selecting my path

Anything 4th gen TECH related

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

selecting my path

Post by rip-x »

okay, so im planning to do an engine swap on my civic in the spring time as my current D16,has had a hard life, and is leaking oil like a sieve. my current setup is Turbo with a minimal supporting build, running ~8-11PSI. and i like the the idea of turbo. what i want to know is should i just buy another D16, and build it up again, and swap that into my car, or go big, and build a B18B? what would advantages and disadvantages be? this would be my first swap, but i'm not completely ignorant as to the details and such. any help, or suggestions would be a great! i have hopes of making this car a head turner when all is said and done. ;D

just because i'm new, heres what my baby looks like as of now.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Re: selecting my path

Post by el_jelly »

I would stay with another d16, but a z6.
- most of the turbo parts on your current setup will fit.
- properly build and tuned it will give a lot more power than your current d16 setup
- you can use the tranny you have now.
- easier and cheaper swap than a b.

Obviously a b18 turbocharged will give you a lot more power than your current setup, but it will be more expensive, harder to swap, you need a new tranny, etc plus the tuning, etc. Stay D 8) .
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

Welcome...looks like you have a good platform...
oh and stay D x2 ;)
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

okay, if i'm thinking of the right engine, the Z6, i was told that vetc doesn't play well with forced induction, is this just a myth then? and if my car does not have vtec, do i just need to find the correct ECU that goes with the engine to engage it? (+wiring)

thanks a lot for the help guys, i would be lost if i had to decide all this alone, ha ha! :D

akMe

Post by akMe »

What engine do you have now? and what OBD? 0 ?
If you going to z6 => to obd1 ; You need wiring+ ecu. :)
If the new engine has ignition device etc. :)

z6 it's really good option but try think about b16 and compressor it's better than b18 becouse it's easier to swap.
(i mean it's little smaller and in c4g you don't have a lot of space under hood)
o you need any EDM PARTS? >>> edmparts.pl <<<
Or just PM !

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

going off this thread
-> http://www.civic4g.com/index.php/forum/ ... f=8&t=9501
i would say yes, its OBD 0, MPFI, and i think i have the D16A6, its not vtec...
i would rebuild my core and take advantage of my current parts, but i just dont trust the set-up, i mean, the cars just not properly built, this poor engine is pushing it limits... its a minimal build behind this thing. and as i said before, im not entirely oblivious to what im going to be undertaking. i have a few years of 12v wiring, and mechanics behind me, so im pretty confident in myself, and my project. i just just want to know whats my best shot of success, and what i will be happy with.

again, thank you all for the help! =D

gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by gtviper2178 »

seeing your setup already id say D as well.

foreveryoung
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by foreveryoung »

zc

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

so if i go the route of D16Z6, would my best bet be to buy a del-sol and use it as my donor? i would assume it would have everything i would need on it, to mod into my 4G.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

I think it will be easier to get an si or an ex to get that z6. A del sol probably will cost more, at least here that would be the case.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

el_jelly wrote:I think it will be easier to get an si or an ex to get that z6. A del sol probably will cost more, at least here that would be the case.
there pretty hard to come by here too, or at least, at a price that im willing to pay, for a car im going to strip down...
theres no use turning savage on a mint del-sol, when someone would actually enjoy the car, ha ha. what gen. would i attempt to track down for the z6?

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

oh, nevermind, found my answer here :D
http://www.civic4g.com/index.php/forum/ ... p?f=8&t=97

along with everything else i was wonder about, except my question remains, does VTEC play well with boost? ???
will the VETC actually be adding anything to my setup after i strap the turbo on?

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

A more aftermarket friendly engine and obd1 setup. Some vtec turbo cams can give plenty of power at high rpms. Tune the vtec activation point precisely and it will help a lot, specially with turbo lag. Some argue the a6 is better platform, some prefer the z6 for parts availability and high rpm potential. Is a good engine but the ultimate choice is yours.

91B16AHB
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 91B16AHB »

Like el said, the Z6 is alot easier to come by...
akMe wrote:z6 it's really good option but try think about b16 and compressor it's better than b18 becouse it's easier to swap.
(i mean it's little smaller and in c4g you don't have a lot of space under hood)
B18, B16, B20....all the same size block.
And will an acura crx seat on the 90's era fit my 90 dx?

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

doing my research here, and a Z6 Si donor car is looking very easy to come by, like i was told. i think i will look into my parts costs, and associated information today, and see what i can do with the engine. i found a link to this site in another thread -> http://www.angelfire.com/d20/hcivic88/4 ... 6swap.html
and i gave it a read through, and its actually a lot easier then i had expected. the only things i would expect to seek help with will be my tuning. as far as tuning the Vtec RPM activation, would i need to get a hondata tuner of some sorts? i think it was in that like above, or in another thread someone said after the swap, a stock Z6 in a 4G, can run high 15's, and i like how that sounds ha ha.