A bad wheel bearing?

Anything 4th gen TECH related

Shertigal

A bad wheel bearing?

Post by Shertigal »

Hello!! SOOOOO, a year and a half ago I got this 1989 Honda Civic Hatchback DX and a lot has happened. This car has acted as a commuter for me ever since I've had it as well as the owners before me (that's what they told me anyway). It's got around 260000 miles on it.

Anyway, I don't know any of the repair history beyond what I have done. I just got the timing belt and both axels replaced. I recently changed the oil. Here are my problems/symptoms.
- When I reach around 65 mph to 80 mph on the freeway the car vibrates a little. It's been slowly getting worse since I've had the car, but most noticeably this last month and a half.
- After replacing the axles (2 days ago) I hear this whistling whine coming from, what sounds like my front passenger wheel. It starts around 15mph and stays until I slow down to get off the freeway, then it's gone for the rest of the drive. It stays consistent during turns.
- When I got the car back from the mechanics for the axel, they said something about the tires/wheel needing to be replaced ASAP... I registered it as tires, but I'm doubting my memory. I'm calling them tomorrow to double check.

There are a couple more issues with this car-the starter's going bad, the AC no longer works, It revs when I pick up speed to fast at 20 mph..-- but I'm most concerned with this one. I would love it if some more mechanicly inclined people helped me out here. Is it a bad wheel bearing?

Looking for help,

A stumped college student

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Re: A bad wheel bearing?

Post by 91hatchligon »

Normally wheel bearings going bad are a low grinding/growling noise. not sure what a whistling noise would come from. If the mechanic replaced the axles and the noise started after they did that I would take it back and ask what the noise is. Old tires can cause vibrations. Its not often that wheels go bad unless they are bent or have heavy rust.
The starter is a fairly easy project to tackle on your own two wires two bolts the bolt on the back is a paint to get to but not impossible. The A/C might just need a recharge would be worth having looked at. You say it revs when you accelerate are you saying that the engine speeds up but the car does not? Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

Shertigal

Post by Shertigal »

Automatic.

That's exactly it! The engine speeds up but the car doesn't. Every time it happens I take my foot of the gas pedal for a sec before continuing forward and it won't do it again until I come to a complete stop and press the pedal to hard, to fast when accelerating:/

91hatchligon
L3 - Bolt ons
L3 - Bolt ons

Post by 91hatchligon »

Check your transmission fluid. Make sure you check it with a warm/hot engine leave it running and in neutral when you check it. If its low then fill with correct fluid and see if that helps. Also a good idea to have a transmission shop drain and refill the trans with fresh fluid. Otherwise the trans might be on its way out.