new engine problem

Anything 4th gen TECH related

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

new engine problem

Post by rip-x »

hey guys, im in a tight spot, i bought another civic the other day. 1989 SI, with a D16a6, but im told it spun a barring, and my old civic, has a d15b1, can i use the bottom of the d15, with the PM3 head, and run the PM6 ECU that i believe is in my '89 civic? i just need to get the car to run for now, i can rebuild a D16 on the side and swap again later. any input helps, thanks.

~kyle

gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Re: new engine problem

Post by gtviper2178 »

not much of a single guy but im sure itll work with the 15 block. when i think about your plan i think of the mini me swap which has the 16 head on the 15 block.

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

exactly what i want to do, but i have to get one of the civic's out of my driveway, and the other one running. i was thinking swap the d15 for now, and down the road slam on a VTEC head. or perhaps rebuild the A6 bottom end if its salvageable out of the car and drop another engine later.

gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by gtviper2178 »

id suggest going for it but car also gotta be MPFI for the 16 head

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

i believe it is MPFI because it has 4 injectors. will the tranny on the D16 fit onto my D15? the tranny thats mated to the D15 right now has a shitty 3rd gear is why i ask, both are 5 speed manuals.

~kyle

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

The trans will fit other d-series engines, even vtec ones. And you will be happy since the d16a6 tranny has better gear ratio than the d15 has, that means good performance. However don't throw away the d15 tranny, you can use it in the future for either parts or as spare tranny.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

wow this all actually worked out nicely. thanks for all the help guys.

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

alright i got a couple more questions here, i was reading about the "problem" where the mini-me has a high compression. if my D15 block was built for boost should i still be concerned about failure? and how can i find out if my Si has an LSD in it or not? i was also looking into ways to activate VTEC, and it suggested this ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-830449-1/ ) as an option, with a new Fuel pressure regulator. will that work?
thanks
~kyle

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

i got my Y8 head today, and just need to get my head bolts tomorrow. i just have one remaining question that is vital to know to complete this project... im not 100% sure what my Vtec wiring is... i got my head off a 98 civic, and it has a single wire plug with a green/white wire (i now know this is to engage vtec), and another 2 wire plug with blue and black (now know this is an oil pressure switch).

new question, is this a Normally open pressure switch that i can use to control vtec activation? (vtec wont engage unless the sensor see's pressure)

gtviper2178
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by gtviper2178 »

your post made my head confuse but from what i did/ know your vtec consists of three main wires. one is the vtec solenoid itself which runs directly the ecu, second is oil pressure switch and that requires two wires, one wire to ecu and other wire is the ground wire which is usually attached to the thermostat housing and yes the third wire i mentioned is the oil pressure switch ground wire. if you need to find where to plug those wires in then google where to plug them into your ecu because some ecus have different places for the wires and you most likely have to run those wires seperately since our cars dont come with vtec in our stock harnesses but its cake work if you know how to fondle with wires.

rip-x
L1 - DPFI
L1 - DPFI

Post by rip-x »

i am going to use a piggy back system to my ECU to run Vtec rather then rewire my car. im going to keep it OBD0. i got it all in today, got it running, and it runs stunning. just gotta wire in the VTEC stuff, and shes all done. thanks for the help with this guys. ;D

deathmonkey
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by deathmonkey »

Speaking of D16Y8's, I'm having immense difficulty in finding enough parts for the 90-91 5 speed to rebuild it. What parts would need to be acquired to put a D16Y8 engine and transmission in there?I can get that shit for ~$400 at the junkyard and rebuild with easy parts availability at my leisure. Engine/trans aren't broken yet but I'd like to have extra sitting around for the day when they are.
I didn't see how to list location in a very limited exploration of the user control panel, so I live in Arkansas. Geographically it's in the southeastern United States.

el_jelly
L6 - Race Bred
L6 - Race Bred

Post by el_jelly »

Y8 tranny is hydraulic, our stock ones are cable type so you will need adapters to use the Y8 one.
IHeartMySTD wrote: We all know we like our women and cars with D's, not B's!!!! ;)
Where most of the questions are already answered > Engine swap guide, FAQs and Index thread

2 Stroke Toy Chest
L5 - Built Motor
L5 - Built Motor

Post by 2 Stroke Toy Chest »

obd-1 motors or the z6 more so highlighted are also hydro transmissions

deathmonkey
L2 - MPFI
L2 - MPFI

Post by deathmonkey »

el_jelly wrote:Y8 tranny is hydraulic, our stock ones are cable type so you will need adapters to use the Y8 one.
Well, I used to have a 99 ex coupe with a 5 speed and I know it was hydro clutch. I figured that since the whole reason I'm swapping to the y8 is to get a totally rebuild-able for the foreseeable future transmission and also figured that it would require a new clutch. Can I keep the same clutch and use an adapter, use a new clutch with an adapter, or just swap the clutch with all the crap I get from the 2000 ex donor car?
I didn't see how to list location in a very limited exploration of the user control panel, so I live in Arkansas. Geographically it's in the southeastern United States.