

Thanks for your support :thumbright:
2007 325i
Ex 1991 Porsche 944 S2
Ex 1990 1.6i-VT Hatchback
bracer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby HondaCivic90ED » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:37 pm

Another old member chiming in here. I still have my 1990 Civic. I hope to see this forum and website continue as long as possible.
HondaCivic90ED
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Postby d15b2ef9sir » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:48 am

19 years huh.. this site is hella old. lol.. This is the first EF site I came across many years ago and was active on. Its been like 5-6 years ive been on. Social media kinda took over and not having a working computer at home took me away. I still have my 90 Civic hatch project and will be using this site for some info as I am trying to get more work done to my hatch. I always felt a little out of place like the majority of the people on here are from Europe? idk why but always been helpful. I am from the U.S.A anywho cool to see the site is still up. :)
d15b2ef9sir
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Postby flightmaker » Wed May 01, 2019 7:50 pm

Hi,

I found the site yesterday and joined just now. Please, DON'T close it.

Mine is the 1991 twin carbs Civic. I bought it 1994-12-31 and it's the best car I've ever owned, by a very long way. I was fitting new DEPO headlamps a couple of days ago and the condition of all the metal that I've never seen before is just amazingly good. She's now done 195,000 miles with zero breakdowns. For the past year I've been taking her to events with the Fairford Classic Car Club. At a decent size show there will be multiple copies of most vehicles on show but only one 4G Civic which is normally one of the best looking cars there.

I keep getting approached at filling stations or supermarket car parks by folks who want to admire my car or several cheeky individuals who have asked if I might be considering selling her. NEVER! My son would never forgive me. He came home from the maternity ward in the Civic and he now has a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering.

My next little mechanical project will be to replace the wheel bearings in my trailer because I'm intending to pull it from Swindon. UK to my girlfriend's holiday house near Ljubljana, Slovenia, with my 4G. Then take a ride on the car train and enjoy the beautiful 50 hairpin bends high mountain pass. I see there are some Slovenian members who I might perhaps meet there, and I find myself wondering who owns the poor little black CRX I think it is in Mošnje that's sitting outside a house with the paint peeling off the bonnet. Such a shame.

Please keep this site going for many more years.

Dave Fletcher
flightmaker

Return to CIVIC4G.COM Site / Forum