Flaking paint bumper

Anything 4th gen non-TECH
somedude88
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Flaking paint bumper

Post by somedude88 »

What should I do with this bumper?

I wouldn't mind it black, as the front bumper is black but the previous owner decided to paint the front bumper black and the back bumper the color of the rest of the car lolz. I would also like the trim black too :/

I don't want to spend a lot of money on paint either if someone recommends painting, I would be happy if the paint somehow could be taken off but a powerwasher at the carwash wasn't really doing the trick.

Sandman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Flaking paint bumper

Post by Sandman »

You could try to pressure wash the paint off.
Stand up and fight!
1988 Civic HB 1.6i-16(D16A9) R63 "Rio Red" Member ride topic
1989 Civic 4D 1.6i (D16A7) Asturias Gray Metallic(sold)
2015 Accord Sport Business
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Use some good paint remover, after that wash it and sand it down. You can paint it black using bumper and trim paint, is good and doesn't need an elaborate preparation of the surface like normal paint. Probably that's what the owner omitted when painted it.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

somedude88
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Post by somedude88 »

Do they have in a spray can or do I need to get the gun out?

Also what brands are good and have you had any experience with them?

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

There are many brands out there but one I have used is SEM. My father has used the bumper paint, I have used the interior plastic paint and both are excellent (in my case it could have been better if I have used adhesion promoter ::) ). The bumper paint came in a spray can and he didnt use adhesion promoter, so far the bumper looks good although a little dull. Here's the page with video: http://semproducts.com/product-catalog/ ... er-coater/
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

somedude88
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Post by somedude88 »

Well the previous owner put a clear coat over the from bumper and it looked amazing, till that cracked out too, it looked black as night. That's cool they have a gloss black :-) I might go with the sem, no auto parts store around here had glossy trim paint.

Oh, one more question, my trim is painted, when this guy painted the car he painted everything, including the trim so the car just has NO Definition and it's a a light tan/gold. I wanted to pain the trim strips that go up and down the car to make it look a little more vibrant, do I have to pop the door covers and inside covers off and such to get the trim off without breaking it, there is no paint under the trim he just sprayed it, I'm worried about paint popping off or breaking clips if I try and pull them off from the outside.

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

You can always just tape them off and leave them on the car. Thats what I did, and it came out perfectly ;)

I know I went a little over board, but it was a windy day ::)
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?

somedude88
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Post by somedude88 »

The coat of paint that the last guy put on my car is too bad, I can't tape to it even with painters tape it will come right off, I painted my running boards like under the doors with black and where I masked it, it was coming right off, he used no price and didn't even prepare the surface. I would paint the whole car but I'm not doing that till I do some body work.

cjwang2
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by cjwang2 »

I had the same problem with my DA lip, it was painted the same color as the original car. I took some brake fluid and rubbed it on the paint. Be very generous with the fluid. Then, wait about 15 minutes to a half and hour and the paint just wipes off. Add more brake fluid if there are portions that do not come off. Just be careful not to get it on your car.

As for the black plastic bumper, if it is discolored, get a torch to the black plastic. It will look brand new again. Sounds scary, but it really works. I've done it to all my bumpers and black side moldings.

somedude88
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Post by somedude88 »

:-\ That does sounds nuts. :o

cjwang2
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by cjwang2 »

Yeah, does sound crazy, and I thought it was nuts when I read it on the internet. I tried it and it worked, though. For the torch, just touch the bumper very lightly. As soon as you touch it with the flame, it will look like you dropped black paint on the plastic. Just keep it even and the bumper will look fresh again. Did it 5 months ago and the bumper still looks like new.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Time to put a disclaimer on that, don't want to be responsible for making others incinerate their bumpers.
:P

cjwang2
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by cjwang2 »

You can also use a heat gun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk8U5tKQXQw

But, El Jelly is right, if you do use a torch on your bumper, I am not liable. It is all done on your own risk!

somedude88
L4 - Forced Induction
L4 - Forced Induction

Post by somedude88 »

But I did it before you posted the disclaimer, small claims lawsuit is pending. :D

Austin_tacious

Post by Austin_tacious »

So happy that I read this. Now my bumpers won't look like total [explitive] (at least until I paint them). :thumbright:
ロックしましょう "Let's Rock"

I'm going to need a bigger garage.

My project is my DD.